CP Pollution

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think you may need a new texture though. Glowing radioactive waste makes more sense for an indoor environment; it looks weird out in broad daylight. At the very least, modify the material so that it's no longer scrolling, since that's going to look very weird where it meets up with the clean water.

Svedash

L1: Registered
Jun 11, 2014
Or make it dark purple with some iridescent reflections, it would be less eye-scorching yet still look toxic/oozy.
The map is pretty, but the fluorescent green really eats the whole visual field.

Last edited:

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
Map updated to A5

Code:
A5:
*New skybox + horrible lighting!
*Changed the toxic sludge to another toxic sludge. In the near future, I'm probably going make a purple-ish sludge texture, since I've have not been satisfied with any of the sludge textures yet.
*Reduced the damage from the sludge from 20 per second, to 10 per second.
*Widened the area outside Blu spawn a bit, and added a little balcony.
*The staircase beside the choke after first cp, gives Blu a little height advantage. This will hopefully encourage more people to use the sludge.
*Remade Red teams holding spot at last cp, since the house in the previous version didn't play out as i hoped. 
*Lengthened Blu teams house/holding spot at the last cp, to encourage more usage of the house. 
Opened op the area outside Reds second spawndoor, since previous versions felt too enclosed.
*Refined fun.
*Probably alot of other changes i forgot.

I'm not really happy with either Red's or Blu's house at the last point. Red's house is just plain bad, since there are so many long sightlines into it, and it just doesn't seem useful at all.
When it comes to Blu's house, I'm kinda considering removing the staircase from Reds side, an maybe join it together with the connecter with a walkway, to make it a more effective holding spot for Blu. But I still want to leave a opportunity for Red, to defend and win back the house.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
The sludge is a lot more tolerable to look at. Still needs some color/translucency tweaking, but it's a lot better than it used to be.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
t0BZWr7.jpg

Kfdwf8d.jpg

My not-so-succesfull journey into the realm of custom textures.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
Yeah, that have been a problem for a long time now. The red house at right side of B (from red's perspective) where meant as some kind of defence position, and so was the gray house on the left, but they're hardly used (or useful).
I think I might just remake the entire point B, since I'ts openess and long sightlines makes it hard to create any good holding spots for red. But I want to test this version again before I change too much.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
New version is out.
Here are the changes:
Code:
[LIST]
[*]Changed green toxic sludge to purple toxic sludge. I believe it is a little less harsh to look at, while still maintaining the toxic look.
[*]The sludge's damagetype is now Club. So instead of the damage being silent, the player can now enjoy the painfull screams of their choosen characther.  
[*]Changed the Balcony at 1nd cp into a small shack, to provide better cover for defenders and improve attackers flanking abilities.
[*]Redid the entire last. This includes:
[*]The area around 2nd wraps around a building in the middle, in ordre to break sightlines, and allow for holding areas for both teams.
[*]Added a large rock beside the point itself to create cover, remove sightlines and just allow players to utilise it as a highground advantage, for bombing the point. Also increases the viability of the lower sewer route, and creates cover for people flanking using the toxic sludge.
[*]Added a slight bend to the sewer, so players using it a more protected from major defending areas.
[*]Lowered and clipped the point's platform and it's bridges to improve mobility (in exchange for the damage-over-time from the sludge). 
[*]Gave Red a route directly to the the 1st point, which closes after 1st is capped, and which goes through multiple defensive locations. This will hopefully improve red players understanding of the enverioment, and key positions to hold or gain.
[*] lots of other small fun changes

[*]Improved fun.
[/LIST]

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
So here are a few thoughts on what I kinda plan to change in the next version:

So one of the major problems was the strong sentry spot at last, which were way too hard to counter other than using an über. While I'm okay with the sentry spot, it covers way too much ground, including the flank routes, which means cutting the reinforcements off to the sentry is near impossible. This results in some very stale gameplay, where it feels like your only have a chance by using the ”pile on the point methode” and hope someone survives long enough to cap the point.

wPH6Aak.jpg

I'm planning on expanding the exit area for the sludge route, so flanking players can stay out of the sentries range, and take them out from a safe distance/cut off reinforcements.

fb0OfdI.jpg

When someone first mentioned that I should expand this area and add pickups on it I doubted it would be an good idea, but in retrospect it might not be a bad idea. Expanding this area and adding pickups allows soldiers and demoes to peak around the rock and attack the sentry, with the small pickups aiding them to sustain sentry fire and spam.

4yYlKMK.jpg

Adding a smaller balcony here gives Blu another angle to attack from, if someone has set up a sentry on the house's balcony. Beside that, I'm planning to expand the smaller house a bit, and move it a bit further away from the point, to make space for the expansion of the rock.

