[OFFICIAL] TF2Maps Arctic Theme Pack Thread

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
What kind of snowblow train are you talking about?
And I would like to help with textures.

This guy:
Giant-Snow-Blower-Train-2.jpg

Or something more similar to this:
RhB_Xrotd_9213_am_Lago_Bianco_4.jpg

Although I won't start modeling on it for about a month I'm afraid. You know. Cuz school 'n shit.

I'll probably do something that has a little bit of both, and then use it as the main "story point" on my single stage Cactus Canyon-style payload map I'm currently planning which will use a lot of the theme pack's assets.

Last edited:

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014

The second picture is a giant error for me.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014

The second picture is a giant error for me.

What? It's a Wikipedia picture, not a missing model.

Also, what's the track spacing in TF2 for the locomotive? Preferably in centimeters or Hammer units.

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Also, I heard a few things about Waffle making a map, and according to the "what we need" list, we need 2 maps in at least an alpha state using the pack. I'm already planning a Cactus Canyon-style payload map yet with one single stage in an arctic setting, where the main objective is, as the BLU team, to blow up the rotary snow blower RED uses to keep their railroads clear, so that makes 2 maps. I'm also planning on making that very snow plow.

Also, are we certain we can use and ship the cp_snowplow assets into this pack?

Tacoman_

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2014
I am good with particles, I believe I can help out with the northern lights and snow. I have a few questions first.
For snow;
How many and how big should I make the snowfall "patches". Should I go with the classical 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048?
Should it be a Square "patch" or a round one?
How much should I worry about performance, as I have done test maps with heavy snow with collisions and got a chunk of my fps eaten away with a AMD Radeon HD 6520G graphics card.(Low end-Mid)

For the aurora;
How big should it be? Multiple sizes like the snow?
Skybox version?

Steam?;
What do you mean by "Steam". Do you mean the smokestacks that come out of chimneys?
How big should this "steam be"?

Thats all of my very abundant but simple questions. I can get started on working on them when I get these answered

Last edited:

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
I would say definitely go for square patches in all of those sizes. Don't do snow with collisions as performance is important.

The aurora borealis/northern lights should only be in the skybox imo so do a skybox version and nothing else i guess.

By steam I mean stuff that comes out of vents, smokestacks, etc.

Just play around with particles as you feel I guess.

I do believe we have some other people possibly doing particles so you might be up against people to see who can do the better particles :p

Tacoman_

Nov 19, 2014
I would say definitely go for square patches in all of those sizes. Don't do snow with collisions as performance is important.

The aurora borealis/northern lights should only be in the skybox imo so do a skybox version and nothing else i guess.

By steam I mean stuff that comes out of vents, smokestacks, etc.

Just play around with particles as you feel I guess.

I do believe we have some other people possibly doing particles so you might be up against people to see who can do the better particles :p

I will make my snow, steam, and aurora particles separate files then in case someone does one of those better than me
Thanks for the response

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I will make my snow, steam, and aurora particles separate files then in case someone does one of those better than me
Thanks for the response

Mind also making steam as in steam locomotive steam? I already have a model but there's not a good steam particle out there that matches the size of the locomotive.

And yes it's a big locomotive. It's this one.

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
A frozen caveman (with heavy's body frame) in ice, please!

Tacoman_

Nov 19, 2014
Mind also making steam as in steam locomotive steam? I already have a model but there's not a good steam particle out there that matches the size of the locomotive.

And yes it's a big locomotive. It's this one.

I could, just would need to know the diameter of the steam pipe of the train in hammer units

Jukebox

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2014
Here's some beautifully done doodles I've done for some props I hope to get to. Some are more feasible than others. I promise I model much better than I draw.

9c80b91fb9.png

Lamp post 1st pass

If anyone wants to make some of them let me know so we don't make multiples of the same thing, but most of these can be done pretty differently so it's not even too big of a deal. I made these doodles for me to just get some shapes down, I visualize things as a model much better in my head so my concepts are usually pretty crappy for other people. So if anybody is interested in me making better versions for other people to use just let me know, I dont mind.

I'm much faster at modeling than I am at texturing so it might be of better interest for me to just compile and upload the models for whoever to have their hand at texturing. If any of the managers have a system for this, like a dropbox or google drive or whatever that'd be cool, or if you'd rather me not, just say.

Also, Lightwarp for snow/ice stuff.
e5e264533a.png

Texture for reference
In game screens of it on a weapon.
Might be a bit weak, I'll have to try it on a bigger prop thing to see.

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I could, just would need to know the diameter of the steam pipe of the train in hammer units

The pipe is, from the top view where left-right is the X-axis and top-bottom is the Y-axis, 22 HU over the X-axis and 12 HU over the Y-axis.

So 22 HU long by 12 HU wide.

You know what, PM me for the details.

Last edited:

Jukebox

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2014
Basecolors.
d6e92cb2b6.png
281a8a8865.png
d48fb356eb.png

Last edited: