Snowdrift

CTF Snowdrift b4a

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
I wouldn't like to move the flag or the spawn, so I thought I'd make the flag return time 60 seconds, that with the fixed spawntimes and more time should make it easier for blue.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Alpha.. 7? Is here:

Changes:
-flag returns in 60 seconds
-Added more time (6mins -> 10 mins)
-Cap points are now bigger and can be blocked
-respawn times are still longer for blue but shorter than before (10 -> 6, red 4)
-some detailing
-some other changes I forgot about

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
ctf_snowdrift_a70001.jpg

I think you should make it easier for blue to get up here, or add another route into the final cap point- atm red has a pretty big advanatage wwith blue spawning a fair way away, then having to go through the small chokepoint.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Needs more snow. I have some a snow weather effect I could give you if I can get it to work in TF2.

Sep 12, 2008
Well, then please change the sky, because snow isn't gonna fall out of the moon, like I said in my previous post :p

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Quick update, snowdrift_a8a:
-a8 was missing some playerclips, added those
-added fearlezz's snowfall particles, however, bspzipping broke them so they don't work
-other minor changes that I forgot about

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I think it's a little flat. You should try playing around with the ambient colour to get some bolder shadows.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
New version spawned new problems, but I know exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to make the point itself almost impossible to defend. I don't want the red team to just camp on the point. The announcer says: "stop the courier", not "wait on the point for the courier to come with the flag and then have your sentry kill him"

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
Ok, so I felt like I should post this:

Long return time on the intel is BAD.
This really becomes apparent in the first stage. If you watch the last round of the demo, you'll see that the intel only came from one direction, and all the Sentries were basically prepared to point that direction. Since the intel was already halfway to the CP, Blu decided to just go pick up the intel and rush headfirst into the sentry wall. At some point, Blu started coming around the other way and had destroyed some of our sentries, but I'm pretty sure the intel was still in the other route.

Shorter return time would allow Blu to more quickly change the route it takes, so Red won't be AS prepared. That's just what I think.

Adding another CP
If you go back and add additional CPs to the stages, I think there'd be more Blu wins. Additional CPs make it so that Red has to wander forward at the beginning and can't get the whole setup period to build up at the final CP and just chillax there the entire round. Also, additional CP gives Blu the reward of time if they can cap it fast enough.

As soon as Red realizes that moving forward toward the Blu spawn is detrimental to their defense, all they have to do is turtle at the last CP. And then the first half of the map is pointless except for making Blu run through it and for spies to get around.

Basically, by having 1 CP you might as well be making the map half as big and making Blu's spawn twice as long. You know? And then that's just getting rid of half your map and no one wants that =(

I think the map worked well, but the combination of these two sort of broke it.

Oh, also remove the health near Blue spawn. That's never good.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Sounds good to me, if you can pull it off.