Quick sand help

Yabayabayaba

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 2, 2016
I am trying to make quick sand for a joke map, rather like the quicksand from Mario 64, where you slowly sink while you run along it, jumping gets you unstuck, and sinking to far kills you. I wanted to have several layers of displacements and a teleport brush that lowers you a level every few seconds. This would allow you to jump up a displacement, and has few moving parts. But when you are teleported into a brush or displacement you get stuck. Also the trigger_teleport_relative teleports you relative to its origin, not according the player like advertised. Any solutions or ideas?

Yabayabayaba

Jun 2, 2016
Update, make a platform that lowers into the sand slowly when you are standing on it, and raises when you jump. Obviously I cant just put one of these under the floor because everyone in the sand would sink at the same time. Each player would need their own. I could parent one to each player, but then they would be visible through the rest of the map if they walked up stairs or something. So i need to have one follow each player in the X and Y, but not Z (all quicksand is at the same level).

Yabayabayaba

Jun 2, 2016
Use trigger_push
Please elaborate, how does a trigger push help me. I don's see how I can use this to achieve the desired effect, allowing you to walk on a surface you slowly sink into, independently from nearby players.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Please elaborate, how does a trigger push help me. I don's see how I can use this to achieve the desired effect, allowing you to walk on a surface you slowly sink into, independently from nearby players.

Read the wiki article, the trigger pushes entities that touch it.

So, position the trigger on the quicksand and make it so that the trigger pushes entities into the brush. That's basically it. And it works for independent entities.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Read the wiki article, the trigger pushes entities that touch it.

So, position the trigger on the quicksand and make it so that the trigger pushes entities into the brush. That's basically it. And it works for independent entities.
But the problem is yaba needs a way to keep players from falling like a rock. This would combine with gravity to cause players to fall even faster.

If you want to use a trigger_push, instead of pushing players down, push players up to counteract gravity. If you get the push force right, players will fall slowly (due to gravity), but won't fall rapidly as if falling in a hole or off a cliff (the trigger_push will be counteracting some of the gravity). Combined with a nonsolid func_brush, this can give the illusion of slowly sinking into the ground. The only problem with this is that players won't be able to get out by jumping.

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Update, make a platform that lowers into the sand slowly when you are standing on it, and raises when you jump. Obviously I cant just put one of these under the floor because everyone in the sand would sink at the same time. Each player would need their own. I could parent one to each player, but then they would be visible through the rest of the map if they walked up stairs or something. So i need to have one follow each player in the X and Y, but not Z (all quicksand is at the same level).
you could make the platform with a small brush, as not to obstruct people running behind you on stairs, or below you in a thin floor/if you are jumping over (right under their feet(the platform)) and you could also texture it with playerclip, that way it would be invisible but you would still collide with it