Question about skybox textures

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
I was preemptively creating and releasing a skybox before I made a map for the 72hr jam coming up. However, The side textures of the skybox Look like This;
D7eAYyp.jpg

Instead of this;
Iip0lZe.png

It's like it's shrinking the texture longways, and then doubling it. I know why this system is in place in tf2 or hl2 because you aren't ever supposed to see below the horizon line, but for my map specifically I want to have the bottom half of the skybox visible at all times.

Is there any way to circumvent this?

Auwi

Certified in best in fun
aa
Dec 12, 2012
A lot of stuff you need to edit is going to be in your .vmt files for the sides of the skyboxes, you need to edit the $basetexturetransform string to scale it correctly

"sky"
{

"$hdrbasetexture" "skybox/sky_example_01ft"
"$nofog" "1"
"$ignorez" "1"
"$basetexture" "skybox/sky_example_01ft"
"$basetexturetransform" "center 0 0 scale 1 1 rotate 0 translate 0 0"
"%keywords" "tf"
}

I can also see you have half your skybox texture is just negative space, you can edit out the bottom half of it, but you'll need to change your $basetextureform string to " "$basetexturetransform" "center 0 0 scale 1 2 rotate 0 translate 0 0"" which will change the scale to be correct

In addition if you're going to do that, enable Clamp S and Clamp T for your flags in the .vtf file using VTFedit

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Everything went good and well, but for some reason the quality is noticibly lower in my skybox than the game I ripped it from. It seems like the pixel fidelity is much lower and there is a lot of blending involved. Here's a comparison:
znmszeG.png

twofIQS.jpg

Is there a way to keep the pixels sharp?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Did you save as BGR888 instead of DXT1?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Nah, I have DXT1 selected.
Well, that's probably the issue then. Skyboxes are traditionally uncompressed because of how visible the compression artifacts would be.