pl_waste

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
that's entirely possible, but I want to avoid it if I can. I want to make it as simple as possible.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
This maps turning out really nice. Glad I got a chance to play it this week.

Opening up the sewer probably was a good idea since the stairs on each side access a different side of canal.

Last time I played I was on the losing team and we kept losing bad. So being on the winning team and pushing into the other base was fun.

But the server was lagging bad. :(

The only weird thing I noticed was coming out of red spawn (very back) looking up through the windows into skybox where you can see the smokestacks. One of the smokestacks must be overlapping the world area because it tends to 'float' across the sky.

Looking foward to play time on this one.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I wasn't very impressed the first time I played it - but it's improved a lot. I like it so much better now. Too bad there was some horrible lag on the server when we played it, I didn't get to do a lot other than running around.

Some of your doors - at least the one in RED's first forward spawn - were a bit too slow, so I had to stand still for a second or so before they opened. Maybe you should extend the trigger_multiple.

tenaciousg

L1: Registered
Jan 8, 2008
it was unique, to say the least. 1 of my only complaints would be that if the cart didnt do a 180 and was traveling backwards, if you got ontop of it.. the back can act as a shield protecting you from bullets.. etc.. i still think this map would be nicer if it were cp, and a little bigger if it were.

very nice looking map though.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
1 of my only complaints would be that if the cart didnt do a 180 and was traveling backwards, if you got ontop of it..

I don't believe there's anything I can do about it.

IIRC Valve payloads do it as well, albeit more rare.

Last edited:

raz0rskyl1n3

L1: Registered
Oct 21, 2008
I just realized i forgot to provide feedback after playtesting it :).

We played on a 16 man server 8 vs 8.

We shuffled the teams several times. What we found is that it was really hard to push back. I think it was twice that one team was able to pretty much reverse the initial momentum this was out of 10 rounds.

The next issue i noted is that once the opposing team is near the last point is almost impossible to stop them. Even with sentries set up in various positions on the last point. It was still pretty easy to finish it off.

Alot of people also said they were confused about the spawn rooms. I like the bomb dropping in spawn room however the spawn room needs some serious work. Not buggy its location is just problematic.

Ammo and health placements seemed rather good. The map overall seems well balanced, just may be some problems with core gameplay. I.E. you strap four heavies to the cart it is really hard to stop them :).

There were problems with doors. As stated slow moving in instaces. The other thing i noted is I spawned in a forward spawn room. As i spawned the cart was pushed back by the opposing team. Such that our team was pushed back to the first spawn. I was unable to leave the spawn. The door would not open. Pretty sure this was the second spawn.

Over all good job :).

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
One of my players spotted this:

The problem was that one team reversed the cart just as it was about to tip over and fall into the final CP. They managed to stop it from reaching the final CP, but it was stuck there and just couldn't be pushed the other way anymore.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
We shuffled the teams several times. What we found is that it was really hard to push back. I think it was twice that one team was able to pretty much reverse the initial momentum this was out of 10 rounds.
Interesting. Gameday last weekend showed that it was too difficult to push forward. Perhaps this was due to the massive difference in population. I am hoping Making the cart go faster will help, as it makes both gaining and regaining ground easier.

The next issue i noted is that once the opposing team is near the last point is almost impossible to stop them. Even with sentries set up in various positions on the last point. It was still pretty easy to finish it off.
I wanted it to be easy, just like Granary and Well. Stalemates are more common in many custom maps I've seen and that is one of the main things I want to avoid. Unlike standard 5CP, I cannot make the last cap a fast cap, as the payload moves at a set speed. I try to design the last point to be as difficult to turtle as possible. If you find it too hard to regain the factory, I can make further changes to help defenders.

Alot of people also said they were confused about the spawn rooms. I like the bomb dropping in spawn room however the spawn room needs some serious work. Not buggy its location is just problematic.
Hmmm.. this point is becoming controversial, it seems. It shouldn't be a problem with most players, but If I get more complaints, I will simplify the spawn room.

There were problems with doors. As stated slow moving in instaces. The other thing i noted is I spawned in a forward spawn room. As i spawned the cart was pushed back by the opposing team. Such that our team was pushed back to the first spawn. I was unable to leave the spawn. The door would not open. Pretty sure this was the second spawn.
Sounds like a broken trigger to me. I'll look into it, thanks.

The problem was that one team reversed the cart just as it was about to tip over and fall into the final CP. They managed to stop it from reaching the final CP, but it was stuck there and just couldn't be pushed the other way anymore.
I've just discovered that myself last night on a solo test. :D

Thank you all for your help! I REALLY appreciate it. A LOT. I'll work my best to release a high-quality map.

Scotland Tom

Jan 19, 2008
Icarus, Waste has made it onto my top 3 list of promising upcoming customs for the second month in a row. I've decided to make the "Promising Upcoming Customs" a monthly blog entry and the work you've put into Waste has only made me more anxious for its release. Between the highly intriguing change on payload gameplay and the fact that the map visually is looking excellent there was no way I could keep from mentioning it.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Because of how Observatory was laid out, I don't have any experience in making 3d skyboxes. But DAMN it adds so much! Red Shed looks so much more badass now.
pl_waste_a60016.jpg

And BLU Industries looks totally disgusting (in the good way!)
pl_waste_a60017.jpg

Dustoxx

Jan 9, 2009
Nice!
Does the smoke needs to be so visable?
Because the buildings are less visable..

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Nice!
Does the smoke needs to be so visable?
Because the buildings are less visable..

I think that's just an inherent flaw with the source engine...the fog obscures the buildings but leaves the smog to be rendered as though there wasn't fog...

is there a way to fix that?

Aug 19, 2008
wow, that skybox looks quite unhealthy, yet great :)
and yeah, the smoke is too present, but i think you cant do a thing about that

hm, maybe you could adjust the smokes color to match more the color of the skybox, so it looks more like it is in the background?

Feb 14, 2008
I protest to the hazard lines in the middle, they look out of place. I'd say replace them with standard hazard lines.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
As far as I know there is no reliable way to change the color of particle systems. What I could do instead is reduce the level of fog in the area so it doesn't stand out as much.

I protest to the hazard lines in the middle, they look out of place. I'd say replace them with standard hazard lines.

Sure!

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Actually, further input. Your stairs out of spawn are too reflective and large. Make them smaller and more simply textured, I think that'd probably look better.

I've actually remade the whole spawn. I wasn't finished detailing the spytech parts anyways, they were rushed so I could playtest earlier.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Alpha 6 Released! This should be the final release before I go public and release a Beta! Check the OP for screenshots.
Download from TF2Maps (50MB uncompressed)
pl_waste_6.jpg

The purpose of this update was to test if a faster cart improves gameplay flow.

Change log for A6:
-Added a few more pickups
-Added color correction effects
-Added soundscapes
-Added Cubemaps
-Finished detailing final areas of the map
-Added skybox
-Remade spawn rooms
-Increased cart speed by 1.5x

Last edited: