TF2 Halloween Special

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
-_-

MMORPGs are not about collecting hats and participating in seasonal events, moreso than any other genre at least.

I've had my fill of this fad...meme...thing already.
I think it's fine, I like it when video games get a little festive. TF2 feeds upon its community to stay alive, so doing little event things that are simple but fun is the next logical step for it now that the game's getting long in the tooth. The game really needed this right now, too, even just one new map is enough to breathe some variety back into the game.

yea lets not try stuff with the game and let it go stale.

<_<

you know...im pretty sure hes getting sick of the "tf2 is mmo" thing, not the random event thing

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well, i thought the whole idea of allowing random drops was to discourage achievement grinding on achievement maps. But now they're releasing more items that are achievable through grind only, and within a limited period of time.

Ok ok, so it's seasonal... But being denied content (that is otherwise available to a couple people who don't work/sleep) is a cockslap, what ever way you chose to look at it.

The medal thing was a stupid idea, this was not much better, and in the grander scheme of things public opinion seems to suggest the entire hat feasco was a bad idea.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
If you really, REALLY want the items, load up TF2 and play harvest.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Me and Ankh did a quick test today on Harvest_event and the final version to see what was wrong with the event version of the map and why people are getting low fps on it.

harvest_event pics
2dwby9w.jpg

21ocu9d.jpg

oayxe9.jpg

oz3mg.jpg

Final version
2zs8tux.jpg

2ps5apl.jpg

3503yag.jpg

As you can see in the pics, the final version has a lot less stuff being rendered while in the event one the WHOLE map is being rendered at the same time. There are some parts in the event version (like if you get on the roof) where everything is being rendered from the trees behind the houses far back to the details inside the buildings.

Ankh

L3: Member
Sep 18, 2008
we figure somebody compiled on fast or forgot to enable the hint visgroup when doing this
At the same time there are a bunch of props that should have faded out that don't on the event map.

Finally the ghost has no LOD and about double the polygons of any given character mesh, something that amazes me since it's essentially a sheet

Bottom line is somebody screwed up during the modification process. badly.

Feb 17, 2009
Has anyone seen this room?
koth_harvest_event0000.jpg

koth_harvest_event0001.jpg

koth_harvest_event0002.jpg

koth_harvest_event0003.jpg

Its a place for the ghost to rest while he isn't scaring people :D

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
If you really, REALLY want the items, load up TF2 and play harvest.

I have them already, i had them before that post, just as i had 3 hats (2 of which i wanted) before i made that post.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
A massively multiplayer online game. A game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.

32 max is considered massive now?

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
Well, i thought the whole idea of allowing random drops was to discourage achievement grinding on achievement maps. But now they're releasing more items that are achievable through grind only, and within a limited period of time.

Ok ok, so it's seasonal... But being denied content (that is otherwise available to a couple people who don't work/sleep) is a cockslap, what ever way you chose to look at it.

The medal thing was a stupid idea, this was not much better, and in the grander scheme of things public opinion seems to suggest the entire hat feasco was a bad idea.

Come on now. This goes on until AFTER Halloween, so you don't even have the holiday as an excuse. If you REALLY want the items THAT badly you can find time, it's not like it's hard to get any of the item. The "work/sleep" excuse doesn't work for a five day event, really...I've had work, school, and tons of essays to do and I've gotten all of that done AND gotten the two items. And plenty of sleep, mind you. I know I can't speak for EVERYONE, but...I just don't feel like there's any excuses to complain.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
More like 64,000.

exactly, thats more like the number you require for an mmo

which tf2 is not, servers cap at 32 from what ive seen, and a single server is all that can be effectively defined as a "persistent world".
Honestly, I really don't care what people call a game but when someone says something is "by definition" its very difficult to not go grab the definition and show why its not <_<

bittman

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2008
So Team Fortress 2 is an MOFPS

Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter

I'm with MrAlBobo: "Massive" does not denote the total players, but rather the amount of players that can interact with one another at a given time. And this number would need to be much more than a LAN setup between some friends can manage. (yes some people can do a 32 person LAN).

I would rate anything that can handle (at maximum) less than 100 players at a time as not "Massive".

Also from the definition you quoted, there is no such thing here as a "persistent world". Unless a server that rotates maps is a "world"?

Amazing how people associate items and levels to MMO's.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
Also from the definition you quoted, there is no such thing here as a "persistent world". Unless a server that rotates maps is a "world"?

Yeah, basically that was what I was trying to say, the closest thing to a persistent world be the single server on the currently running map
Also I think people associate mmorpg with mmo to too much of a degree and assume mmo automatically includes the rpg elements

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Come on now. This goes on until AFTER Halloween, so you don't even have the holiday as an excuse. If you REALLY want the items THAT badly you can find time, it's not like it's hard to get any of the item. The "work/sleep" excuse doesn't work for a five day event, really...I've had work, school, and tons of essays to do and I've gotten all of that done AND gotten the two items. And plenty of sleep, mind you. I know I can't speak for EVERYONE, but...I just don't feel like there's any excuses to complain.

These achievements are only obtainable on this weekend. the very definition of a holiday assumes i am with family and friends, provided i'm not a lonely misanthrope or angsty 15 year old. I may not want to play a computer game on that weekend. Oh dear, i have just been denied content because i happened to be unavailable for a specific 100 odd hours out of 8760+ of the year. I have nothing that says "I'm a proud TF2 player" while joe here baught the game yesterday and has 5 customisable items. Yes that annoys me. I don't see what you fail to understand about this concept.

P.S. I do have these items. I still feel the need to point out how frustrating this is for the loyal player base. Particularly for those who play this game regularly but have more important priorities in life than to attend TF2 on X date and are denied content as a result. I easily play TF2 15 hours a week (25~50 on the larger holidays). But because i can't make myself available for one weekend, i am denied the full content of a game. What rewards the dedicated player? Certainly not the random drop system. this is the kick in the teeth because you could easily just say "why do you care so much? It's a bloody game". But when you play a game so much, and are continually neglected in comparison to others of equal or lesser gaming status, who can blame an individual for feeling sour? It's like having an RPG levelling system where you can only level by attending the game on your birthday, marraige, christmas, mothersday, your dads funeral and anytime you should otherwise be out of town etc. with additional arbitrary "reward days" decided by whether a monkey picks his arse with his left hand rather than his right. The only way to garauntee the fullest experience of the game you purchased is to play the game all the fucking time and hope you don't miss something.

Fair enough if i miss a festive celebration, i have that much reasoning to let that go, but it's not just festive occasions. Take the medal for example. I didn't check the TF2 website one night because i was eating a roast and i missed out on an unannounced item for my favourite TF2 class. Oh dear, i guess that's shame on me for not living in the GMT-6 timezone and having half a life.

Summary: I love this game, i play it more than most, i have little to show for it compared to jack 15 yr old with no life who's on half term and baught the game this weekend and managed to double my customizable content. My point is one would like to be rewarded atleast equally, if not more, as a frequent user. But is not. The only way for me to defeat this predicament is not play the game.

I'm going to leave it at that before i start to sound even more of a bitter child than what i usually come across as.

Last edited: