Sunshine

CP Sunshine rc9

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.
Sep 7, 2012
i'm thinking of changing the name of the map

what name do you guys like better: cp_sunshine or cp_brunswick
i think the first one might have a little more ring to it but the second one best describes the theme/location i'm gunna go for

Im not sure where you're going to put all the potatoes but good luck

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
cp_sunshine_b1 released!

DOWNLOAD (DROPBOX) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84556731/sunshine/cp_sunshine_b1.bsp.bz2

MEDIAFIRE DOWNLOAD http://www.mediafire.com/download/g955q660allnpnk/cp_sunshine_b1.bsp.bz2

If there are any problems at all that impact the play of the map, such as exploits, clipping errors or missing textures, please report them! Otherwise, have fun!

Yeah, there are probably a ton of little things that are a tad bit screwy - I just wanted this out the door tonight, though, and with all the problems packing I just decided to release what I got. Hopefully this'll be enough to satisfy, for now.

CHANGELOG:
- Detailed the entire map
- Rearranged various health pickups
- Added gully-like 'secret' area to last
- Expanded platform on side of last
- Changed geometry of lots of areas in general
- Tons of custom content (and deer)!

Screenshots:

2013-11-11_00004.jpg

2013-11-11_00005.jpg

2013-11-11_00006.jpg

2013-11-11_00007.jpg
2013-11-11_00009.jpg
2013-11-11_00010.jpg

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
cp_sunshine_b2 released

download (dropbox): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84556731/sunshine/cp_sunshine_b2.bsp.bz2

surprise!

not too many major changes, but I wanted to fool around and try a few completely different things as soon as possible
not all of the issues brought up have been fixed, but lots of clipping ones have and there is a lot of major streamlining changes! hopefully it'll play a lot smoother now, and less cluttered too.

screenshots:
2013-11-25_00004.jpg

2013-11-25_00003.jpg

2013-11-25_00002.jpg

2013-11-25_00005.jpg
2013-11-25_00001.jpg

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
so I haven't been around here (or anywhere tf2 related honestly) lately. some cool european guys from etf2l decided that making a one-night cp_sunshine cup would be a neat idea, and i think so too. just found out about this today, gunna be going on wednesday the 29th.

here is the official announcement on etf2l: http://etf2l.org/2014/01/24/one-night-cup-sunshine/

i won't be updating the map again for it as i have literally no time or drive for it (life is really complicated right now) but i'll hopefully get some feedback and be able to document it for the time and place that i might end up working on this again, or passing it along to someone else.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
This map's gunna be played in ESEA S16!!! http://play.esea.net/index.php?s=poll&d=comments&id=969
yaaaaay <3 thank you all for all the help with it. it's gone a long way.

---

RC1A OUT. HAVE FUN!

Report back any glitches/issues so I can fix them quick if need be!

DROPBOX DOWNLOAD : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84556731/sunshine/cp_sunshine_rc1a.bsp.bz2

Changelog:
- Added new route to last, removed a route
- Hopefully made the announcer work
- Slight HDR
- 3d skybox
- Made valley less complex
- No more rocks
- Simplified bloating custom textures a little
- Optimization
- General fixes here and there and here and there
- More secret deer

Screenshots:

2014-02-10_00002.jpg

2014-02-11_00003.jpg

2014-02-11_00004.jpg

2014-02-11_00005.jpg
2014-02-11_00006.jpg
2014-02-11_00001.jpg
2014-02-11_00002.jpg

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Those stone window frames... did you remember to compile with -staticproplighting on? They seem to be glowing...

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I really love this map.

I won't pretend to know more about how it plays than you and your extensive testing, so I won't give feedback on that.

Instead, I'll give feedback in an area I think I'm pretty good at, detailing. I went through your map, here's a bunch of thoughts. Most of this shouldn't make optimisation any worse.

2014-02-13_00018.jpg

Lighting is really important, especially for important entrances like this. Unless you want it to be a sneaky entrance, in which case leave it.

2014-02-13_00017.jpg

2014-02-13_00016.jpg

The facade of your base in general is really stark and boring. Add some more crap too it to make it look more than a clean building. Pipes, vents, cables, etc. Take a look at the top and outside of gorge's red base and you'll see how it's done.

2014-02-13_00015.jpg

This area felt pretty empty in general, it looks like the area people would store random crap, but it's just empty. No one ever notices the little mining boxes in official maps unless they're part of gameplay, because they're used everywhere to clutter up areas without distracting the viewer too much.

