Possibly new hammer editor?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
It'll be interesting to see TF2 ported because of the lack of support for BSP in the new engine. It can probably still run it, but hammer has no support for making bsp (unless the meshes compile into bsp? I can't tell)

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I'm not sure why they'd attempt a straight port, even though the new tools have a vmf import it's still probably going to require a lot of rebuilding to get everything working the right way. I imagine materials would need a lot of work, the game has hundreds of vmt's. I'd guess models are a fairly easy recompile, but there's also hundreds of those.

I guess my thinking is if they're going to burn all that energy, why not just make a TF3 or TF2.5? Delete the crux, keep the stuff people love, and give it a fresh start.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
There's no way in hell that Source 2 won't support bsp and vis. At the very least, L4D3 would be easiest to make with them still around in some form. My bet is that we're going to get versions of hammer that are geared towards the game they're working on. Dota 2 doesn't use vis, so it's easier without bsp.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
I imagine materials would need a lot of work, the game has hundreds of vmt's. I'd guess models are a fairly easy recompile, but there's also hundreds of those.

just want to point out that it's really easy for any competent programmer (which I heard Valve has plenty) to automate porting of assets, vmts being the easiest by a large margin (hell someone who has been doing java for a couple weeks could do it)

don't assume that these things are difficult or time consuming because of our sub-optimal low level modding tools. am just sayin

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I took recorded/took them myself. The alpha of the workshop tools are out, you can download them from the tools menu of steam. Except they're 5.5gb so have fun with that.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
I'm not sure why they'd attempt a straight port, even though the new tools have a vmf import it's still probably going to require a lot of rebuilding to get everything working the right way. I imagine materials would need a lot of work, the game has hundreds of vmt's. I'd guess models are a fairly easy recompile, but there's also hundreds of those.

I guess my thinking is if they're going to burn all that energy, why not just make a TF3 or TF2.5? Delete the crux, keep the stuff people love, and give it a fresh start.

hundreds, thousands, even millions are just a matter of a correctly written python script :p

Bludeck

L1: Registered
Mar 7, 2014
At the moment the tools require a 64-bit version of Windows and a Direct3D 11 compatible GPU.
49427-2-1388631865.jpg

I hate my toaster.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yes, the snips I've seen so far show some pretty significant changes. Here's an example of a vmat file, which is the replacement for vmt:

http://pastebin.com/681iYC4w

There's definitely some similarities taken from vmt files, but all the variable names and parameters have changed.

Ooh, layers with separate shaders. I wonder if this "layer" system is how they're going to handle overlays in the future, so that they don't have to float .1 HU above the surface anymore.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Ooh, layers with separate shaders. I wonder if this "layer" system is how they're going to handle overlays in the future, so that they don't have to float .1 HU above the surface anymore.

cool and useless fact time! : it's not even 0.1 HU or any other fixed amount. The distance between overlays and surfaces depends on your proximity to the overlay, strangely enough

droppin tah knowledge bomb of useless information

Last edited:

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
Yeah, it's decals that hover a set distance. That's why overlays are better.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Either way, it causes visible cuts on overlays that try to wrap around "curves", so I'm hoping they stop doing it that way.

Also, I want overlays to be able to inherit the bump mapping of the surface they're on, for stuff like paint patches or graffiti. Technically that should be possible already, since they already inherit the lightmaps, but no default shader is set up to do it. They faked it in Portal 2 using additive blending, for some reason, and you can tell whenever you throw gel on top.