Shmitz's Polypack thread

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Shmitz, use prongs as the tip; either two or three electro-claws would look fun.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I still don't like the tip. It looks like some electric harpoon gun. Add something that seems like it would conduct electricity instead of stab things.

Shmitz, use prongs as the tip; either two or three electro-claws would look fun.

You people need to read more old school sci-fi.

Prongs are what you use when you want to create a circuit on contact. Prongs would be used to stab things.

Cones and other pointy things, on the other hand, are what you use when you want to trick electrons into moving in a given direction and then have no place to go other than out and beyond.

See the discharge point in this device. Additionally, static dischargers also work on this principle.

There are, of course, probably flaws in the design of the gun in terms of functioning on actual real world electric principles, but I don't want to throw that stuff completely out the window. :p

Plus, I tried about 5 or 6 different prong-based tips and they all looked terrible. Remember this is replacing the shotgun, and the tip there is only barely the width of the shotgun barrel. It's small, and will not be seen much by either other players or the person holding it:

tesla_wip07b.jpg

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
This is fantastic Shmitz, stick with what looks good (just like you have been). ;)
The end could also look good as a sphere IMO.

EDIT: Might be nice if the little dial/meter on the side was angled slightly to face the player in first-person view.

Last edited:

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
Looks great! I'm interested to see how you'll be getting it to work in game. Blender is an awesome modeling program, but it's importer, and exporters are rather sketchy compared to other programs out there.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
I like this 100x better textured. :) Much more TF2-suitable than I had previously expected.

I still gotta say though ...

I'm sorry, Shmitz, but this has to be for the engineer.

No ifs ands or buts.

This. This is what I still gotta say.

If you're looking for functionality ideas (dunno if you are, or if that's even relevant to the contest), this makes me picture primary fire shooting electrical bursts in the style of the standard shotgun, and holding secondary acting as a charge shot that would consume multiple ammo units (power of the charge would be based both on remaining shots in the clip and length of time the button is held down). Lower overall damage from the standard fire relative to the shotgun, but a nasty kick with the ammo-devouring secondary.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
absolutely love this design !
but make the round stuff on the barrell more round :D
you should feel progress-watched !

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
That entire thing is the taunt.

Needs to be a kill taunt too. Anyone who walks into the beams of the thing (which is anyone who enters the room during the taunt, as the beams will stray out to all the walls for some reason) will die instantly. :O

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Soldier looks a little off, and the heavy's finger is bigger than the trigger.

teslamabob.png

Make the red areas team colored or something

Last edited:

Pooluke41

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 24, 2010
Still need to create a specular mask and do other refinements to the skin, but I wanted to see what it looked like in everybody's hands, partly for giggles, but also to see if I needed to make any changes to the geometry.

tesla_wip_group.jpg

Needs Moar Engineer!