2014-02-13_00014.jpg

Use smoothing groups on this surface to get nice lighting. At the moment it's faceted and ugly. Read more about how to use them here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Smoothing_groups and https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hammer_Smoothing_Groups_Dialog

2014-02-13_00013.jpg

This whole area isn't very nice at all. The water seam with the skybox is huge, it looks like you've used two different water textures completely. The trees at the back make it look like a lake, which completely devalues the lighthouse even more than it already is (turned on during the day?).

2014-02-13_00012.jpg

It doesn't look like you've compiled with proper shadow settings at all. use -staticproppolys and -staticproplighting in the vrad command dialog to make nicer shadows. It will increase compile time and filesize a bit, but will look a thousand times better. Also a good area for clutter like I said earlier.

2014-02-13_00011.jpg

More of the lack of good shadows again. It looks the worst on the pine trees, these trees look basically fullbright, very tacky in my eyes. Additionally, the mineshaft lift tower looks a bit out of place.

This is what they'll look like with the proper compile options, I think you'll agree, much better.

2014-02-13_00010.jpg

2014-02-13_00009.jpg

Your map has quite a few of these little nooks that look like routes because they are lit. Remember before how I was talking about how powerful lighting was? I kept trying to go into these because lighting led me to believe they were important.

2014-02-13_00008.jpg

I really dislike the texturing on this building. The second texture has a normal map and the first doesn't, they look completely wrong together. I didn't even notice the wood border at first either. Use the top brick texture for the entire thing, well prooves how amazing that texture is on large faces anyway.

2014-02-13_00007.jpg

Do what you did on second, strew rocks and that around on the ground to help break it up. a rock or two on the wall might help too.

2014-02-13_00006.jpg

Utilising this lantern and actually putting a light there would improve this area a lot - the health is important, it should be lit well. It would also give an excuse for those boxes to be lit.

2014-02-13_00005.jpg

I do not like this wood texture. It's far too noisy for a big surface. Try using one of the barnblitz or goldrush wood walls instead. I do like the beam and tirmmings of this area though.

2014-02-13_00004.jpg

The final room in general feels really empty visually. You should be able to spend a lot of detail here because areaportals should seal it really well from the outside, so you may as well go all out.

I don't really like process visually for the most part, but it is a good example for my point with it's final.

2014-02-13_00020.jpg

It employs so many pipes and ibeams (as well as bight lighting) that final looks really interesting. Yours at the moment looks really empty in comparison.

2014-02-13_00003.jpg

This is another example, you could easy place some more windows up there to let more lighting in which would serve the double purpose of breaking up the tall, blank walls. Pipes are great to use too. And you could easily stand to place more overlays around, they're super cheap (and can be turned off in the configs anwyay) so use them! A giant team logo would be good (maybe with a backing of some other material though), and some propaganda posters. Look at process again for examples.

2014-02-13_00002.jpg

You could easily afford to increase the lightmap scale on this one wall too, it would make those shadows a lot nicer.

I also suggested adding a spotlight to fake more env lighting, it would brighten up the upper areas of the room in general and make it live up more to the maps name!!

Bonus:

2014-02-13_00001.jpg

You might not like this, you might. Just letting you know.

Apologies for my terrible handwriting, Haven't really done much recently, let alone on a tablet :p

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
i think a problem with brightening those nooks at process-choke is that it might make it possible for classes to hide in them more easily?

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
I really love this map.

I won't pretend to know more about how it plays than you and your extensive testing, so I won't give feedback on that.

Instead, I'll give feedback in an area I think I'm pretty good at, detailing. I went through your map, here's a bunch of thoughts. Most of this shouldn't make optimisation any worse.

(img)

Lighting is really important, especially for important entrances like this. Unless you want it to be a sneaky entrance, in which case leave it.

(img)

(img)

The facade of your base in general is really stark and boring. Add some more crap too it to make it look more than a clean building. Pipes, vents, cables, etc. Take a look at the top and outside of gorge's red base and you'll see how it's done.

(img)

This area felt pretty empty in general, it looks like the area people would store random crap, but it's just empty. No one ever notices the little mining boxes in official maps unless they're part of gameplay, because they're used everywhere to clutter up areas without distracting the viewer too much.

