The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Can't you just send outputs from the path_tracks? D:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Nah, it should keep the momentum it gained right? If the pt's keep updating the speed as it passes over them the fall distance wouldnt matter.

it also becomes very cumbersome to edit the output values since you'd have to change every one of them manually.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
So I said I would have a new version of this done monday-ish, LAST week.
I screwed that up pretty badly, sorry about that.

Reason is I can't for the life of me replicate that bug that occured on gameday. Where Red cart wouldn't roll down nor be able to capture the point in stage 3.
I hate releasing when I know there is something broken, but now I've tried everything I know. I'm seriously at a loss for what to do now.

I've played a7 a number of times now and it has only happened on that one gameday round, and it's hard to find what caused it with only 1 instance of it happening.
I might release a new version and just hope it happends again sometime in the future (more data).

Well, that's the reason I'm taking so long right now. I just wanted to post this for all the people to whom I promised a release :S

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Nope. I don't care. You promised me! I hate you!

In all seriousness, it's okay. As long as there's no need to panic IRL about plr_panic, and as long as there's things to panic about in-game while playing plr_panic, I will be okay and I won't panic. (Read as: Explosions, Rolling Carts, etc.)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Oh boohoo Ravidge. You should try reducing waterindices. Sometimes that can be even more frustrating. :p

In all seriousness, just release a new version. It could just be some incredibly rare bug like being able to get the bombcart in Goldrush off the tracks by firing something explosive at it the exact second it gets detached from the track.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
So I said I would have a new version of this done monday-ish, LAST week.
I screwed that up pretty badly, sorry about that.

Reason is I can't for the life of me replicate that bug that occured on gameday. Where Red cart wouldn't roll down nor be able to capture the point in stage 3.
I hate releasing when I know there is something broken, but now I've tried everything I know. I'm seriously at a loss for what to do now.

I've played a7 a number of times now and it has only happened on that one gameday round, and it's hard to find what caused it with only 1 instance of it happening.
I might release a new version and just hope it happends again sometime in the future (more data).

Well, that's the reason I'm taking so long right now. I just wanted to post this for all the people to whom I promised a release :S

IIRC certain objects act differently on dedicated servers rather than local servers. Just try running the map from a dedicated server off your computer and see if you can replicate it.

GeneralDisorder

L1: Registered
Sep 24, 2009
Is it just me or is every map using that big energy wheel prop? :p

Great looking map, too bad i missed gameday (If it was on there that is :rolleyes:)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Just like always, I found a way to replicate the bug just after saying it was impossible...
Well, I guess that's a good thing actually.

Problem is I can't find the source of it even now, So I've decided to rebuild the entire entity system from scratch (from boojums gametype lib actually), Not only does this give me a chance to understand where all my outputs are going, it helps me build an understandable structure this time around.

Bottom line is: No new version just yet, but hopefully it will work properly once released!
I wish I had some pictures to go with this post, but everything is half-finished which doesn't make for any good images, sadly.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I got bored and released a8.

Hooray...

Changelog:
Fixed bug where overtime in stage 2 would cause carts to not behave as intended in stage 3.
Decreased cart speed in stage 3 by 20% (roughly). Both carts, both directions.
More detailing in stage 2
Added lights in stage 1 and 2 where new detail buildings would cast shadows.
Slightly brighter environment light.
Added some small covers around stage 3, to cut the major sniperlines (It's still a sniperstage, but I'm aware of the issue)

Download as usual: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1631 (zip)
or: http://213.115.191.55/~ravidge/tf/maps/plr_panic_a8.bsp.bz2 (bz2)

No new images. I'm sorry :(
Remaking all logic took longer than I expected. it's sad that the major work in this update is invisible.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
You need to change the trigger on the bottom exit from spawns on Stage 1 so it opens/closes OnStartTouchAll and OnEndTouchAll. :)

dr_digital2

L1: Registered
Apr 23, 2009
OMG how come no ones commented on the ray gun made out of the Nucelous props. ITs so bad ass! Very creative and awesome

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
OMG how come no ones commented on the ray gun made out of the Nucelous props. ITs so bad ass! Very creative and awesome

Either:
1) You didn't read the thread.
2) You are being sarcastic.

Not that it matters, I found your comment hilarious no matter which way I look at it :p

Oh and, Thanks! Hehe, I'm planning some nice particle effects for it, But don't expect anything soon, I'm terrible at making them (and I dont particulary enjoy making them either).

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Hey, maybe you can ask someone thats good at making those particles, to make one for you :D Like me ;)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I played this map for a little while, and I found it a little bland and dark. There needs to be something bright to stand out.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Hey, maybe you can ask someone thats good at making those particles, to make one for you :D Like me ;)

I have a philosophy of always trying to work it out myself before asking for help. I'll be sure to send you a PM if I give up. Thanks for the offer!

I played this map for a little while, and I found it a little bland and dark. There needs to be something bright to stand out.

This is a fair point. Obviously I did my best when making it so I'm not sure where to improve, a few suggestions would help a lot!
I've been thinking about brightening up the spawnrooms by a noticable amount, to make a contrast to the outside. Think this could help?

However, I will counter your claim of it being dark. It should be lit enough in general, if there's any problems with specific spots I'd love to hear about it. But overall I'm quite happy with the current brightness level.

-----

I'm soon finished with stage 2 detailing (give it a few more days). This means I MIGHT (extremely uncertain) be able to detail stage 3 before the contest deadline.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Good to hear. :)

I played A8 the other night and the light ambient brightness seemed fine to me compared to how it was before.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
BTW What ever happened to the blade idea when you first started the map?

080906-trashcan.jpg

It went into my special bin for "ideas that are horrid, and possibly stupid" (pictured above)

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Gameday bump

Stage 3 seemed to be more fun with the new, slower carts.
Thoughts on the map so far? Now is the time to speak up if you dislike something, the deadline is coming up and I'm not going to make last minute changes.