Pyro update, bad or good?

How do you feel about the pyro update?

• Total voters

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
All the unlocks have been fantastic, they've just made a mistake in releasing them one class at a time.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
it's a very hard class too use, with updates or without them, it's hard. You think they are overpowered just because all servers are 70% Pyros, so you've been killed all the time by Pyros

I have to disagree. My opinion was formed from playing on a server with relatively few pyros, with myself as the only pyro on my team. With Pyro only being my 4th most played class, I can't say I'm the best with them, and tonight I found it extremely easy to kill lots and lots and lots of people. And this was on turbine, which has lots of large hallways and open spaces that should normally put the pyro at a slight disadvantage.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
it's a very hard class too use, with updates or without them, it's hard. You think they are overpowered just because all servers are 70% Pyros, so you've been killed all the time by Pyros. Just wait some weeks before saying it's overtweaked.

I never felt pyro was to under powered, i thought he fit in with his uses as for what role he is meant to fulfill. I was VERY good at pyro before.. because i played pyro how he was meant to be played.

You are right, its hard class to "LEARN" however once you learn how it should be played its a great class who needed some help, i feel most the update is a little "to much" though.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Sadly, I've been out of town and won't be able to play until tomorrow, but I'm thinking the backburner has to be overpowered.

Pyros have been played well for a long time without the air blast. And now you're giving them 100% crits when used from behind. When I play pyro, I love ambushing from behind, it always surprises people and while usually not killing them, at least annoyed and distracted them enough.

A crit flame kills someone in 2-3 seconds, right? So, basically, pyros can now sit around in a corner and just slaughter people coming through. 2fort sewers will never be the same.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong. I haven't played it yet.

But I do want to see the fun pyro vs. pyro fest that has to be going on.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You're exagerating, It doesn't make 100 over time. I've been playing as Scout, beeing burned tons of times without dieing.

And being burned tons of times as scout and surviving isn't over exagerating? Have you been watching people that only recieve damage from a single flare shot?

I watched a sniper take a flare shot on Gravel pit with about 90-100 of 125 hp. He died inches away from a dispenser; making the mistake to try and take a few pot shots before retreating. Haven taken a flare shot as a sniper personally i normally have about 45 hp by the time i get health back from the spawn resupply on 2fort, whilst still burning.

I'm not denying you could have taken several flares in a single life as scout, it is simply common practice and sensible tactics to seek out med kits, medics and water if you catch fire as a scout (well most classes actually, but as scout it's doubly important). I'm pretty sure that you're not blind but i wouldn't be surprised that whilst being submerged in the role of scout you were subconsciously unaware of your survival efferts in the heat of battle. Which i guess is a good thing for you, it means you're a good scout.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I <3 it. The new weapons are great. I haven't tested them out in proper gameplay yet, though, because every server is full of Pyros, and I don't wanna become one of them. I'll just wait until they're all gone (many of them will probably disappear over the weekend...I hope).

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
Pyro's are overpowered now :(
They really should release all the next classes in 1 update, not in 7

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
They aren't over powered, there are just too many of them. Once the farmers realise how lame they are and stop playing pyro because of the shiny new weapons pyro will be back to normal. This will happen for all the other classes, just wait

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I <3 it. The new weapons are great. I haven't tested them out in proper gameplay yet, though, because every server is full of Pyros, and I don't wanna become one of them. I'll just wait until they're all gone (many of them will probably disappear over the weekend...I hope).

I think steam released a 3 pyro limit per server for their free TF2 weekend to lesson the annoying effect of the pyro farmers on the people trying out the game for the first time. I thought it would have just been the server i was on being sensible. But i got flamed by like most of the server saying it was a VALVe thing.

I don't know if anyone can corroborate?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The colts playground server has a three pyro limit, meaning for the most part we're still getting good normal games, theres still too many pyros though, I'm not sure about any other servers when I looked on thursday there were servers with 9+ per team

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
I got kicked from a server with the "STEAM certificate verification error! 0/2048" or something along those lines and then when i got back in there was the 3 pyro limit. That would have been about 8 this morning i think.

Not sure why i was up that early playing TF2, but yea.. heh.

Tigger

L2: Junior Member
Mar 29, 2008
I've got a few problems with the update...

I'm a decent pyro, can normally hold my own against another pyro. Haven't got the extra weapons because I've been busy. And now I can't go toe to toe with a pyro who has the backburner. I die so fast it's not funny. Half a second I'm dead. Should not be that way for another pyro.

The backburner seems to have a much longer range now. All the old perching places are no longer safe from them.

And the backburner takes out sentries WAY too fast. And takes out the engie behind them too fast too. Places that used to be difficult for pyros to get sentries out of are just a cake walk for them now.

Haven't seen the other weapons being used yet. But so far I'm not a huge fan of this update, in spite of playing pyros.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
The backburner grants +50 hp. I'm not surprised you're having trouble taking these guys out, especially witht he crit chances if they get around behind you. I can only say keep at it and anticipate the enemy. Also.. play on a server that has people playing other classes, ie medics.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
heh...earlier today I took down 3 backburner pyros at once with the normal flame (non crit), im kinda on a mission to make the regular flame look better

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
The only thing I hate about the new weapon release is the plague that spreads across the servers. Can't play a game normally and we end up losing because everyone on the team wants to play pyro except for the reasonable few. Every game I played with, when it goes to sudden death, The team with the most pyros seems to lose than the team team with the mixed classes.

Same happened with Medic. Couldn't play a normal game for about a week or two after the release. So with this update I'm pulling out of the game for a while till things calm down.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I'm also starting to wonder why Valve decided to remove the reduction on self-damage for the soldier. This is not a change that I have seen improve my gameplay any, on either end of a rocket.

In all, I have to wonder if Valve shouldn't have spent another few weeks testing the changes in this patch. Maybe my sense of time is skewed, but I could have sworn they spent a lot longer testing the medic changes.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
they didnt spend longer testing the medic changes. The reason the medic one took so long is because they had to put in all the unlock system. For the pyro it was already there, so all valve had to do was add the weapons and achievements.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
I'm also starting to wonder why Valve decided to remove the reduction on self-damage for the soldier. This is not a change that I have seen improve my gameplay any, on either end of a rocket.

They did it because all the soldiers randomly shooting at their feet to kill near enemies.

I think it's ok, so you have the damage reduction when you rocketjump, but you don't have it if you shoot near.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
yeah, and personally...I applaud any nerfing of the soldier class

I got really tired of having a soldier shoot a crit rocket at his feet, kill me and come out of it perfectly fine