Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack

Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack 2014-11-06

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Whether or not the single prefix CP should cover all of those variations and whether or not SD should fall under the CTF prefix is irrelevant, the question to answer is "What is SD?" and the answer to what makes up the gameplay of an SD map doesn't change in light of those ultimately superficial aspects.
Not even all CP maps have the CP prefix. TC is the perfect example of that.

The problem atm is that there is no real clue on what SD actualy covers and for that reason its hard to tell what is a must, and what is a gimmick.

What i suspect to be required for SD :
  • A neutral flag that once taken by a team remains for that team until its timer expires:
    This probably requires some entity work to handle the owner. Both on pickup and resetting.
  • A capture point that requires a longer time with the capper on it
    That its a moving elevator doesnt matter, it could aswel simply be a gate opening on a stationary point. The elevator is a gimmick to me.
  • A final cappoint which makes you capture the flag
    This is where you finaly deliver the intel and is only unlocked when the cappoint has been taken (the gate is open/the rocket has opened). And it will remain shortly open even if you are pushed off the point (although thats again something that could be map specific).

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
If all it is is a neutral flag with a mutual cap zone, why isn't it CTF? The CP designation covers many variations of "plain" capturing points, so CTF should be able to cover a basic one flag variant. Granted it could just be valve deciding to give it a different prefix for the heck of it but...
One could say the same of PL and PLR.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Environment Help?

Do you think you could add the train from well in? The gate animations and all?

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
You could simply copy those directly from Well (I think valve distributed some .vmf's with hammer, but have a link anyway: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=5952) or set them up yourself - it's just a bunch of path_tracks, func_tracktrains, and probably func_door_rotatings activated when the train passes a path_track.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
So uh, hey, I found out the other day that light entities aren't automatically lumped into the "Lights" visgroup. That's something that your custom FGD can be updated to fix, right?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Both have been noted and added for next update. As with the last autovisgroup thing, you can add it yourself right now by putting this near the top of tf-abs.fgd

Code:
@AutoVisGroup = "Entities"
[
	"Lights"
	[
		"light"
	]
]

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
I don't know if this is because I was using an old version, but some door prefabs have the dynamic prop part of the door set to solid, where its collision pokes out past the brush func_door, and stickies stick to the prop and stay in the air when the door opens.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Hey ABS, I mentioned this before but couldn't pin point the issue, but I finally figured it out! The "Time has been added" voice line is not working on your 5CP set up. This because yours is set to "SetTime" instead of "AddTime".

All other 5cp maps add 10 minutes to their counters with the max being 10 minutes. While just setting it to 10 minutes sounds more logically efficient, it cuts out the announcer line that signals the point having been captured.

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Oh. You didn't mention which things weren't working last time so everything I looked at related to the points themselves was working. :s Didn't think about the timer announcements.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah, I hadn't quite pin pointed what was missing, I just knew it was quiet after capture. I was looking at the same stuff as you. Loading up any 5cp map and capturing would have told me, but I hadn't put much effort into the problem yet. Heh.

lackofderp

L1: Registered
Jun 24, 2014
Sorry but I just got started in creating tf2 maps and i can't find the prop thing that came with the pack... Help please?

Oh btw i love this pack its so helpful, especially for newbies like me :p

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
By default the library should be placed in common\Team Fortress 2\content\tf\mapsrc, which is also the default save location for your VMFs.

Also a word of caution: if you are new don't rely on the game modes and prefabs too much. The original intent of this was to remove tedium that experienced mappers had to go through. It is best to learn how to make things yourself before you use stuff that is premade, otherwise you still won't know how to set stuff up when you want to branch out and do your own thing in the future. :) Use the pack if you like, but also look at how entities are set up and try remaking some of it yourself.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Also a word of caution: if you are new don't rely on the game modes and prefabs too much. The original intent of this was to remove tedium that experienced mappers had to go through. It is best to learn how to make things yourself before you use stuff that is premade, otherwise you still won't know how to set stuff up when you want to branch out and do your own thing in the future. :) Use the pack if you like, but also look at how entities are set up and try remaking some of it yourself.

Yeaaaaaah, I know I should listen to this, but I want to take part in the 72h contest and I stand little chance of getting to a1 even with access to this. What makes it worse it that I'm planning to do Payload...

EDIT: ok, at that point I was gonna beg for help about how to delete a point from a payload map to go from 4 points down to 3. But then I decided to play with it a little more and I solved the problem and my new track works perfectly, from hud to noises to everything. Verdict? If you're inexperienced, DO use the Boojum Snark resource pack - with a little brain power, it's a far better tutorial for understanding the ins and outs of hammer than the wiki alone.

Feeling so pumped right now. :O

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Oh, and on top of the stickies sticking to doors problem (incidentally, what's the fix for that again?), I noticed that since the payload points have no collision, you can hide stickies in them.