The First-Ever Three-Way Pack Update!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yes demomen players can ignore the current new weapons and just not get mad at all the melee stuff, but that doesn't stop them hurting about the potential a weapon update could have for a class that hasn't technically had a real weapon update ever.

Melee weapons are fun and all but i sympathise with demomen players when their only options are vanilla spamtasticman or useless dark knight.

To be fair, the Demoman is pretty bloody effective with his base weapons. He basically has two primary weapons that he can use at the same time. And by that token, he has four primary weapons to the Soldier's three (five:four if you count the useless jump weapons). There are only so many variations on the theme of "blow stuff up" you can do, and he had quite a bit of variation from day one. Any primary or secondary weapon that doesn't blow shit up is going to be perceived as another deviation from the class or a nerf.

That being said, he does seem to have been singled out to get new weapons every time we turn around. He's tied with the Soldier and Scout for most unlockables, with five more than the Engie, four more than the Spy and Medic, and three more than everyone else. If there really is so little Valve can do with him, he should be on the lower end of things.

I blame the Contribute site. As soon as they put that up, they were pretty much committed to adding every new weapon someone with access to their school's copy of 3DSMAX whipped up, forever, no matter how much certain classes were favored over others.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
why is tf2beta getting all the good updates? :(

Hah, I was thinking the same thing. None of these weapons seem to exciting to me. I kinda like the soldier's new flag. Could be useful, maybe. Buff Banner is still the best, though.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
To be fair, the Demoman is pretty bloody effective with his base weapons. He basically has two primary weapons that he can use at the same time.

The same could have been said about the Soldier and he still got buffed with the DH and equaliser. It would also be true if not but for the fact that the sticky bombs also got nerfed when used in burst fire so that it wasn't such a powerful secondary; and that the SR is a piece of trash that i've only ever seen used 3 times since the event's post release achievement farming; and only ever effectively once. As for the double barrel grenade launcher, it's made redundant by the fact that the regular grenade launcher's damage spread is so rediculous that it 1 shots more frequently than that one does.

As for only having a few alternative dynmics i could probably think of a couple off the top of my head. extra bouncy grenades. grenades that detonate on impact. proximity mines. timed mines. rolling grenades. 6 launcher with reduced damage. How about away from the standard grenade launcher: explosive round shotgun that stumbles enemies like the shortstop. explosive arrows. That's 8 potential weapons that aren't melee and focus on explosive damage just off the top of my head.

But this is kinda getting OT.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I am okay with this, i am okay with a lot of things.... expect fact there is so MANY demoman meele weapons now!

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I don't mind the Demoman getting more weapons as long as they are not melee weapons.

He has:
Frying Pan
Pain Train
Eyelander
Unpronounceable claymore
Ullapool Caber (which is actually really damn fun when used properly)
Skullcutter
Haunted Axe
And now this. That adds up to 8 melee weapons (9 if you cound the stock bottle as well).

Please, Valve. Stop adding items so frequently. Instead, do more frequent bug fixes and other useful things for the game itself, rather than its function. It does get annoying to see at least eight people on your team spending the entirety of the Setup time sliding around and taunting, and the FaN bug is so small it's a wonder they haven't fixed it yet.

I not even going to ask Valve to "stop the crossovers".

Last edited:

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
As for only having a few alternative dynmics i could probably think of a couple off the top of my head. extra bouncy grenades. grenades that detonate on impact. proximity mines. timed mines. rolling grenades. 6 launcher with reduced damage..

I stand corrected.

Oh, and I forgot about my own idea: an alternate sticky launcher that removes the ability to explode in mid-air but makes them all blow if the Demoman dies before setting them off. I had that idea before his update.

Again, I assert that this comes down to Contribute and crossovers dominating the weapon selection. If nobody sends in an alternate grenade launcher model, and no games they plan to cross-promote with have any, he's not getting any new grenade launchers.

That's a hint, guys.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
Again, I assert that this comes down to Contribute and crossovers dominating the weapon selection. If nobody sends in an alternate grenade launcher model, and no games they plan to cross-promote with have any, he's not getting any new grenade launchers.

That's a hint, guys.

HWI VALVE!1!!!!!1

MAI COMPNIE HAZ GAME. KAN WE HAZ CWOS PWOMOTE?!

Honestly though. I could care less about all the extra items TF2 gets. The way I see it, TF2 is 4 years old (3? Didn't check) and the fact that companies keep coming to Valve and ask to be featured in TF2 astounds me.

Let's face it. Most companies would have stopped updating their games after a year or so, but Valve continues to deliver fresh, new, game changing content to their products.

I find it to be a good model for success.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Valve aren't doing it because of the hell of it. TF2 is an experiment platform for them as much as it is a game for the rest of us. It's not like they're not getting anything out of it. The amount of marketing information they get from these experiments... let alone gaming information.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
As a demoman main I have to say I'm starting to get sick of the melee weapons. You don't see 20 different versions of the Huntsman for the sniper, so why should our subclass be constantly updated? The melee weapons are mainly useless without the Targe, with the Claidomhor being dependant on it completely. It sure does suck when we have 1 sticky launcher alternative which is situational and a pretty useless grenade launcher.

Though I like the sound of this Katana. Also, all the moaning about demo melees, but the Scout also has tons!
Sandman
Holy Mackerel
Sun On A Stick
Candy Cane
Boston Basher
Fan 'O War

Mar 23, 2010
Keep the promos to hats please. And if you must make a weapon make it have the same stats. If you must make it have different stats, make it have the same availability I.e. droppable, crafting recipe. >_>

Any demoman that uses stickies can just ignore all the new melee weapons. Apparently the new katana works well with sickies actually. You can set a sticky trap, pull out katana as someone walks by, detonate, and get 100% health.....

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Another thing about melee weapons is that with the exception of the Demoman (and even then only because they made melee a major play style for him), they're not really used much. As much as the new items break the game's style, adding new primary weapons would do so even more because they're the weapons that are being used most of the time. *shrug* Just a thought.