A interesting change I have been thinking a bit about, was to remove the smaller house completely, and create a larger flank route on the left side (from reds perspective) of the larger house. That would make the map feel kind of more uniqe, as many A/D cp maps have the ”final cp in the middle of a defensive highground” feel to it.

v1COGkh.jpg

Another change I have been working on, was buffing the flank staircase behind 1st a bit, and giving it some ”transparent cover” (in this case fences), so flanking players have a chance to see the locations of enemy players, before engaging in combat. Also, a little rock arch with a small healthpack has been added, aiding players who fall of the cliff, and giving them a chance to get back into combat/flee at the cost of time.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Can you change the water to a dark green, it really better reminds me of radioactivity, but isn't an eyesore like the lime-green toxic water in the earlier versions.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
A NEW and EXCITING version of pollution is available. The missing underwater texture should be fixed in this version.

A7:
  • increased the height of the flanking staircase a bit, and gave it some cover, to increase it's viability and give flanking players a change to see enemy/sentry locations.
  • Added a stone arch beneath the 1st cp, so wounded players have a better chance to escape from the sludge.
  • Increased the height of the window near the choke before 2nd point, so i acts like a one way dropdown.
  • Added extra healthpacks for BLU at the choke before the 2nd cp.
  • Increased the size of the sludge flanking route under the large house at 2nd.
  • remade the other house at 2nd, so there is more room to fight in.
  • Resized the rock at 2nd so it's easier to utilise it as a soldier/demo/scout.
  • Some other minor changes.
  • More fun added.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
GET HYPED for the new version of cp_pollution! Not only is the water texture fixed, the "error on a string" is fixed too.

This version tries to fix the two main problems I feel this map has: Lacking attack options at the 2nd cp and a problematic choke that's very hard to push through, if RED team regains the control of it.

(Screenshots is not updated)
A8
  • Reduced the respawntime for BLU and extended spawntime for RED, after BLU team has capped 1st cp. This will hopefully prevent RED team from pushing past the chokes between 1st and 2nd cp.
  • Gave BLU team a shortcut, that passes the 1st point, and improves their ability to break through the chokes before 2nd, by giving them a better position.
  • Added an additional flank route at 2nd, so BLU team has a easier time dealing with sentries.
  • Smoothed out the displacement steps at the sludgeflank to improve mobility and avoid eternal frustration from players.
  • Added a platform to the rock at the 2nd point, so all classes can access it. This can potentially create some interesting gameplay options for BLU team.
  • nobuilded the roof overlooking the right route (from BLU's perspective), since it was a unfair sentryspot.
  • Added a hole in the window overlooking the 2nd cp.
  • Extended fun.
  • Ran out of space.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
New version of pollution released!

The major change in this version is the choke between cp1 and cp2. Moving between the different routes to last should be easier, and the choke has been shortened to avoid the teams spreading out too much. Moreover I have made it easier for BLU team to access the catwalk overlooking cp2, while it should be harder for RED team to access it. Thereby should it now be easier for BLU team to hold the chokes.

Also the sludge now sets you on fire upon leaving it.

(Screenshots is now updated)
A9
  • Messed around with the choke a bit.
  • brightened up the map a little.
  • Sludge ignites the player upon leaving it. This should prevent bunnyhopping and scouts barely touching the sludge. There's always a small healthkit nearby to extinguish the player, but the sludge still posses a greater risk than before.
  • Lowered the damage per second to 8 for the sludge.
  • Remade the route flanking the large house at cp2. The added shutterdoor improves ability for surprise attacks, but in exchange blocks vision.
  • Decreased the amount of ammopacks around the map.
  • Other stuff i properly have forgotten.
  • Fun remains unchanged.

Spipper

aa
Feb 18, 2012
Version a10a of cp_pollution is now up.

So, with a9 it seemed like I reached the goals I had with that version (I wanted to make it easier for Blu team to switch between the routes, and more difficult for Red team to push through the choke).

Attacking cp2 is still not a fun experience though, since the point feels like a spambowl, and there isn't really any kind of coordinated push. I decided to add a small rock between the two wooden bridges that leads to the point, to make it more attractive to push from the main route, and to make it less dangerous to approach the point. This also gives some fun jumping routes for scouts to utilise. Moreover the smaller house on the right (from reds perspective) have been modified a bit, so Red team can use it more offensivly rather than defensively, while the house on the left side have been buffed a bit, so it's more important to hold for Red team, in order to keep the cp2. The small route flanking the house might be a bit too much, since it's a bit hard to keep an eye on it, while defending the point from the house.

Also, thanks to whoever decided to test pollution in an impromtou. I appreciate that very much.

BTW, do anybody know if it's possible to apply a "bleeding" condition to players for a specific amount of time? It doesn't seem to work with "trigger_add_tf_player_condition", and it would probably be a way better alternative to setting people on fire whenever they leave the sludge.

A10a
  • Modified the houses a bit on both sides of the point.
  • Added a rock between the the two boardwalks that leads to the point.
  • Expanded Red spawn a bit.
  • Removed the two resupply lockers closest to the setup gates.
  • Some other minor changes.
  • Removed fun.

Last edited: