TF2Maps.net 72hr Summer Mapping Contest, June 27th, 2014

flamez

L1: Registered
Mar 18, 2014
Good luck everyone! Map hard!

You can sleep when you're deeeaaad!

I remember messing it up the first time and having to restart it, probably took me 45 minutes to an hour total to get it out the door when I was done mapping. So probably 15 minutes compiles or so with all the bells and whistles in VBCT.

I had to work Monday this past contest too, Friday when it started, as well. It was fun.

Yeah I'm in the office now, thankfully I have my laptop so I can work on the map here then get home in an hour or so and start my real mapping. I scanned my layout into my phone so I'm rushing through the groundwork and walls quickly.

Sep 19, 2010
Good luck to everyone participating! I'll be in the chat and watching streams in the evenings. Excited to see what everyone comes up with! :)

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
NOTE TO ANYONE STREAMING:

If you find that your stream is cutting off during compiles, set the processor priority of your streaming software (such as OBS) to above normal or high. This will prevent it from not being able to render the video for streaming. This will make your compiles slower, however.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
The style of TF2 meshes perfectly with bad 50's scifi movies; no idea what you are talking about.

The style matches perfectly, yes. I also happen to love old scifi movies. However it does not fit the TF2 narrative and the theme itself is quite restrictive. There are not many ways one can interpret an "alien attack". A lot of these maps are going to be copy+paste.

I also feel that aliens are just another dumb gimmicky idea. An attempt to be "original". I hate that instead of exploring all the possibilities that the original style of TF2 can provide, we just add more stupid shit to the game. I never really liked mvm for this reason, and I do not care at all about the bread items. I would feel guilty about adding something into the game that I completely disagree with.

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Anyway, here's a in progress screen that asks the age old question, who parked that there?
2014-06-28_00002.jpg

Also I've been livestreaming my work on the map so far
http://www.twitch.tv/megapiemanphd

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Reminder: Tweeting pictures with the hashtag #72hr gets you retweets from me. I can't spam up my feed with my own pictures, so the least I can do is retweet all yours. Tweeting is way cooler than twtiching. (If that wasn't a verb for twitch streaming, it is now)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Reminder: Tweeting pictures with the hashtag #72hr gets you retweets from me. I can't spam up my feed with my own pictures, so the least I can do is retweet all yours. Tweeting is way cooler than twtiching. (If that wasn't a verb for twitch streaming, it is now)

Same goes from me. If you tweet @TF2Maps also, we can retweet those.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Can we use this models? This will not brake this rule?

Read the very next rule:

Custom content is allowed, but only if it's made entirely by yourself using your own resources OR it's made by someone else who has already made it available to the public. However, please remember that very large file sizes are very annoying to download, so keep your map small by avoiding too much custom content.

xomp

L1: Registered
Jun 28, 2008
Can't wait to see what you guys crank out from this. I plan on hosting all of them on my server once the contest is over.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
It's awesome that you guys are still hosting these competitions. :D