Dec 20, 2007
oh please oh please oh please Roden make the Q3A rail gun for the sniper

*begs*

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
hey not bad.

I've worked out parents/children kinda this evening and also making your own, you have to bung the file name into the particles_manifest text file in the tf/particles folder before it will work.

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
Youme go get an avatar on FP and fix your smartness. (More toolbar at the top) It makes you look like a noob.

Either that or there's a spy amongst us.

Also has anyone seen the Aragon from GMDM? (Or whatever the physcannon type gun is), I wanna see that for the rocket. In green.

It's basically a green core (Like you have replaced the soldiers rocket with) and then single beam around it that spirals around, instead of rings.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
no idea what smartness is, I really hate facepunch so I havent bothered avataring up yet.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Smartness is the red number under your username. Dings you for going missing ' and such. (Words are highlighted in red.)

Also the default avatar makes you stand out even more as a noob, but whateve.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
particles_manifest_<exact map name>.txt
particles_<exact map name>.txt
particles_<exact map name>_manifet.txt
<exact map name>_particles_manifest.txt
<exact map name>_manifest.txt
<exact map name>.txt

None of these work, has anyone found one that does?

We HAVE to find one that is map specific so that we don't end up barring all new particles valve maps after our map is released.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
That's valve for ya. Hopefully we'll get the option to "Rebuild Manifest File" too so we don't have to add them by hand. (Like you do with Faceposer Scenes)

Could pakrat your particles/particle_manifest.txt to get your own in there, but that would override users. Valve.

Also thanks for changing your avatar and fixing your smartness.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Having only two digits there makes me feel very small again. Especially as yours is over 600 times mine, Doesn't quite make sense to me, that can't be your post count or FP would need thousands upon thousands of TB of memory to store all the posts made..
(I'm assuming the users with BAN on their avatar are banned?)

The nose picking thing is very much "hello I'm a n00b" isn't it, just another reason I don't like FP.....

Well anyway I had a problem last night when I was adding effects into one of the existing pcf files, it corrupted it and removed all of the effects from it, I think it's safest to add new pcf files for all effects, even though using an existing one would negate the need to put stuff in the manifest file.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
I've been there since 06, and I used to post like 20-30 a day. Now i'm only down to ~12 a day. And I dunno why they put in the nose picking thing. An yeah the BAN are banned guys, and you can see the reason the mod gave, etc.

Whoo crashed TF2 while playing with particles. Also... What's the Q3 railgun's beam look like?

There is no trail for the sniper bullet (or bullet) as far as I know. This means no Q3A trails. :(

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
How about modding the dot? set a control point to the player and then draw a line between it and the dot

Also, all your links are dud

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Imageshack's probably down.

Also I think the dot is just a sprite. :(

Edit:
Yeah it is.

pl_goldrush0007.jpg

pl_goldrush0008.jpg

pl_goldrush0009.jpg

pl_goldrush0010.jpg

pl_goldrush0011.jpg

Quiet chaotic in the middle of a battle.

Last edited:

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
So, can these be changed server side (everyone on a server sees them), or client side (only a player sees them).

Changing stuff Server side would be pretty cool, however if a client can change stuff then go play on a public server, he could change stuff like making enemy spy trails realy obvious, it could led to exploits.

Still sounds like lots of fun.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Clientside only.

Unless you bsp zip them into the map, or the server can force you to download the pcfs. (Also they'd stay until deleted)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I've been on a couple servers recently where they've had tiny presents and confetti disperse from explosions..

Someones birthday? :p

EDIT: i just noticed.. those images.. payload dustbowl?

Last edited:

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
Yeah called dbheights, sucks really.

tf_birthday, enables Birthday mode.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm guessing the birthday mode is somewhat the basics of what you're working with here?

I suppose maybe someone could mod there own "modes". I'm guessing that's what these custom servers are all about? I'm not sure, i've never played on one.

EDIT: The mention of the rail gun reminds me of the engineer pistol. It did moderate damage with incredibly slow rate of fire, but it pushed people around a lot, it was great for disrupting snipers from a distance.