The Point and Shoot and The War Head

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
I've reached the point where I don't even care anymore.
"Oooh. There's an all-class hat that looks like the hats those tiny guys with the yellow eyes wear in Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy? Neat."
"There's a Doctor Who bowtie for the Medic and Spy? OHMYGOD."
Yeah, it doesn't fit with the style of the game. It gets rid of the silhouettes, and it's another way for Valve to make money. But as long as it doesn't impact gameplay, I'm fine. I'll know a Medic is a Medic whether he was a halo floating above his head, a top hat, or a mage's hat, and regardless of if he has a tiny bow tie around his neck or a classy pocket handkerchief tucked into his shirt pocket.
The game is 4 years old. Most game developers don't support a game longer than 1 or 2 years. You don't see new DLC for Halo 3, Activision doesn't support Call of Duty 4, 2K doesn't still patch Bioshock. It's great to still get new official maps and new environments to play on even if it means putting up with side metagames that don't effect gameplay. And all of this new stuff is free. You don't pay Valve $5 to play Viaduct Event or Gullywash. Payload wasn't an exciting new gametype that could be yours if you give Valve $10. It was free, done for a long time as a thanks for the community playing the game.
Nowadays, with sales drooping, Valve has turned to adding in a metagame alongside the stock game, that doesn't effect gameplay. They make money off of this, giving them incentive to continue supporting the game. If there was no money involved, if everyone who would have gotten the game already would have bought it, then they would have given up support for the game long ago.
While it's true that they've recently allowed this to take over the TF2 business model and created this new way of earning money through metagames rather than the old way of doing things to thank the playerbase, at the very least they're keeping the player base strong, keeping the game fresh and preventing everything from going stale. Think of hats like the Horse Armor DLC in Oblivion, purely cosmetic things you can buy to make yourself look better.
The moment they begin making weapons that effect gameplay and are uncraftable and undroppable, then I shall be upset. But for now, at least this game is still alive.
Try joining a server from any other non-Valve game released in 2007. See how long it takes you to find a full one.

E: Ninja'd by Grazr. You make valid points about paints, but I do raise a question about all-class hats. I concede most of the point, assuming a class wearing an all-class hat is in cover and you can only see the top of their hat, but how often does that situation occur? For the most part (although not always) cover is high enough where you can't see a character at all, or low enough to expose their head. I disagree with items like Monoculus or the HHH's Head which obscure the entire head of a character, but for the most part, hats don't make a character any stronger or weaker. The only time it may have any effect is in a VERY situational... situation, and even then you wouldn't be able to kill them anyway, since hats don't modify hitboxes (or at least I don't think so).
If you see the top of a hat exposed, then if that class WASN'T wearing a hat, you wouldn't be able to see it at all. If anything, it gives you a bit of an advantage, telling you that there is someone there, hiding, where otherwise you wouldn't know.
I do agree with you on non-team colored paints. A lime green Ghibus poking out the top of a piece of cover would warrant me shooting some rockets at it, even if it turned out the owner was a teammate.

Immersion... Well, that differs from person to person, doesn't it? I've always thought of TF2 like a big cartoon. The plot doesn't always make sense, and nothing takes itself seriously. While I agree that going down the path of things that don't fit characters was a bit of a mistake (Saharan Spy, Wee Booties, Machina, Bison, etc.), it's over now, there's no going back. I can't justify it in game logic, so I assume it's just sort of the cartoon aspect, where anything goes and nothing has to make too much sense if you think about it long enough. I get immersed by stories, and story in TF2 isn't exactly the strongest thing about it. 2 teams hate each other, the world is owned by corporations, these corporations hire mercenaries to beat the hell out of each other and try to put the other out of business. With lasers. And missiles. And bombs on minecarts.
It doesn't make much sense, but I enjoy it. Although I can't say I'm completely immersed to the point of Skyrim, which has thousands of READABLE individual books, each the length of a considerably long newspaper article, as well as a complex mythology dating back thousands of years with very few contradictions compared to other stories with a mythos of its size (Star Wars Expanded Universe, lookin' at you), it's enough to make me laugh. I never have taken TF2 seriously, even back in the day before the Medic or Scout updates, back when TF2 first came out.

