(Tutorial) Decompiling maps with BSPsource

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Berry, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Berry

aa Berry if you read this you're a nerd

Positive Ratings:
    An updated tutorial for decompiling was requested by Open Blade, seeing as that thread is for outdated programs.

[​IMG] BSPsource can be download here free: http://ata4.info/bspsrc/downloads.html[​IMG]
    [​IMG]If you want official maps, there's a thread of readily available-to-download vmfs for official maps here (can't guarantee updated).[​IMG]

0. Download (or disregard such if you already have bspsource) and launch BSPsource.

[​IMG]

1. Hit "add" and locate your file. For this example I'm going to locate polarbeam. 99% of the time, the map you want will be in this folder (assuming you use the default directory on Windows, Program Files interchangeable with Program Files (x86)):
    C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\

or for pre-steampipe: ...\Steam\SteamApps\>your username<\team fortress 2\tf\maps

[​IMG]
    After hitting Add, locate your map (check the directory trees above if you don't know where they are)

[​IMG]

2. Hit "decompile" then locate where you want to save your map. I suggest you use your default hammer bsp folder to keep things tidy, which will be either of these:

Default maps should be stored in the post-steampipe map location. Assuming you installed in the default Windows directory, the directory trees should be either of these:
    (Pre-steampipe:) C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\>your login username<\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\
    (Post-steampipe [NEW MAPS AND OFFICIAL ONES SHOULD BE HERE]:) C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\content\tf\mapsrc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Your map should be decompiled into the provided location now (provided there's no errors, but I've never had any)

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    For some time, my bspsource.exe/.jar have opened BSPinfo instead of BSPsource. I have tried reinstalling it and all that jazz. All to no avail.

Does anyone know what would cause such a bizarre problem?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Use bspsrc.bat

4. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Oh bother. Turns out the path was set incorrectly. Wierd... You usually get an error message when that happens.

Oh well, i just reset the java path and now it's working fine again.

5. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I recommend disabling areaportals when you decompile because bspsource doesn't handle areaportal merges properly. I also recommend using a version from before they batched func_details because the batching makes editing func_details harder.

6. KaidemonLP

KaidemonLP L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    For some reason it doesnt open. Any idea why? I do have java