[OFFICIAL] TF2Maps Arctic Theme Pack Thread

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Yeah, I read the whole thread after and saw the concept art but that's it. That'd be a great asset to have.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
For the record, people you don't need an "OK" to start modelling or texturing! Work your hardest and make something great, even if it's not what we want know releasing something you worked hard on will be worth it on it's own, especially when it turns up in other people's maps.

Coolz

L2: Junior Member
Sep 19, 2013
Someone needs to make better metal wall textures for this pack, specifically for BLU.
It might not be completely relevant but I just don't like the metal wall textures for TF2 at all...

DioJoestar

Jul 1, 2014
Should I continue? :S
mv6Hxo7.png

Jukebox

Feb 21, 2014
Should I continue? :S
mv6Hxo7.png

I think the snowman part can stand to be more high poly, its pretty angular right now. The scarf on the other hand looks pretty high poly and maybe should be taken down some?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
You're not going to be able to do that in under 1500 triangles, no way. Too many curved parts, and curves eat up polys. Do a target goal of 2000-3000, you can always remove geo later. Plus polys are cheap to render if the texture is not doing anything special (transparency, phong, etc).

Also, I'd use a reference that was from the 1950s-1970s so it fits with the TF2 timeframe. Maybe something like this.

Folkye

L1: Registered
Sep 1, 2013
But I saw that many cars and trucks has no more than 2K tris. For example Tf2 Emporium Vehicle Map Pack. I'll try to do something between new and old reference because I really like the shape of new :) Thanks for feedback anyway!

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
But I saw that many cars and trucks has no more than 2K tris. For example Tf2 Emporium Vehicle Map Pack. I'll try to do something between new and old reference because I really like the shape of new :) Thanks for feedback anyway!

You could split each part into different models, I know the construction pack does that.

Folkye

L1: Registered
Sep 1, 2013
You're not going to be able to do that in under 1500 triangles, no way. Too many curved parts, and curves eat up polys. Do a target goal of 2000-3000, you can always remove geo later. Plus polys are cheap to render if the texture is not doing anything special (transparency, phong, etc).

Also, I'd use a reference that was from the 1950s-1970s so it fits with the TF2 timeframe. Maybe something like this.

Woops, I found model with 9655 tris (Harvester from Emporium Vehicle prop pack) Sorry, i was wrong:blushing:)

Jukebox

Feb 21, 2014

Props should be as many tris as they need to be, but no more. A good range is 1k to 3k, depending on the model size, complexity, and how much players are going to see it. The payload model is pretty hi-poly because players sit on it the entire round, while a random bomb prop in a corner would be a lot less. 3k usually isn't needed for smaller props, so if one has that many it could be because it has a poor model.

You could split each part into different models, I know the construction pack does that.

I don't see any reason someone would need half of a small snow plow though. :p