I don't play TF2 as often, either. My current gameplay statistics screen looks EXACTLY like yours, minus the Warhammer. Not because I don't like TF2 or don't find it fun, but simply because I haven't found the time to play, and the people I play with in the pubs have no skill whatsoever and it's simply not as fun to sit there and backstab the same Pyro for the 12th time because he has no idea how to find and kill me. For the time being, I have Skyrim taking up my free time, and I'll probably continue to play Skyrim and Minecraft until I get the urge to dominate people that don't know what a rocketjump is by Market Gardening them to death in TF2. Or until the next TF2M gameday or impromptu, when I can actually fight people of equal or greater skill.
I would use TF2 Lobby if it didn't take so damn long to get a group of players together, if everyone wasn't afraid to deal with the stress of being a Medic, and if half the players didn't drop by the time we finally got ingame.

Last edited:

Verumae

L1: Registered
Jun 16, 2011
If you left TF2m because you couldn't handle the fact that you shared a minority opinion or that people like to complain a lot then i really don't know why i'm even replying to you seriously if not to at least correct some misinformation and/or poor observation on your part.
I'm not on either side here, but this is just wrong and that's unacceptable.

You said that he left because he couldn't handle the fact that he shared a minority opinion. If I've learned anything here, it's that this place is super hipster. I'll go ahead and give an example: Battlefield 3. A LOT of people here think Battlefield is better than CoD. Here's the thing: That's a minority opinion. But you think it's a good opinion, right? Right. And you think the majority opinion is wrong, right? Right. You completely failed to accept his point of view and instead dismissed it as the minority opinion. Additionally, this is NOT a matter of opinion. TF2 IS A DIFFERENT GAME. THIS IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE. Even the developers refer to it as a hat simulator. If you want to say it's an opinion, you're wrong and your opinion is wrong. And then you called him wrong, hahaha. That was great.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not on either side here, but this is just wrong and that's unacceptable.

You said that he left because he couldn't handle the fact that he shared a minority opinion. If I've learned anything here, it's that this place is super hipster. I'll go ahead and give an example: Battlefield 3. A LOT of people here think Battlefield is better than CoD. Here's the thing: That's a minority opinion. But you think it's a good opinion, right? Right. And you think the majority opinion is wrong, right? Right. You completely failed to accept his point of view and instead dismissed it as the minority opinion. Additionally, this is NOT a matter of opinion. TF2 IS A DIFFERENT GAME. THIS IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE. Even the developers refer to it as a hat simulator. If you want to say it's an opinion, you're wrong and your opinion is wrong. And then you called him wrong, hahaha. That was great.

I didn't say he left because people complained a lot, he said he left because people complained a lot. I don't understand what i've apparently done wrong here by you.

I don't play CoD or BF3 so i am impartial on that matter and as an example i can't relate to it as i've never seen it discussed in our community beyond a couple url's of funny youtube clips of glitches and bugs in both games or EA's Origin. Neither am i aware of any community animosity between the 2. But if i'm honest i never really understand anything you say anyway.

I'm not sure what else to add since your entire argument is simply you throwing a lot of words in my mouth and telling me what i think. Nobodies saying anything about the value of anyones opinion. But since you seem to be talking about the value of a minority opinion i will say this, you cannot deny the weight of a majority opinion, everybodies opinions are of equal worth, but/and that's exactly why a majority opinion is important to reflect on. But i'm not even sure why that's relavent here. Valve have admitted themselves of certain flaws in their game so you can defend it out of principled bravado all you want. Half the reason people are so pissed off about this is because even though Valve admit to certain flaws and mistakes they take forever to actually get around to addressing them, if at all.

Sure, by now they probably wont forget about the idea of creating promo items in TF2 for other games, but that doesn't mean we have to forget about TF2's integrity. Design is problem solving and as i said already earlier in the thread, they could at least make an effort not to destroy TF2's personality with third party content; and much of the reason people are upset is at exactly this lack of thought on Valve's part.

Last edited:

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
popcorn_yes.gif

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
ITT: Oh no, hats!!!!

