Outback

Outback rc4

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Played it today and LOVED it, its a great map definitely one of m favorite pl maps in progress at the moment. It is a little sniper friendly in some parts but overall plays very nicely.

Im not asking you to change the name but i think you could come up with something better. Either way great map Keep it up.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Played it today and LOVED it, its a great map definitely one of m favorite pl maps in progress at the moment. It is a little sniper friendly in some parts but overall plays very nicely.

Im not asking you to change the name but i think you could come up with something better. Either way great map Keep it up.

Im aware that my map is a bit sniper friendly, Im doing some big changes in b7 and making the map a lot smaller.

3Suns

L1: Registered
Jul 11, 2009
henry, would you mind posting a link for the server when it is being served. I definitely want to try this.

Before I even play test it, however, I want to make these observations (having just come across this thread and knowledge of your map today).

1. I think it is fantastic that you are basing the map on the Meet the Sniper video - even if only through utilizing parts of the setting.

2. I am just going by the screenshots right now, but I LOVE the openness - if you feel you need to tighten it up a bit for gameplay sake, do so. Gameplay comes first. That is all I will say right now (I'm gonna make a general post in a different thread touching on these two issues).

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Im aware that my map is a bit sniper friendly, Im doing some big changes in b7 and making the map a lot smaller.

ok that sounds great i cant wait to play it. The sniper isnt a huge problem but a few spots can get very annoying, As for the smaller part, maybe its necessarily to make it smaller as i have only played it once, but i really enjoy the openness of the map so i hope you can make that stay if it doesn't sacrifice game play

all in all great work keep it up

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Have you put any things saying "PRJ sucks" in it yet? We're waiting.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
henry, would you mind posting a link for the server when it is being served. I definitely want to try this.

Before I even play test it, however, I want to make these observations (having just come across this thread and knowledge of your map today).

1. I think it is fantastic that you are basing the map on the Meet the Sniper video - even if only through utilizing parts of the setting.

2. I am just going by the screenshots right now, but I LOVE the openness - if you feel you need to tighten it up a bit for gameplay sake, do so. Gameplay comes first. That is all I will say right now (I'm gonna make a general post in a different thread touching on these two issues).

So far I have see like 6-8 servers running my map, No Heroes was running my map a few minutes ago, but this is the server that I always play in and we have railroad on the map list rotation.

8.9.15.107:27015

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Indeed. This map was really nice on gameday. Although i think i only played as offence, then got switched to offence again by autobalance? Or maybe i left early.. sorry it took me too long to find this thread (2 days) and my memory only spans 12 hours.

The teams might have been stacked but it seemed pretty easy for us blu's to assault. We had the cart pretty much constantly rolling, although i was on a hot streak whilst standing on the cart. I would probably put this down to the wideness of each area. Player's arn't funnelled into choke points so much, so engineers had to pick cunning corners to hide behind. A side focus on mobile defence was a refreshing experience.

A lot of help i am with feedback on this map.. i left the server to come comment in this thread and i can remember bugger all that i wanted to say.

Although:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2gwztye.jpg

This image you have those random steps on that raised platform. They go right down to the ground. It seems.. random.. and needless. Other than for making the area look more diverse/interesting. It might look more natural if you had say 4-6 steps down, so you have more space to put a door in on the wall.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Alright, many people are saying that the first part of the map is too open and its sniper friendly so I have been working on making it smaller. So far this is what I have done. Tell me what you guys think of it.

2uxxuh2.jpg

egvi15.jpg

2djp7d0.jpg

b6yd6e.jpg

675q8m.jpg

20fooqt.jpg

2qvs39t.jpg

Cinnamon Whirl

May 9, 2008
Ok, I played this on gameday. Thought I'd comment:
Like Grazr, i got two goes on offense, one defence. I think Blu won each round, though my last play though on Red we held them quite well for a while. Overall very good, and fun!

so... hmmm.

First part was very open, so changes above are welcome.

My problem wasn't snipers, but the lack of decent SG places. This continued for most of the map: getting a gun up somewhere it could be shot by sollys and snipes was trouble.

We held near red spawn 2 for a while, but even there, the many paths for blu to take limited gun effectiveness, and once Blu got several ppl on the cart, there was no stopping them. I don't know if you play as engi much, but you should give it a try, then think about putting a few SG hideyholes in. Add ammo nearby to encourage SG placement, with disp and teles. This creates a good rallying spot for red to launch attacks from.

Hope that helps a bit!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Add in a prop dynamic using the sentry model (models/buildables/sentry3.mdl), with a fade distance of 1100 (which is the sight range of an SG) and you will be able to see how effectively an SG might perform in a given area/position. As you can now see how far it can shoot people from by selecting it and observing the wireframe representation of the fade limit, and if it can be outranged.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
I decided to make another door in that blue building so engis can go up there and build sentries.

2wnv98k.jpg

16iedqf.jpg

I also decided to not let players into this red building because not many people use this building anyway.

1231mcn.jpg

30bg4mq.jpg

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
I was thinking of changing the name of the map since many people keep saying that, how about pl_winnebago (thats what the sniper drives).

runtime

Jul 4, 2009
I do think railroad is a pretty boring name....pl_winnebago isnt bad, that could work. I would wait for the final release to rename it, though

I still think there are some big spots in this map where you could cut down the playing area.

Notice how most of the popular maps may be big, but they feel small and the actual area where you fight is pretty small. Badwater is big, but most people fight only in a certain few areas

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Beta 7 is out folks and the map is MUCH smaller now.

b6 to b7 changes:

-Fixed a hole in the gates of the blue's first spawn.
-Fixed a floating prop after the 3rd point.
-Added a bit of lighting to the blue building at the first part of the map.
-Made the first and second part of the map a lot smaller now.
-Added a bit more lighting to blue's first spawn.
-Fixed a bunch of clipping issues.
-Fixed a few visible nodraw surfaces.
-Closed off the red building near the 3rd point.
-Added more details overall.
-Added more health/ammo packs to certain areas.
-Added stairs to the 3rd Blue spawn which lead you to the sniper deck.
-Added Volumetric lighting to certain areas of the map.
-Added Dynamic signs to the map.
-Redesigned a some areas of the map.
-Fixed some places where players would get stuck.
-Fixed the animation on the resupply cabinet not working.
-Improved performance vie func_occluder.
-Reduced the filesize by 2MB.