Site Rollback Information, please read!

Oct 6, 2008
Any updates on the mapping discussion forum? I'm noticing a couple of missign posts.

Oct 6, 2008
Ok cool - thanks for the update on the update!

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Ah. So it sounds like my guess was partially right; the column that holds the "what forum does this thread go in" ID had all of its values set to the same number. I bet that could have been fixed with a little SQL-fu without resorting to rolling back the whole forum, honestly. It would just be a matter of copying the associations from the backup and then moving the leftover threads manually.

Yup, but they seem to be too lazy to do that.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Yup, but they seem to be too lazy to do that.

I've had a couple people to come to me saying "no no no, this is actually really easy!" I honestly don't know the coding needed to do that, so that would be some drp would do.

The only issue that I would see with doing a sort function is merging the old w/ new. All post that are older than 3 weeks would already be there so would there be an issue with use ending up with copies (which we don't want), would it replace itself? Or would it be able to properly fit itself inbetween the old and new?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
What I would have done — assuming the database is structured the way I think it is — is write a run-once PHP script that performs a process like this:

Code:
retrieve thread #'s and subforum association #'s from the threads table in the old DB
store that mess in an array
for each row in the array:
- find the row in the current DB with the same thread #
- set the subforum association # in the current DB to the one in that row of the array

Then it'd just be a matter of finding the leftover threads, the ones that were made since the backup, and putting them where they belong manually. I assume that could be done through the VBulletin control panel.

Now that we've already started running off the backup, though, it's gotten a lot more complicated, because now we've got all the posts and threads that have been made since the rollback, which have the same #'s as the lost posts. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what we'd do about those.

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Code:
update oldTopics, newTopics set newTopics.forumId=oldTopics.forumid where newTopics.topicId=oldTopics.topicId

Very complicated. Certainly not something I threw together in 10 minutes.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Or that.

Oct 6, 2008
Now that we've already started running off the backup, though, it's gotten a lot more complicated, because now we've got all the posts and threads that have been made since the rollback, which have the same #'s as the lost posts. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what we'd do about those.

Why don't you just lock the forums so no posts can be made until everything else is reloaded so that to don't have to wory about the duplicate / overwirte issues from happening? The once you have done that - you can then repost anything new so that it gets a new number in the proper order?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It's done, guys. Next time one of them does it I'm sure they'll do a query. At this point harping on it won't help.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Okay guys, the sandbox is up.

I will be pulling -text/links- from the backup database for now. Rav will probably go in and dig out the judge reviews, etc.

As for more personal things, once we get the major stuff (judge reviews, and contest stuff mainly) I will look into seeing if it is viable to do a "requests" thread, and see if there are specific tid-bits, that you found memorable, that you would like me to pull. I won't pull the entire forum back over. but I will give back shards as much as I can.

Sorry about your account R0ugh.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I shouldn't have gotten one anyway.

You freely admitted that you're a douche bag and that you wouldn't have been surprised about infractions in the past, on other posts; and that out of all your posts the silly thing was the post in question that got infracted, not the infraction itself. Just look at it this way, you got 1 infraction for all your dickhead posts ever, which now doesn't even exist. You shouldn't be complaining.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I'm not complaining, I am making a statement. I just think the entire debacle was stupid. Not only was the post fine, but it was only restored after pressure from people in chat and then infracted as a token gesture. It's reckless moderation.

I will discuss this with anyone in private. I don't think this is the thread for it.