(img)

Use smoothing groups on this surface to get nice lighting. At the moment it's faceted and ugly. Read more about how to use them here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Smoothing_groups and https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hammer_Smoothing_Groups_Dialog

(img)

This whole area isn't very nice at all. The water seam with the skybox is huge, it looks like you've used two different water textures completely. The trees at the back make it look like a lake, which completely devalues the lighthouse even more than it already is (turned on during the day?).

(img)

It doesn't look like you've compiled with proper shadow settings at all. use -staticproppolys and -staticproplighting in the vrad command dialog to make nicer shadows. It will increase compile time and filesize a bit, but will look a thousand times better. Also a good area for clutter like I said earlier.

(img)

More of the lack of good shadows again. It looks the worst on the pine trees, these trees look basically fullbright, very tacky in my eyes. Additionally, the mineshaft lift tower looks a bit out of place.

This is what they'll look like with the proper compile options, I think you'll agree, much better.

(img)

(img)

Your map has quite a few of these little nooks that look like routes because they are lit. Remember before how I was talking about how powerful lighting was? I kept trying to go into these because lighting led me to believe they were important.

(img)

I really dislike the texturing on this building. The second texture has a normal map and the first doesn't, they look completely wrong together. I didn't even notice the wood border at first either. Use the top brick texture for the entire thing, well prooves how amazing that texture is on large faces anyway.

(img)

Do what you did on second, strew rocks and that around on the ground to help break it up. a rock or two on the wall might help too.

(img)

Utilising this lantern and actually putting a light there would improve this area a lot - the health is important, it should be lit well. It would also give an excuse for those boxes to be lit.

(img)

I do not like this wood texture. It's far too noisy for a big surface. Try using one of the barnblitz or goldrush wood walls instead. I do like the beam and tirmmings of this area though.

(img)

The final room in general feels really empty visually. You should be able to spend a lot of detail here because areaportals should seal it really well from the outside, so you may as well go all out.

I don't really like process visually for the most part, but it is a good example for my point with it's final.

(img)

It employs so many pipes and ibeams (as well as bight lighting) that final looks really interesting. Yours at the moment looks really empty in comparison.

(img)

This is another example, you could easy place some more windows up there to let more lighting in which would serve the double purpose of breaking up the tall, blank walls. Pipes are great to use too. And you could easily stand to place more overlays around, they're super cheap (and can be turned off in the configs anwyay) so use them! A giant team logo would be good (maybe with a backing of some other material though), and some propaganda posters. Look at process again for examples.

(img)

You could easily afford to increase the lightmap scale on this one wall too, it would make those shadows a lot nicer.

I also suggested adding a spotlight to fake more env lighting, it would brighten up the upper areas of the room in general and make it live up more to the maps name!!

Bonus:

(img)

You might not like this, you might. Just letting you know.

Apologies for my terrible handwriting, Haven't really done much recently, let alone on a tablet :p

Well that was an exceptionally long list of complaints. A lot of which most people would not notice or care about. Way to be thorough :|

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Well that was an exceptionally long list of complaints. A lot of which most people would not notice or care about. Way to be thorough :|

Every single one of them was useful. Don't knock the criticism. People need it to improve. I need it to make the map better. If there weren't people like her, this map wouldn't have gotten to where it is.

Also: they're not "complaints". I wish people would stop thinking that ACTUAL criticism and comments are "complaints". no. It's good, real, raw feedback. It helps improve the map and make it more of a Valve-quality finished, polished map.

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
This post is pretty damn useless. The goal is to make a map that's as good as it could possibly be, and a big part of that is the detailing.

The only issue I can currently see with the map is that there's long grass clipping with the metal ramps leading up to second.

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
Every single one of them was useful. Don't knock the criticism. People need it to improve. I need it to make the map better. If there weren't people like her, this map wouldn't have gotten to where it is.

Also: they're not "complaints". I wish people would stop thinking that ACTUAL criticism and comments are "complaints". no. It's good, real, raw feedback. It helps improve the map and make it more of a Valve-quality finished, polished map.
I would also like to criticize the criticism, mainly by saying a freshwater lighthouse isn't all that unheard of.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
I would also like to criticize the criticism, mainly by saying a freshwater lighthouse isn't all that unheard of.

To be fair, I edited the skybox to the best of my extent and now it's just an ocean. Problem solved.

Looking back on the post I realized that there are a few minor issues I never fixed for rc2. Just more stuff to polish up for rc3 then!