-Fixed door near cp1
-The ability to get back in your forward spawns
-Less doorways

Any other things? :D

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Actually, you probably could fully detail it. I don't see much gameplay problems and rather enjot it as it is.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
The irritating thing is that it always plays different - sometimes there are chokepoints, and at other games there are none. :p

Well I guess that's a good thing though?

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
The irritating thing is that it always plays different - sometimes there are chokepoints, and at other games there are none. :p

Long as the chokepoints are not impossible to live with and ruins the experience, yes it is good thing. :thumbup:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008

Every map plays different. I've seen it happen numerous times on Amargosa. Sometimes a good defence can hold off stage 1, sometimes stage 1 is rolled. I try to work off what I see the most, which is why I've had quite a lot of tests of a8 at different player sizes (from 4v4 up to 12v12) Work by averages, work by averages...

:p

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Alpha 8 has been released!

Download:

TF2Maps
Dropbox

Changelog:

25/06/2010: A8:

-Added spectator cameras
-Fixed broken door
-Ability to now get back in your forward spawn
-Made some doorways bigger around the brigde after CP2
-Forward door which opens after CP2 is capped is now a 1-way door

I would like to know on which higher floors I should place handrails because I don't really know where do place them and where not. :/

And it's possible that I will be starting to detail this soon if it keeps playing well. :)

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
*1st cp is good, it is not hard or too easy to capture.
pl_saguaro_a80001.jpg

*Add sign or something. (To know when door opens)
pl_saguaro_a80002.jpg

*This map is very maze like. There is so much routes but zero signs
pl_saguaro_a80003.jpg

*What is this hole of doom!?
pl_saguaro_a80004.jpg

*There are plenty of good sentry spots for engineer
pl_saguaro_a80005.jpg

*Random door glitch
pl_saguaro_a80006.jpg

Also:
Hanz : blu has too many height advantage at cp 3
Ember : too much height advantage for blue

E: It seems that 3rd and 4th point are too easy to capture. You might want to do something about it. You can also get stuck in spawns.

Last edited:

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I'm gonna steal MrLate's picture
pl_saguaro_a80005.jpg

This needs deleting or filling up or whatever, it totally stops blue from getting through that corridor when there are sentries up there as even with an uber, it's far too hard to attack from below

I did have a lot of fun playing this map though, but we rarely seemed to get past cap 2

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Ok thanks Late and Stick, I'll definately make cp 2 a little easier and cp 3-4 harder. Although cp4 was just hard to defend because BLU was still on their steamroll after capping cp 3 I think.

Any other feedback/thoughts? :)

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
The aforementioned oomph for the last cap as well as the initial area would help. Look at Badwater - the first area really throws up a spectacle when people come out of the gates. Since the first cap is the area that people play most in, think of something cool, small or big, to do there.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I didn't like this part and the inside area. It seemed to serve no function other than to allow RED to spam the kart going underneath the hole inside. Add a window, or remove a wall from one of those empty sides I'm looking at.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Alpha 9 has been released!

Download!

TF2Maps
Dropbox

Screenshots!

pl_saguaro_a90000.jpg

pl_saguaro_a90001.jpg

pl_saguaro_a90002.jpg

pl_saguaro_a90003.jpg

pl_saguaro_a90004.jpg

Changelog!

28/06/2010: A9:

-Fixed that you could get stuck in forward spawns
-Added a little more signage
-Fixed overpowered sentry spot at CP2
-Reduced ammo at CP2
-Changed a few things around CP3 to make that CP harder to cap for BLU
-Changed a few things around CP4 to make that CP harder to cap for BLU

Tyker

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 1, 2009
This leads to a loooong hallway wich ends in a dead end. Yes, the other way it is a full path, but I saw a lot of people go through this doorway and be annoyed they needed to go the entire way back again.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Any feedback of the impromptu test of a few minutes ago?

I think everything played rather good, much better than last version. The last CP was a bit hard (well each last CP in a payload map is a hard) but I will make it easier to use the sideroute, because this time BLU couldn't reach that route.

And I also saw the doors of the forward doors opening and closing without any reason (I mean, before they were enabled + there wasn't anybody in the trigger) which was weird. Am I the only one who saw it?

Anybody some other feedback/opinions/comments? :D

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The map has too many corners and too many drop downs. You need to spruce up areas with varieties in route width so defenders arn't always smirkishing from balconies but periodicly setting up bulwarks as well. Especially since this is a single stage payload.

Remove the double drop down as well, it's kinda annoying.

That said, the map is quite well balanced... though the last point needs to be only very slightly easier. reduce the amount of sentry friendly corners and this should allow teams to make more successful assaults that allow for actual progression. Also, feel free to reduce the height defenders have at the last point. It was kinda excessive, especially given all of the other defensive advantages.

• Less balconies, or at least make some lower so attackers arn't always blind to ambushes.
  • Less corners, the map is one long zig zag; even if some lengths are still good for snipers.
  • More variety in path widths, make some smaller, the whole map was pretty much large balconies with a comfortably wide track path.
  • More dynamic signs for BLU, i didn't realise there was a mid-round shortcut until quite late into the game.
  • More of the same signs for RED; and less giant letters. The letters are supposed to be for CP maps and don't indicate very efficiently the direction for players to head.

Last edited:

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
You need to remove some of the "stuff" all around the map, sniping is stupid due to too much spam.
For the final cap you need another route trhat isn't able to be covered by the sentries outside of Red spawn. Attacking is stupidly hard when they have 2 sentries.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Alright I'll be fixing these things and then go over to the detailling.

But I couldn't decide on a theme yet, so if you would have any suggestions please tell me. :p I won't be doing something like Goldrush because I just don't like to detail a map with that theme.

The themes I could be doing so far are: something industrial like steel or something like gorge with secret cacti greenhouses and stuff. :p

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
Try Gorge. It looks much more fresh and new, industrial is depressing...