TF2 Update and "contribute"

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
I'm already in Maya making my new Pyro weapon. :D

They really could have gave a more technical guide to making models, etc...

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
This community-contributions thing fills me with dread. I've already seen people in the Steam forums go: "And that's my idea for a Spy watch that a thousand people have suggested before. Can someone model it up and submit it and give me credit for thinking of it?"

Good-quality props and items, perhaps, but comparatively simple small avatar pictures? Really?

Maybe I'm just bitter since it doesn't intersect with any of the types of contributions I've been working on. I'll get really buzzed if they have a change to submit SDK tool code, but until then...

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
...I am so disappointed. The kill taunt sucks beyond belief. I was hoping they would bring back the giant syringe :(

Kill taunts in general are becoming moronic. It started out being taunts that just happen, by their nature, to be deadly (Heavy, Pyro, Spy). Then they went to just having you take the weapon you're holding and kill with it (Scout, Sniper, Demoman, and now Medic). So it looks stupid when you're just standing there.

Somewhere along the line, Valve got it into their heads that every class MUST have a kill taunt. Problem was, they didn't have any more good ideas for them. So they did stuff like this instead.

Honestly I'd be fine with the Medic being the only one without a kill taunt, because he has the self-healing taunt, which goes well with his function in the game.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Also, i'm certain the weapon customisation is in weapon effect only, not appearence. I.E. Gloves of running urgency. They are still the same weeapon but with custom affects.

I SINCERELY hope this is not the case.

I'm assuming it's appearance-changing stuff only, but it sounds like some clarifications should be made.

Aug 10, 2009
fixed the scout's legs twisting out of shape during a double jump

fixed player models popping up and then down when they duck during a jump

fixed sniper rifle not penetrating friendlies

fixed bonk! Atomic punch phase effect

fixed rockets not being removed if they explode in func_nogrenades zones

fixed the sandman being able to bat balls through doors

fixed the gunboats absorbing damage from the soldier's grenade kill taunt

fixed the naming of non-unique quality unique items (community kritzkriegs, etc)

minor fixes to the crafting ui

changed the item layout in the crafting panel to better fit the backpack panel

each 1 of the 4 crafting pages now shows half of 1 of the 2 backpack pages

fixed the crafting panel next/prev page buttons being hard to use while dragging

fixed the "equipped" label in the item panels stealing the mouse focus from the item panel itself

yes! Long time coming dammit!

And WHERE are you guys reading about weapon customization? :O

Last edited:

Dr. KillPatient

L3: Member
May 10, 2009
Can weapon effects be stored in txt files? That's the only file they accept that's not a material or model, so if not, there won't be any custom weapons. I think it's just misc, hats, and cosmetic items. I doubt they'll allow the different weapon, same model concept as well.

Hopefully this doesn't eternally ruin TF2, but at least it's Valve. They'll get rid of it, patch it, or tweak it if it gets out of hand, plus they have quite a discerning eye for quality.

Edit: FFFFUUUU---
Keep the polycount similar to what's already in the game. Keeping hats under 800 polygons, and weapons under 8,000.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
wonder why don't just take the 100 heads that were made in the facepunch forums or wherever all over the world.
i don't know - seems a bit late, imo. they should've done this earlier, when the making custom hats phase was at its peak :)

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
they added something to the page recently:
"Wait," you might be thinking, "won't this ruin the balance of the game with tons of overpowered weapon designs?" Nope. The contribute feature is exclusively for model design. The TF2 team will take your submitted content and incorporate it into the gameplay in a way that makes the most sense for TF2. (You can submit gameplay ideas for new items, just like you've always been able to, by emailing us or posting them on the TF2 forums.) Whatever the end use turns out to be, rest assured we'll give credit where it's due to the item's creators, and give you a unique version to show off in-game.

so...yeah

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Now, my only remaining question is how formatted these hats/weapons need to be. I sort of assumed I would have to make a hat in the correct scale and rig it up so that it would actually work if put into the game, but do you they'd just as easily accept a simple textured model? And then rig it up themselves?

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
If I understand this correctly, valve will be sitting around with a metric ton of models that don't fit into the game as it is, and will start designing unlocks on what the community has submitted more than what's needed? I know they can still do it the way they do, but if someone makes a really high quality railgun for the engy, valve can't help but feel slightly compelled to use it. I really wish they could get onto the custom maps thing though, I could name a fare decent number of community maps that could pass of as a valve map, even if it takes a bit of tweaking by the team.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Valve already does weekly playtests of dozens of custom maps (have been for a long time).