aa
Dec 22, 2008
Early texture build in the model viewer:

With some phong options:
Vending8.jpg

With specular (no phong):
Vending9.jpg

Which is better?

I need to do a lot of detail work, but I think I'm pretty happy with what's there.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I think the guy who actually requested this has disappeared into the depths of the internet for his quest for one of these. :/

O:

In other news, I don't think I like the color scheme of the current one...I think I want to start over with the skin.

Also, what does anyone think about completely removing the top part? I can put the logo elsewhere.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah, the top seems silly. The logo would fit at the very top of the machine, and could probably do some good on the sides as well.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That was yesterday

It was supposed to be more a statement on what would normally happen. Someone requests something, plans are deliberated, plans are delayed, model is made and the guys f'd off. Since this is such a decent model, i would have found it ironic if this guy had continued else where for his search of the production of this model.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
I think the guy who actually requested this has disappeared into the depths of the internet for his quest for one of these. :/

Lol, Im still here :p
Wow Rexy, that looks great! It's just what I imagined as well
On my amazing quest for one of these I actually dl'd blender and then realised I have no idea how to use it, but mabye sometime :D

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
Oh and also, as I was gonna use this as a physics prop barricade for my map, the top thing might get in the way a bit. But don't let it stop you if it looks nicer :p

Pyrit

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2009
Very nice looking model. I might consider using it as a prop for my current WIP-map, if you don't mind! :)

Personally, I like the logo at the top. I suggest you could put some kind of neon-light up sign on it, ala the Fallout 3 Nuka Cola machines.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I tend to think the no phong option looks better because it isnt creating harsh highlights.

But. I know how lovely phong looks. are you using any of the lightwarp textures? can i recomend the hand warp?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I tend to think the no phong option looks better because it isnt creating harsh highlights.

But. I know how lovely phong looks. are you using any of the lightwarp textures? can i recomend the hand warp?

Right now it's models/player/pyro/pyro_lightwarp, cause that's the one on the bombcart model, and it's my fav. But I'll try using the hand warp.

Problem is I'm torn between specular or phong. :\.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Nice looking model.

It might look better without the sign on top, never seen a machine like that.

Why does the AO have a grid on it? Doesn't look like you used the AO pass on the tex.
If you did you really need to get more shadows in it, Valves are really pretty ugly AO maps, almost splotchy and over shadowed.

The red is too maroon. You should use specular on the glass and chrome.
(you might need to make the glass a seperate tex (I've heard you can only use the alpha for spec or transparency, glass needs both but as a seperate material I think it can be transparent and specular with no alpha.
Then you can use the alpha for specular bits of chrome on the main tex. and the glass tex could be real small)

I don't reallly like the bottles though. 1: they aren't round enough and it shows, 2: they look just like a flat piece, nothing 3d looking about them from those screens. Or maybe that's the 'holders' in which case a few bottles in there would help alot.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Why does the AO have a grid on it? Doesn't look like you used the AO pass on the tex.
It's got a grid just because it was a placeholder for the textures...which hadn't been made yet. I just placed the AO layer on multiply in PS over the top of the UV texture layer, like this:

demo1.jpg

With basic color + some details:
Vending10.jpg

Your concern is probably right, I will probably need to increase the darkness.

You should use specular on the glass and chrome.
(you might need to make the glass a seperate tex (I've heard you can only use the alpha for spec or transparency, glass needs both but as a seperate material I think it can be transparent and specular with no alpha.
Then you can use the alpha for specular bits of chrome on the main tex. and the glass tex could be real small)

You can do this, or you can simply refer the 3-D software to use a seperate texture for those areas, and tell the .vmt to use the very same texture, only with different parameters (by use of $baseTexture). You only need 1 texture, same alpha channel (since each area on the UV mesh is unique). It saves filesize, and there's no difference, like this:

vending_machine_01.vmt said:
"VertexLitGeneric"
{
"$baseTexture" "models\props_misc\vending_machine_01"
"$bumpmap" "models\props_misc\vending_machine_01_normal"

"$model" 1

"$phong" "1"
"$phongexponent" "10"
"$phongboost" "0.05"
"$lightwarptexture" "models/player/engineer/engineer_hands_lightwarp"
"$phongfresnelranges" "[1 5 60]"
"$halflambert" "1"

// Rim lighting parameters
"$rimlight" "1" // To enable rim lighting (requires phong)
"$rimlightexponent" "4" // Exponent for phong component of rim lighting
"$rimlightboost" ".1" // Boost for ambient cube component of rim lighting
}
And:
vending_machine_01_glass.vmt said:
"VertexLitGeneric"
{
"$baseTexture" "models\props_misc\vending_machine_01"

"$model" 1
"$translucent" 1
"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
"$bumpmap" "models\props_misc\vending_machine_01_normal"
"$envmaptint" "[1 1 1]"
}

I don't reallly like the bottles though. 1: they aren't round enough and it shows, 2: they look just like a flat piece, nothing 3d looking about them from those screens. Or maybe that's the 'holders' in which case a few bottles in there would help alot.

Yeah, I don't like those either. I really hate that part of the model...there's going to need to be a lot of detail work there, otherwise it just will look quite fake. With the space I free from removing the top dongle, I'll probably fill the UV mesh with 'Cracky Pop' bottles. Then there's logo work and detail, etc...dents, scratches, paint spots. Right now there's something about this model that makes me really pissed though...I think it's the color. :\

Last edited:

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah, I figured that was what the grid was but just never saw anyone overlay ao onto the grid. No biggie, I'd actually like to see it with AO only applied so it's grey scale. I think renders like that look cool but also let you see the shadows as they lay nicely.

Still seems like your AO is too smooth though. Grab XNormal, it's still beta so grab it while you can. I recently used the hi/low poly meshes for a few AO bakes and they came out pretty good with default settings.
It does normals and stuff too, great tool.

One thing I notice on the AO that I think should show is a shadow under the chrome handle.

I think the color is just too dark/orange and could use some of those typical TF2 'square splotches' of a lighter red.

I've used that multi-smae tex trick for another game, didn't think about it though ;)

I don't think the bottles really need geometry, the glass,shadows and reflections will hide them some anyway. But deffinately some good tex work.

Looking foward to seeing it in game.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, I figured that was what the grid was but just never saw anyone overlay ao onto the grid. No biggie, I'd actually like to see it with AO only applied so it's grey scale. I think renders like that look cool but also let you see the shadows as they lay nicely.

Still seems like your AO is too smooth though. Grab XNormal, it's still beta so grab it while you can. I recently used the hi/low poly meshes for a few AO bakes and they came out pretty good with default settings.
It does normals and stuff too, great tool.

One thing I notice on the AO that I think should show is a shadow under the chrome handle.

I think the color is just too dark/orange and could use some of those typical TF2 'square splotches' of a lighter red.

I've used that multi-smae tex trick for another game, didn't think about it though ;)

I don't think the bottles really need geometry, the glass,shadows and reflections will hide them some anyway. But deffinately some good tex work.

Looking foward to seeing it in game.

I'll have to check out XNormal...been looking for a good alternative for AO. Thanks for the tips!