Several things

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Terrorist5150, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Terrorist5150

Terrorist5150 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, I am making a new map and need to know a few things before I finish it. Here is a list of questions:

1. Can I make it so you can walk though a wall? Like the wall is perfectly visible, but it is not solid

2. Can I make it so there is constantly fog a certain distance away from you (of any fog at all)

3. Can I make it so a .wav or .mp3 is always playing throughout the map and loops?

That's all I have for now.

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    1. Look into func_brushes, just set them to "non-solid"
    2. I think there is, but I'm not sure how exactly.
    3. Yes, just place it in the proper folder and set it to a env_soundscape or ambient_generic.

3. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    doing this from work so can't give you difinite answer at the moment until I get home - but just in case you're in a hurry.

Fog does have a max visibility limit - once you pass that limit you can't see anything from the players point of view. Be careful with it though - it looks kind of wierd walking through an outdoor area where buildings etc just appear out of nowhere.

FROZ3EN - correct me if I'm wrong but I thought we could conly use .wav files in game and not mp3.

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I think MP3's work but only WAVs can be looped. Something like that, look on the VDC for more info.

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    1. func_illusionary is probably a lot better suited to that end...

As for number 2, i'm pretty sure that's exactly how the fog_controller entity works by default.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Is there any real difference besides func_brush also being able to do other, unrelated things?

7. Archmage MC

Archmage MC L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    func_illusionary uses less memory than func_brush

Not sure if I understand no. 2.

Only .WAVs can be looped. .MP3s can't, but they can be played randomly if not looped in a soundscape. Look into making soundscapes for a constant sound in the map looping.