How do you feel about the pyro update?

• Total voters

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
:huh: why the hell can't I do that!?!?

<_<

this was me before the pyro update...
as pyro id run up behind a soldier and start burning them, they turn around, have a moment to stare at you, shoot one rocket (happens to be a crit) and you're dead, while at the same time they come out of being burned and crit rocketed by themselves perfectly fine...When this happens 4 times in a row you start to get a little pissed...so then you go sniper and start only shooting soldiers <_<

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
<_<

this was me before the pyro update...
as pyro id run up behind a soldier and start burning them, they turn around, have a moment to stare at you, shoot one rocket (happens to be a crit) and you're dead, while at the same time they come out of being burned and crit rocketed by themselves perfectly fine...When this happens 4 times in a row you start to get a little pissed...so then you go sniper and start only shooting soldiers <_<

Sound like a sore looser to me....

Crits are fair game and people complain about soldiers too much, sure they can get annoying every now and then but when I play soldier I find myself failing totally because of the constant nerfs (first ammo now rocket damage..... :()

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
The only thing about soldiers that were ever overpowered were/are crit rockets. The ammo nerf and the reduction nerf do not fix that problem, and only serve to gimp the class in situations where it already had disadvantages.

Also, regarding your hypothetical soldier encounter, I've had experiences like that with every class in the game vs every class in the game. There's nothing unique about it. Crits happen.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
meh, its not hypothetical <_< happened about a week before the update in fact

Its just an example of my most prominent reason why i hate soldiers; personally, i think i just hate soldiers due to me loving close range, suicidal combat, and soldiers ruining that.
For your reference though, I don't really have a problem with crits, produces some of the most retarded and the most epic things, and I personally love that element of chance.

I just really don't like soldiers and will continue to love all the nerfing they get, even though im well aware that most of the things I hate about the class is very luck related.

And im sure everyone has classes they hate with little rationality, like...I seem to recall youme saying that he hated snipers somewhere on the forum...

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I just really don't like soldiers and will continue to love all the nerfing they get, even though im well aware that most of the things I hate about the class is very luck related.

imma sound like an ass but its ok with me =)

i agree completely. I HATE the soldier class. I hate the fact 90% of people who play soldiers have no real actual skill and still shoot at your chest. i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT ROCKET!1.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT PIPE!1.

i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT SCATTERGUN!1.

i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT BONESAW!1.

i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT MINIGUN!1.

i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT FLAME!1.

i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT WRENCH!1.

i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT SMG!1.

i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 FACESTAB!1.

There, I fixed it for you. =)

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008

i agree completely. I HATE the soldier class. I hate the fact 90% of people who play soldiers have no real actual skill and still shoot at your chest. i HATE the fact even with you have the complete right positioning, timing and drop on one he can LAWLS!11 CRIT ROCKET!1.

I HATE the fact that ppl complain so much about him, he's the coolest class!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
lol i see the point there shmitz, but what pisses me off is i die by all the other types of classes and guns a fiar bit.

seems like the only time *at least a LOT more often then not* a soldier kill me its a crit rocket.

my regular to crit ratio is prolly close to 1:8 as far as what do i die to.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The only thing about soldiers that were ever overpowered were/are crit rockets.

It's only when some soldier jumps off a roof and gets a crit out of nowhere and have done with me in one shot that bugs me the most; normally after i've just spawn and walked the length of the map, to go out like that. It's the circumstance, not the crit itself that pisses me off. i agree though, i don't think any shot (other than backstab or headshot) should kill in one hit. Even if it is a crit.

All classes get crits and besides this, engaging in melee because neither of "us" could take each other out with our primary or seconday weapons only for "them" to get a crit ruining a really decent piece of combat. It's such a poor way to go. But i only say that because i hardly ever get melee crits. On hydro i managed to get atleast 25 odd bat hits without a single crit in there. I hit a heavy 6 times only for him to turn and crit punch me in the face.

Enough whinging from me though.

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007

well..... i hate you!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
^ you never play soldier so hush!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I would be pretty happy if they upped rocket damage slightly and lowered crit rocket damage significantly.

i would agree completly

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Same here. I just noticed recently how little damage normal rockets do. It's just that in game, you always seem to be the victim of crit spam, while you can never kill anyone.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
also agreed, but theres nothing wrong with the amount of damage really, its the crit splash range that needs to be cut down a bit

The sensible thing would be to give a significant amount of damage for any direct hit, but alot less for splash damage, like the pyro's flamethrower used to be with its damage fall-off.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
normal rockets do about 120 damage. They will instant gib any 125 class which already has a tiny bit of damage.