Just play the game, or don't play the game, simple as that.
We got all this about 20 "updates with hats" ago.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Can we stop getting news feeds on the forum? About 1 in 4 disintegrates into an argument.

I'll see if there is a way to filter them out. I doubt there is, but a solution can be found if we can't filter these. These posts are pretty useful and informative half the time if you miss the main update.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
ITT: Oh no, hats!!!!

Just play the game, or don't play the game, simple as that.
We got all this about 20 "updates with hats" ago.

I'm not entirely sure you understand why I (and I assume grazr too) are so passionately displeased with this shit. Let me explain this to you so we can be crystal clear on the issue. I straight up loved it way back when I played it on a free weekend in 07, and bought it in 08, and I understood what made the game an example of nearly pure excellence.

The class updates were, for the most part alright, aside from a few completely awful ones (scout scout scout) and a few offensive weapons (natasha, wrangler). Now let's keep in mind that these weapons took months of thought and development to reach an acceptable level of quality, and then suddenly in September of 2010 Valve arbitrarily decides to double the arsenal, and then do it again in the christmas update of that year.

Now I'm not even going to get into hats much here, because as I said before, whether you like them or not, they are factually bad for the game. Here's why.

The art style for the game was inspired by J. C. Leyendecker, as well as Dean Cornwell and Norman Rockwell.[8] Their distinctive styles of strong silhouettes and shading to draw attention to specific details were adapted in order to make the models distinct, with a focus on making the characters' team, class and current weapon easily identifiable. Silhouettes and animation are used to make the class of a character apparent even at range, and a color scheme that draws attention to the chest area brings focus to the selected weapon.[55] The voices selected for each of the classes were based on imagining what people from the 1960s would expect the classes to have sounded like, according to writer Chet Faliszek.
Now all you have to do is ask, "Do hats and other cosmetics detract from silhouettes and identifying players", and there is no way you can factually say that they don't. Now since we've solved that let's move on to weapons.

Tf2 initially received widespread acclaim for it's balancing, which was achieved from having a restricted weapons set that could be easily balanced since they only had a small handful of weapons to worry about. Then suddenly they decided to add more, and some of them were alright, and actually added quality to the game (ubersaw, kritz), but some of them really had no reason to be there, such as the scout weapons, natasha, huntsman, demoknight trash, and distorted the distinct class roles that had been so well designed on release.

Fast forward 4 years, and we have a game that for all intents and purposes does not even resemble the game they released, which is factually worse than the game they released, and which has no reasonable recourse for players seeking the game they bought, and you want to tell the people who are displeased with this that they should just suck it up and find another game? Well guess what, there are no other games that rival classic tf2.

The reason I, and everyone else whose angry about this are so vocal about it is because we LOVED the game, and got it forcibly taken away from us, and saw it replaced with a game that is impossible to ever balance, and that has destroyed the art style that we loved so much. We have every reason to be angry.

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Yes, but i am sick of this same shit going on every update thread and people constantly arguing about it, we got it already, you don't like tf2 in the current state,, some people do.
We don't need the exact same tiresome discussion every time update comes out, there now also a thread for it, take it there.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Im just waiting for something good to happen then i'll play tf2 again, but recently it's just been a tad boring.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I'll see if there is a way to filter them out. I doubt there is, but a solution can be found if we can't filter these. These posts are pretty useful and informative half the time if you miss the main update.

Don't filter them, please. It's very convenient to check TF2M and get the TF2 news as well.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Don't filter them, please. It's very convenient to check TF2M and get the TF2 news as well.

I keep open the big open update ones (like this one) open, and close the smaller ones that we now get (the 3 bullet ones) ...

I'll chat about it with others and see what they are thinking.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, i'd rather keep them going, this doesn't happen all the time and it's almost a garaunteed fresh discussion of TF2 around here. Nobody has to read these "arguements", they are easily ignored by people who don't want to be involved in such discussions, but some people just can't seem to help themselves and (ironicly) only antagonise things even more.

As far as i'm concerned even if these kinds of things have been said before they are still relavent to the OP and have every right to be discussed on these forums.

Last edited: