Soldier shots

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Snipergen said:
I'm only impressed by the vid of the guys that play the original TF with the rocket launchers, that's some mad skill.

Gah, that includes me :/

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
Its skill. I can hit rocketjumping soldiers with the demoman primary about 50% of the time.

For example, if a soldier rocketjumps mostly vertically, if you aim directly at them, and fire at the apex of their jump, the grenade will hit. That's simple physics right there.

Last edited:

Sarah

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2008
I actually agree with you DJive, most newbies can play it well .. IF they are already good and experienced with other games such as CS and UT. If they aren't then it can be quite tricky to get used to at first especially if you have bad aim and you're not used to predicting enemy movements.
This is the one key thing I like about TF2 though, most classes you can play as a newbie and still feel like you're doing well and contributing, yet all of them have higher skill curves and things to master as it were. I'll admit I've seen a lot of new soldiers get themselves high on the score board without ever knowing how to rocket jump or control their ammo. It's the same fight with pyro's, they CAN be a push w+fire class, but find a good pyro who knows what he/she is doing and it doesn't seem so nooby after all !

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
I actually agree with you DJive, most newbies can play it well .. IF they are already good and experienced with other games such as CS and UT. If they aren't then it can be quite tricky to get used to at first especially if you have bad aim and you're not used to predicting enemy movements.
This is the one key thing I like about TF2 though, most classes you can play as a newbie and still feel like you're doing well and contributing, yet all of them have higher skill curves and things to master as it were. I'll admit I've seen a lot of new soldiers get themselves high on the score board without ever knowing how to rocket jump or control their ammo. It's the same fight with pyro's, they CAN be a push w+fire class, but find a good pyro who knows what he/she is doing and it doesn't seem so nooby after all !
Agreed, allthough I found soldier shit-hard when I began playing.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Yeah, when I have friends that just starting out in TF2, and they're worried about a learning curve and being wasted by experienced players, I tell them to try out the Soldier first. Nobody ever says, "Try the Spy first". The Soldier is just nice and straightforward. However, it's cool that there's an upper level of skill for the guy.

Even my favorite class the Pyro is pretty simple and straightforward. He's more complex than a "go forth and kill" character, but when it comes down to it, ambush techniques aren't hard to learn when you are familiar with the map.

There are certain classes that come off as simple and "n00b-friendly", but I think that's a good thing.

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
[INC] Zodiac;36570 said:
I'll say most people use scripts, thanks to FPSBANANA.com

As an experienced scripter, I can tell you the only useful function for soldiers that scripts provide is a one-click rocket jump (crouch+jump+fire with one click). There are some pretty sophisticated scripts for other classes (spy in particular) but not many can aid with the soldier.

laghlagh

Jul 15, 2008
As an experienced scripter, I can tell you the only useful function for soldiers that scripts provide is a one-click rocket jump (crouch+jump+fire with one click). There are some pretty sophisticated scripts for other classes (spy in particular) but not many can aid with the soldier.

Agreed. Scripts aren't magic.

Boom-Chaka-laka

L1: Registered
Oct 15, 2008
Personally I have done a few of these, and noticed that it requires alot of skill. People that do it nonstop like (Reptile) have been around since the beginning and know where u will be at when they pop u up. Just takes alot of practice. I've been using Demoman alot and have had a few mid air shots with the pipe bomb, but hard to do.