Outback

Outback rc4

Ki||a

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2008
Glad to see a server running this :) ill visit it asap also gratz on the map its very beautiful

keptfireball

Jun 25, 2009
bump for a great map maker and let keep this map active. We need to see some little and minor improvements. Nice to find out we have a 24/7 server running it right now. Good way to get the maps out there and noticeable.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
This is what I have fixed so far in rc3 which I will be releasing either today or tomorrow.

RC2 to RC3 changes:

-Added menu photos when you first load up the map.
-Fixed a few places where you get stuck
-Changed Red Team's last spawntime to 15 secs.
-Fixed some minor issues withe spec cameras.
-Fixed a problem with the timer going over 10mins when capping.
-Fixed a few textures overlapping.
-Fixed a few visisble nodraw brushes at the first part of the map.

runtime

Jul 4, 2009
15 seconds isn't half a minute?

But regardless, it probably is a better idea to tweak the spawn locations and battlements and stuff like that to give BLU more advantages than to increase respawn time.

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
This is what I have fixed so far in rc3 which I will be releasing either today or tomorrow.

RC2 to RC3 changes:

-Added menu photos when you first load up the map.
-Fixed a few places where you get stuck
-Changed Red Team's last spawntime to 15 secs.
-Fixed some minor issues withe spec cameras.
-Fixed a problem with the timer going over 10mins when capping.
-Fixed a few textures overlapping.
-Fixed a few visisble nodraw brushes at the first part of the map.

I've added RC2 to my server, so will update to RC3 on release. I like those changes, 15 secs is probably the max I'd have the respawn time though.

Also, please fix this

Your last point sign still says Point C, when it should say Point D

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
15 seconds isn't half a minute?

But regardless, it probably is a better idea to tweak the spawn locations and battlements and stuff like that to give BLU more advantages than to increase respawn time.

If you set the respawn time to 15 seconds, 15 seconds is the bare minimum it takes to spawn. Most people will spawn in around 22 or so seconds, but it can range anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds.

Waiting 20 seconds to spawn isn't fun, waiting 25 really isn't, waiting 30 just sucks.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
I've added RC2 to my server, so will update to RC3 on release. I like those changes, 15 secs is probably the max I'd have the respawn time though.

Also, please fix this

Your last point sign still says Point C, when it should say Point D

hmm.., For some reason there isn't a skin for D. I only see skins for A, B, C. What should I do? Should I leave it like that or just take it out?

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
One more question, how would I pakrat the menu photos when you first load up the map? I have seen some maps have the menu photos pakrated but for some reason pakrat wouldnt read my menu photos.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
never mind, I found it. I'll release rc3 tomorrow when I come home from school. Ill be leaving the map to compile over the night since it takes 2hrs and 45 mins to compile.

Tob

Sep 11, 2009
Sorry for asking stupid questions but im new here ;) : Is the download link at the first page of this thread the recent version of your map?

Im askin, because i often read statements like >map is to big< or something, and also that you resized it.

Well, i really love the artwork and design of outback and the way how perfectly it fits into tf2 style too, so i arranged a 10vs10 test run on my root server.

It's a german public server with many high skilled players on it.
Most of our players said that the map is too big and that its too hard to defend the first 3 CPs. Per exsample they missed safe sentry positions.

Hope there will be a smaller version in the future. Maybe you devide it in three stages.

Ignore my crappy english skills please. ;)

Last edited:

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
I'd say its extremely unlikely to be split into three stages at this stage in the development process, its in RC!

I'd also state that any map you play initially is going to be hard to defend as you don't know the best spots and don't have knowledge of the layout. The map is great and I've seen teams defend the third point successfully and almost prevent the attackers taking even the first.

I'd love to play it more, which is why I've added it to my server, I just need to get more people on my server.

S.W.A.T.Y

Banned
Sep 28, 2008
Sorry for asking stupid questions but im new here ;) : Is the download link at the first page of this thread the recent version of your map?

Im askin, because i often read statements like >map is to big< or something, and also that you resized it.

Well, i really love the artwork and design of outback and the way how perfectly it fits into tf2 style too, so i arranged a 10vs10 test run on my root server.

It's a german public server with many high skilled players on it.
Most of our players said that the map is too big and that its too hard to defend the first 3 CPs. Per exsample they missed safe sentry positions.

Hope there will be a smaller version in the future. Maybe you devide it in three stages.

Ignore my crappy english skills please. ;)

Yes, the download link at the first page of this thread is the latest version(rc2). As Wegason mentioned, the map is quite easy to defend, you just need to play the map more than once to get used to it. Any map that you play for the first time is hard to find good spots to defend.

Tob

Sep 11, 2009
That's true. The more you play a map the better you know it.

But of cours we played the map more than once.
i'm sure that it's possible to defend the map in a better way than we did in our test run,
just as i'm sure that it's possible to improve the map.

Anyway, the map looks really nice.
I just wanted to forward the feedback from our server. ;)