(SOLVED) Unable to find and fix leak in my map

Sp00k

L1: Registered
Dec 26, 2016
When I compile my map, it says that the entity nearest to the leak (wherever that actually is) has leaked. It can be a trigger, a spawn point, or any other entity. However I am unable to actually find where the entity is. The pointfile shows the line going from the leaking entity to one of the walls of the room, then out to a point in the void, and then back at a fixed point which is where the leak presumably is, however this point is in the middle of the void so I'm not sure what I can do about this.

map leak error.png

I've tried replacing the walls and ceiling, deleting the entities, and even redoing the skybox as some of it was overlapping, but it hasn't worked. If someone can take a look at the .vsf and then fix the problem for me it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is willing to do this I'll email the .vsf to them.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
It can mean an entity origin is out in the void causing you headaches. Scroll down this page until you see the "Mismatched entity origins" part, then do what it says.

Sp00k

Dec 26, 2016
It can mean an entity origin is out in the void causing you headaches. Scroll down this page until you see the "Mismatched entity origins" part, then do what it says.
Just tried it, no Origin Helper showed up unfortunately.

Sp00k

Dec 26, 2016
Are those red walls world brushes? They won't seal the map otherwise.
Even though I selected them and changed them to World brushes using the ToWorld button just now (which didn't fix it), is there any way to confirm that they did get changed, just to be sure?

Also here's a picture of the leak from the inside just for future reference.
map leak error_2.png

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Even though I selected them and changed them to World brushes using the ToWorld button just now (which didn't fix it), is there any way to confirm that they did get changed, just to be sure?
Double-click on them. If the entity properties window doesn't pop up it's a world brush (only if you're not in Solids mode).

Last edited:

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Use Object or Group mode and open their properties with alt-enter. All it should show is visgroups settings, if that's true, selected object is a world brush. Warning! Solids selection mode will show any selected brush as a world in the properties window!

Sp00k

Dec 26, 2016
Use Object or Group mode and open their properties with alt-enter. All it should show is visgroups settings, if that's true, selected object is a world brush. Warning! Solids selection mode will show any selected brush as a world in the properties window!

So all the walls are world brushes, so that couldn't have been the problem. Any other ideas guys?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
You can also see what type of brush you have selected in the bottom right of the Hammer status bar.
36FrYOg.png

If it's a world brush it'll say it's a solid, but if you tied it to an entity it'll say the type of entity.

I'll take a look at your VMF if you like. I'll PM you my email address.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
When I compile my map, it says that the entity nearest to the leak (wherever that actually is) has leaked. It can be a trigger, a spawn point, or any other entity. However I am unable to actually find where the entity is. The pointfile shows the line going from the leaking entity to one of the walls of the room, then out to a point in the void, and then back at a fixed point which is where the leak presumably is, however this point is in the middle of the void so I'm not sure what I can do about this.
Hold up. You said it goes from "the leaking entity" to a point in the void. That is how pointfiles are supposed to work. What is "the leaking entity" in this equation?

Sp00k

Dec 26, 2016
Hold up. You said it goes from "the leaking entity" to a point in the void. That is how pointfiles are supposed to work. What is "the leaking entity" in this equation?
I meant that it goes through the walls to get to that point, where as the pointfile is supposed to show you the way to the actual leak. The leaking entity is a func_door. (previously was info_player_teamspawn)

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Try turning everything off, reopen hammer and compile it. My computer is 100% made out of wood so sometimes doing this just solves the problem.

How about radius culling? your 3d view might not be rendering some solids that seal your map. Try moving your 3d camera so that it renders everything. If it's rendered, your 2d view will also render everything.

Soilbleed

L2: Junior Member
May 7, 2015
I get this issue often with bigger maps:

How about radius culling? your 3d view might not be rendering some solids that seal your map. Try moving your 3d camera so that it renders everything. If it's rendered, your 2d view will also render everything.

This almost always fixes it for me; It's such a weird issue.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Also, is Hammer set to select "Groups" instead of "Brushes"? Because you have to be in "Groups" or "Objects" mode to actually show what's a func_detail and what isn't; otherwise it's going to act like everything is a world brush when you double click on it, and Move to World won't work.

Sp00k

Dec 26, 2016
Ok lads I just expanded the skybox and put it around where the leak should've been and it's fixed now so thanks anyway lol

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
The problem is that you have textured your spawn room walls with an overlay material. Hammer is probably treating the walls as transparent, so they won't seal the map.

Notice in this pic that the trigger material isn't showing over the red material. This indicates there is something special about the red material.
SPvGgSf.png

Now notice what happens when you select the bottom brush. You can see its highlighted edges on its opposite side through it.
wkjD9gI.png

Performing a find and replace on that texture for a similar one, using the face edit tool, stops the leak.
KPwxDkT.png

Don't use materials that live in overlays/ on world brushes.

Sp00k

Dec 26, 2016
Ah ok thanks I was wondering what was wrong with the textures I figured hammer must be glitching

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
The texture is fine. It's the material that's wrong.