Particle, Commentary, and Materials Editors Released

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah but the germans only get the funky gib replacements and no blood, they probably thought it was so comical that they added confetti and balloons in particle effect and called it birthday mode, its awesome.

Its not really what we're doing here, but the balloons and confetti are a particle effect, which is what we're doing. The gibs is something else though.

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
I made a custom particle effect for my map, I packed it in with the bsp, but TF2 can find it when it loads the map.

Anyone else has this problem?

I mayb just include it with the zip file.

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
I found out what was wrong, pakrat didn't automatically fix the pathnames, like it usually does with models and materials.

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
I found out what was wrong, pakrat didn't automatically fix the pathnames, like it usually does with models and materials.

That didn't solve the problem either.

TF2 either can't find the particle_manifest.txt I included with the bsp, or the particle files themselves.

Has any one tried packing any particle stuff with their map, what happend?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Resurrecting this thread:

particles_manifest_<exact map name>.txt
particles_<exact map name>.txt
particles_<exact map name>_manifet.txt
<exact map name>_particles_manifest.txt
<exact map name>_manifest.txt
<exact map name>.txt

None of these work, has anyone found one that does?

We HAVE to find one that is map specific so that we don't end up barring all new particles valve maps after our map is released.

Has anyone figured this out yet?

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
Resurrecting this thread:

Has anyone figured this out yet?

I sent the valve guy (the one that wrote the guide in the VDC) an email about the particle files and packing them along with the map, I didn't really mention this aspect, but when he replies I will.

It's important though, we really can't have our particle_manifests overriding the default ones.

Ideally what I'd like to see it that particle_manifests add to each other, i.e the lines in say one we wrote would be appended to the default one that comes with TF2, or something like that.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I've also emailed mike durand about it. hopefully they'll have got enough emails about it to actually do something

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
They posted this on the discussion page

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category_talk:Particle_System

I've made a custom particle file for my TF2 map. But even when the particle files and the modified particle_manifest.txt are in the bsp file, TF2 still can't find the particle files when it loads the map. I'm guessing that TF2 doesn't look in the bsp for either the particle files or the particle_manifest.txt. --Spacemonkey 18:23, 3 Jul 2008 (PDT)

That's right, it can't be done. We've asked Mike to look into getting rid of the manifest file and simply scanning all PCFs in the particles folder, which will help alleviate this. --TomEdwards 00:54, 4 Jul 2008 (PDT)

That hopefully should make things easier, won't have to worry about conflicting manifest files

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Time for an ultrabump

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707777

Tony Sergi said:
I actually wrote some code for this, to load per-map manifests.
eta unknown ;)

Tony Sergi said:
just like soundscapes, except it would go in the particles folder like the other manifest.

ie: particles_mapname.txt
and then you just place the pcf's you've made in there.

So you make a particles manifest file and add in only your new ones in and then pakrat it in :D The fact hes working on it calls for some small celebration

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
Yay, celebration

Finally others can see my explosion, instead of being killed by an invisible nothing of Death!

How is the explosion coming along for hoodoo?

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
just like soundscapes, except it would go in the particles folder like the other manifest.

ie: particles_mapname.txt
and then you just place the pcf's you've made in there.

Do you think it would be a safe bet to include this file already with a map, so when the game is updated, it will automatically work?

Certainly there's nothing to lose by doing so.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I've done that and will continue to do that for all new maps I publish