Question about skybox textures

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Diva Dan, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    I was preemptively creating and releasing a skybox before I made a map for the 72hr jam coming up. However, The side textures of the skybox Look like This; [​IMG]
    Instead of this; [​IMG]

It's like it's shrinking the texture longways, and then doubling it. I know why this system is in place in tf2 or hl2 because you aren't ever supposed to see below the horizon line, but for my map specifically I want to have the bottom half of the skybox visible at all times.

Is there any way to circumvent this?

2. Auwi

aa Auwi Certified in best in fun

Positive Ratings:
    A lot of stuff you need to edit is going to be in your .vmt files for the sides of the skyboxes, you need to edit the $basetexturetransform string to scale it correctly

"sky"
    {

"$hdrbasetexture" "skybox/sky_example_01ft"
    "$nofog" "1"
    "$ignorez" "1"
    "$basetexture" "skybox/sky_example_01ft"
    "$basetexturetransform" "center 0 0 scale 1 1 rotate 0 translate 0 0"
    "%keywords" "tf"
    }

I can also see you have half your skybox texture is just negative space, you can edit out the bottom half of it, but you'll need to change your $basetextureform string to " "$basetexturetransform" "center 0 0 scale 1 2 rotate 0 translate 0 0"" which will change the scale to be correct

In addition if you're going to do that, enable Clamp S and Clamp T for your flags in the .vtf file using VTFedit

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks a lot, I'll try out the transform options. I think that'll do the trick!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Everything went good and well, but for some reason the quality is noticibly lower in my skybox than the game I ripped it from. It seems like the pixel fidelity is much lower and there is a lot of blending involved. Here's a comparison:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is there a way to keep the pixels sharp?

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Did you save as BGR888 instead of DXT1?

6. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Nah, I have DXT1 selected.

7. Dr. Orange

Dr. Orange L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try converting it to vtf with Mipmaps and LOD disabled.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Well, that's probably the issue then. Skyboxes are traditionally uncompressed because of how visible the compression artifacts would be.

• Thanks Thanks x 1