TF2 moving to the L4D engine?!

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
That's strange. My friend has an X1300 and the game runs fine for him on DX9 and with most things set to high.

The Drizzle

L1: Registered
Dec 19, 2007
Has anyone noticed that tf2 takes 5 times as long to load as L4D? I would welcome a new engine if it decreases TF2s extremely long load time.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
please do, i personally find it difficult to believe they would even bother to release a new DX version without there being some kind of significant change...and even more so...i find it difficult to believe that phong shading alone is causing you to drop 40fps, there is something else you are missing out on

EDIT:
this is what ive came across:
DX9
dx9_water.jpg

DX8
dx8_water.jpg

you seem to lose water quality in DX8, and that does explain the frame loss when you switch to DX9, as water is a pain

Seemed to remove the reflections altogether. I wonder if that's the same for other reflective materials.. and not just water. Because if that is the case then DX8 runners are seriously missing out on half the visuals the whole Source experience offers.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
For one thing, L4D doesn't use .gcf files because they found a faster way to load resources

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
If you have PCI-Express, which I kinda doubt if you are still using a Dx 8 card, but if you do then you can find a DX 9 card for between $20-50 easily that will play TF2

The 8600 is also a pretty good deal for around $60 and that will let you play TF2 on high settings.
Here is an 8600 for $60 after a $10 MIR

If you have AGP, then you are a little less fortunate, since its an obsolete interface, the prices have gone back up and the cards are not as good, but this card should be able to play TF2:
7200 for $75

And if you want to come into the modern ages with Dx 10 support:
9800 GT for $84

Personally, I hope the email is true, Multi-threaded TF2 will help everyone, I think that you are going to be in the minority opposing it.

As for if people asked for it, someone clearly did because they sent Gabe an email...

Blindfate

L1: Registered
Nov 2, 2008
My 8600M (mobile version) runs TF2 perfectly, as well as Left4Dead demo with no settings modified.

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Just an update:

http://www.teamfortress.com/

"We're also working on bringing over a variety of engine improvements from Left 4 Dead into the TF2 engine, but it won't be a wholesale replacement of the engine. This means we'll get some of L4D's performance improvements, like the better multicore support, but not all of them. For example, we can't bring over some improvements without dropping support for DX8, which we're not prepared to do."

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
The next class pack will be the Scout. One of the main goals we're focusing on for him has been to provide tools that make him useful in maps like Dustbowl & Goldrush. If you have any ideas for what you think would work well, post them over on the Team Fortress 2 Forum and we'll take a look.

I hope Valve don't pay attention to steam forum posts...