[TUTORIAL] Flowing Water

Crimson

L3: Member
Nov 25, 2007
Good idea but not a viable option for my map. Everything is inside of a cave and theres not a whole lot of moving going on. And its within about 2048 that my FPS goes to crap so a pretty good ways.

I am thinking it is just a setting that is going nuts. I dunno though... I am hoping Boojum has some idea why.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Not sure why that's happening, it didn't for me in my test map, and I never get near 200 fps to begin with so a drop would've been more noticeable. Would you send me the map and let me have a look myself? PM me a link if you have someplace to upload it, otherwise you can email me it, aboojumsnark [at] gmail.com

Crimson

L3: Member
Nov 25, 2007
It seems to have fixed itself somehow. I have recompiled a couple times and after building cubemaps it does not seem to do it anymore. If I have the problem again I will shoot the vmf over to you.

Thanks very much man, it looks wonderful!

*Edit*

Just to make sure, this is fairly cheap correct? I have to large waterfalls in my main choke point and don't want everyone lagging out lol

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
It shouldn't be much more expensive than any other cubemapped surface. The deformation of the reflection might add a little bit more, but with everything else that is going on in a game I don't think it'd make much of a dent.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Im using something similar to this with my water fall in avantiville...

I got a question for ya

How would one use a water texture on a vertical face? Can I change one of the attributes in the vmt to allow me to use water going up n down.... its just in the skybox so no one will be touching it:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/l3eeon/cp_avantiville_b5_0060011.jpg

Right now its just a clear scrolling water texture... it needs a blue color underneath it, but it wont let me use water on a vertical face

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
You "cant" use a real water texture on a vertical surface. A real one with reflection, refraction and the color-tinting of stuff behind it just won't function properly on anything but a flat surface.

There are a plethora of VMT parameters that have to do with real water, and when making fake water like I did it's easier to start from something closer (the hydro cheap water).

My only suggestion (unless you just make a water-like image) if you really want your water looking bluer is to try tweaking the $envmaptint parameter over to the blue side (it's an RGB value, so raise the last number) which will make the cubemap reflection more blue.

Vangald

L1: Registered
Aug 2, 2008
Whatever happened to this then? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3fF6uiAyFk&feature=iv"]YouTube - Dynamic Water Demo 1 (Valve's Source Engine)[/ame]

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
would that scrolling work on a displacement?

P.S. that video in the above post isn't working.

edit: i clicked the title, it seems to play on the youtube site fine, just not through the hotlink.

Last edited:

Master

L1: Registered
Nov 29, 2008
Vangald, how do u make dyanmic water like that?

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
Vangald, how do u make dyanmic water like that?

Only by making a mod and changing the source code. That's really not dynamic water, just an imitation that follows a couple rules, but is really, really limited.