Rough'n'ready Portal 2 SDK

Discussion in 'Portal 2' started by Randdalf, Apr 20, 2011.

1. WastedMeerkat

WastedMeerkat L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    For those struggling with indicator lights:

1. Place several regular info_overlays with the material, "indicator_lights_wall" (make sure you pick the blue ones!) on the ground or wall or ceiling, just until you have a nice line from your button to your output.

2. Shift+click+drag all of your new overlays a space away or so, and then place the new overlays right back where the originals are. Then change the entity type from "info_overlay" to "info_overlay_accessor". Name them all the same name. (eg. "button_01_indicator_lights")

EDIT: Name your info_overlays AND your info_overlay_accessors all the same name, just to avoid potential problems.

3. Create a env_texturetoggle and name it. (eg. "button_01_indicator_lights_change") Change the target brush to the name of your info_overlay_accessors. ("button_01_indicator_lights")

4. Go add an output on your button, or whatever triggering device you want to use, and name it "OnPressed", target your env_texturetoggle with the input "SetTextureIndex" and add a parameter of 1. Then add another output named "OnUnpressed" and target your env_texturetoggle with "SetTextureIndex" again, and add a parameter of 0. (1=On, 0=Off)

5. You're done! Stand back in amazement as your blue indicator lights become orange at the press of a button. You can also add the tick marks and the fancy Aperture icons (in the texture browser, type "indicator_lights"), and they work the same way. Just name them and add them to the target brushes key on the env_texturetoggle. (Separate multiple brushes with spaces)

EDIT: Also, make sure that you name every separate line of overlays a different name so that one button doesn't activate all of your indicator lights.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Snacks

Snacks TODO: Clever title

Positive Ratings:
    Catapult visualization:

To see the lines for where players and phys objects will go that was in the dev commentary use this command:

ent_bbox trigger_catapult

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry... Alright, I got the compile fixed, I just had to adjust the paths in the $bsp_exe files (I used the fast compiles because they are the same)... compile fine now.

But I have the issue of all the entities showing up as little black and purple checkers. What is this fix?

4. Zhan

Zhan L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    Cough.

6. Amwryn

Amwryn L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    amazingly silly problem...

admitedly its been a long time since ive done anything in hammer... but i cant seem to get a simple player touch trigger to work.. i.e. Trigger_multiple the flag settings are all "marines and aliens" and such from AS but no option for "Clients" as per older HL2/OB versions of hammer.

Am i missing something amazingly dumb?

Edit. Tinkering with flag settings in older versions spawnflag :1 should be players. however that option is not avalible.. skips over 1 and goes directly to 2,4 etc.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  7. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You should see a doctor about that cough...

I got it fixed, did exactly that.

8. Zmathue

Zmathue L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I removed the alien swarm fgd to fix this, it looks like everything is alright even though others have said it would cause more problems.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Amwryn

Amwryn L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    13 seconds after reading this I have a functional Trigger. TY so very much.

10. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:

This is really cool, I loved the puzzle.

11. Lord Ned

Lord Ned L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Still doesn't work for me. Did it once and it has no effect, did it again and every light started orange and wouldn't toggle... Do we have to do anything to the original info_overlays?

12. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Skimming back a few pages can't hurt.

13. Freyja

aa Freyja It hurt itself in it's confusion!

Positive Ratings:
    To be fair, 14 pages is a lot to go through. We need a FAQ on the OP.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Boom.Headshot

Boom.Headshot L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    hey, I've been working on a map for portal 2, but I can't figure out how to do the fizzlers... I make a brush in between the two props, add the effects/fizzler texture to it, and then tie it to an entity of trigger_portal_cleanser, but the texture is lost... Any advice?

15. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    For now I'd recommend copying it straight from a valve map, that's what I've done so far and its worked 100% of the time. Make sure to select all copied work from another map and go to Tools > Center origins. Otherwise you'll get leaks for no reason.

OR you can turn off SmartEdit and add a new keyvalue.

Name it 'Visible' then set it to '1'

16. Boom.Headshot

Boom.Headshot L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, works great now :D

17. WastedMeerkat

Positive Ratings:
    Hrm, you shouldn't have to. Idk what could be causing the problem. Have you solved it yet?

EDIT: Solved. It turns out that naming the info_overlays AND the info_overlay_accessors fixes the problem. I guess it's just safe to always do that, just in case.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  18. Phil42

Phil42 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    My problem is, that the overlay don't even appear. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong... What do I have to change in the properties that they work?

19. Steff0o

Steff0o L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  20. WastedMeerkat

Positive Ratings:
    You probably just need to edit the "Brush faces" key. Just click it, then click "Pick...", then click whichever brush faces you want the overlay to be on.