A unique competitive 5cp map.

1. HQDefault

HQDefault L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was saying she had a good eye. Way to bat off a compliment >:|

2. Zed

aa Zed Not the one from League.

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sorry, but "Way to be thorough :|" in no way sounds like a compliment. It comes across as sarcastic.

3. HQDefault

HQDefault L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sorry. That was very poorly worded :O

4. phi

aa phi Dreaming Is Sinking /// Waking Is Rising

Positive Ratings:
    RC3 IS HERE

DOWNLOAD

This version was months in development. I'm proud to present what shall be the final version of the map for quite some time, barring exploits or a RC3A.

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I'd like to request this map to be moved to the Map Showcase section of the forums.
    I think it fits all the requirements. Don't you? :3

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Zed

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you to Phi for finally allowing to live out my fantasies of killing mercenaries in a Canadian whaling village.
    **this is a joke. don't arrest me.

Now here are some issues I found!

[​IMG]
    This hologram doesn't actually hover over the point.

[​IMG]
    Why is this overlay red when this is BLU's side?
    Also, why are these overlays backwards?

[​IMG]
    The fade distance on this side of the windows is atrocious.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

All of these small sheds have roofs that are flush with their walls. Makes them look unfinished, like something out of an alpha.

[​IMG]

It's fainter now, but this curve still doesn't have smooth lighting. Also, I'm sorry I only just now noticed this, but... the way down on the left doubles back into the base despite being right in front of you after you emerge from said base. It never confused me before, but it did today for some reason. I just want you to know that because back when I had a map with a doubleback like that, people complained about getting lost and I had to get rid of it.

[​IMG]

Speaking of smooth lighting, though, this and other 45 degree angles in the map look like they have smooth corners when obviously they shouldn't. It's a problem I see come up all the time, but it's never too late to start a trend of correcting it with smoothing groups.

7. Grizzly Berry

aa Grizzly Berry

Positive Ratings:
    This is something that has bugged me for awhile now too. I'm assuming you don't want players to get caught on the edges, but couldn't you clip it or something? I think it would really help. :)

8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention:

[​IMG]

The lightmap around that light is bothersomely low-res. I realize you're already pushing it with file size what with all the custom stuff, but...

9. phi

Positive Ratings:
    I mean I could, but the whole reason those rooves are set up like that is to make sure explosive collision isn't buggy and will affect players on the edge of the structure when a rocket collides with the side. If I extend the roof out and clip the underside with blockbullets, it effectively makes setting up stickies on the sides of that building a lot trickier and would most likely nerf the effectiveness of demo on the mid, because his positioning relies on that building and being able to deny scouts that jump on top/around it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  10. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Ran around this a little bit, intended on giving you clipping feedback, but it's all looking pretty solid! Didn't really see anything stand out at all! Good job on that!

Couple things I noticed, otherwise:

[​IMG]
    You have a ton of space under your displacements that are being rendered. Bring your maps floor much closer to the ground itself, and clip/ nodraw any large textured faces that aren't visible from above. The former will save you some headaches with VVIS, while the latter will save you filespace/ time spent processing lighting.

[​IMG]
    To get rid of these water seams, assign the same cubemap for both the water faces on the map itself and in the skybox.

[​IMG]
    I'm not a fan of the detailing on this structure. At the very least I'd give it some contrasting support beams on the inside to add a little more believability to a otherwise unrealistic structure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Your entire mid and both second areas are rendering when standing on either second. I know you're working on optimizing now, so this is something I'd focus on. A big occluder on the wall I'm pointing at in the first shot would help you out, but I'd try to get the leaves to not render first. Some angled hint brushes might help you out here.

[​IMG]
    These occluders are pretty good, but I'd get rid of that little gap in between. You'd get rid of that line in the middle that is still unnecessarily rendering.

[​IMG]
    (don't worry about the checkerboard, that's on my end) This occluder is useless. Your visleafs are good enough from this area looking outward that nothing is rendering anyway. I'd axe it.

[​IMG]
    Some nasty zfighting on this gutter.

[​IMG]
    Massive epic chrome pillar leading to tiny baby stock laser is super anticlimactic, imo. You should try to get something custom made up for the top of this to really make it a set piece for your final.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Also, remember when I mentioned I saw that stream earlier mention this map?

This is why:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
  12. phi

Positive Ratings:
    Ohmigod that is so cool!!!! I love the team and the guys on the team too, my gosh that made me super happy in the midst of all these framerate issues!!

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    You might also be able to put something together using giant area portal windows with long fade distances, like Kong King does.

There's a half-length pipe prop somewhere in the downloads section that should be able to deal with this handily.

14. phi

Positive Ratings:
    Unsure if I want to put any more custom models in. I might just remove that gutter altogether if the z-fighting really bothers people. There's already enough random custom props in as it is

15. phi

Positive Ratings:
    Actually I just came up with a solution for these:

[​IMG]

Pretty sure I can just make really subtle roof edges and trim them off and make them into a func_illusionary, that shouldn't fuck with stickies or collisions

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah that'd be a good way to handle them. They definitely look odd as-is, so a bit of overlapping roof will help them a ton.

17. RubbishyUser

RubbishyUser L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Some feedback coming atcha since Canada doesn't have the feedback plugin.

[​IMG]
    Area where the left sticky is has super weird clipping. It's really obvious you can't reach the corner, and you can still get stuck on it. Middle one is super dark and a reachable spot for people to hide and leave stickies around or something. Right one isn't clipped.
    [​IMG]
    Left sticky area counts as a step so you "bounce" up it and so needs to be clipped. The healthpack doesn't have a patch.
    [​IMG]
    Sticky on the far right marks another clipping spot. The window frames on the left are fading super quick, as I'm sure you know.
    [​IMG]
    You can hide up here in the darkness and scare medics pushing in or out. Space underneath the stairs, where I am firing my rocket, has similar problems. On this topic, it would probably be smart to clip the majority of crates and barrels around the last point and lobby where it's dark and in a corner, for 6s scenarios. Medics have enough trouble with bombers as it is.
    [​IMG]
    All of these sticky spots show props with weird lighting.
    [​IMG]
    These two lights give off light but aren't lit; the other sticks show another dark hiding spot. Maybe all of these are intentional, but I still don't like it.
    [​IMG]
    These trees pop in and out of existence.
    [​IMG]
    Left; another sneaky hiding spot. Right; another light.
    [​IMG]
    The clock, the lightswitch and the intercom need to be made non-solid, the computer bank you can get stuck on (but it isn't really noticable) and the pillar to the left out of shot needs to be clipped as you can walk into it while standing on the desk (say, when sniping).
    [​IMG]
    These lights. Note that all of the above occurs on both sides of the map except for this last one.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  18. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    More nitpicking inbound!

[​IMG]

This trim is clipped at parallel points, causing the diagonal bit to be skinnier than the rest.

[​IMG]

There are a couple rooms where light bleeds in through the door. I advise doing what I did on Turbine2: turn the lightmap scale on the bottom trim brush down to 4 or so, and place a super-thin blocklight right about where the door is. If the room is bright enough inside already, people won't even notice that there's no light coming in when the door is open.

[​IMG]

This staircase has un-randomized texture alignments. I don't think it's the only one, either.

[​IMG]

There are a couple I spotted outside, too, including this one.

19. phi

Positive Ratings:
  20. Zed

Positive Ratings:
    Within a few seconds of loading up the map:

[​IMG]

Fully visible areaportal.