Things I learned from our Third Annual Contest

McNuggetFiend

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
I would love to work out something with my server to help sponsor an Arena/Koth mapping contest, I'd be willing to fit the bill on some prizes :)

My server is always trying out the latest Arena/KoTH maps on here that are being shown and have been wanting to help out with something like this. May not be able to be an Annual huge mapping contest but again, message me if you'd like to discuss this further :)

pitto

Feb 17, 2009
I have learned quite a lot from this contest since this is my first map that I took all the way from alpha to beta.

Firstly I about layout and game play, only one building from the first alpha remains in stage A, everything else has changed since then, with stage B having two totally different versions and the same with round C.

I found out about the dreaded "Too many t-junctions to fix up!" and how to make changes to work around it.

I found out how to get a custom model into the source engine.

I found out that pakrat does not automatically find model textures (Thanks Youme).

To my horror I was able to stop the cart in its tracks by accidentally placing brushes too close to its path.

Well that's the main ones I can think of now.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
Well, meanwhile can we get a texture making mini-contest going? just like a 2 week long thing, just get get everyone learning a new skill and giving projects a go.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I learned like everything in hammer. :p Before the contest started, the only thing I could do was: making brushes. During the contest I learned making displacements correctly, I learned a lot about the entities, I learned how to seal areas in your map, and finally I understood how to do optimization. :D

Blue552

Sep 16, 2009
If someone can develop a worthwhile game type I say we try something original.

Then Again 5CP could be fun.

Wegason

Aug 16, 2009
A contest for 5 CP maps and Gravelpit style maps would be ideal IMO

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
But make it a co-op contest. :D

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
I learnt that contests are at the wrong time of the year for aussies/ kiwis.

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
I learned that it is a BAD idea to try and do lots of last minute improvements to one's map while one is trying to pack up their entire apartment and move... >.>

I am way too exhausted from that. Though from mapping, I personally just learned a ton from doing all that. Bayou is the first map I have actually gotten to beta status, and am REALLY happy about that! XD

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
KOTH is a bit too simple. My vote is for 5CP/3CP maps.

Bah, and have my brand new 5cp map excluded because it was started early?! How cheap. I'm thinking CTF is feeling a little neglected at the moment. 1 official port and 1 custom made official (that isn't all that great really).

edit: Oh wait.. they converted sawmill too.. meh. Hardly worth the mention tbh. NEED MOAR INTEL

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2008
i learned that:
*water in the skybox is bitchy*
*displacements are a blast if used right
*the subdivide tool takes hours and
*it takes again hours to unsmooth it so it doesn´t look fake
*better understanding of visleafs and func_viscluster
*areaportals can actually be used on water
*not working with just-stock is painful but rewarding
*the community-support is excellent
*everyone thrives from a tough competition
*help is always present and everyone lends a hand
*the deadline has some wiggle-room :D
*backup software is worth gold :)
*working with dev-textures first pays off
*it´s always polite to ask first before using someone elses entity-setups (thanks Icarus)
*ABS rocks
*Valve rocks
*writing "what i´ve learned" lists is actually fun

Last edited: