[Official] TF2, Source, + Steam on Mac!

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Source SDK won't port. I've tried. It has some iffy thing thats stopping it, the code needs to be properly ported, not some wrapper-port.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
So does this mean we'll get an OpenGL render path for the Source engine?

Feb 17, 2009
Steam on iPhone is not such a good idea, because there already is appstore.

maggotrain

L1: Registered
Jan 31, 2009
Good news.

Been waiting for this, good thing for tf2 community -> new players and mappers. Nowadays over half of my friends have changed to mac. They only complain about the lack of the games.

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
I want Steam Friends on my iPod Touch!

+1

i have Gears, but its just a app that lets you browse on steam profiles
my dear €2,39 :O

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You know what else this means, right? All their Mac games will be running on the latest version of Source. (You know, like how they planned for Source to work in the first place but changed their minds when it turned out to be too much work.) So things like multicore support and the new VPK file system will probably be available in Half-Life 2 and stuff. And I can't even imagine what they're cooking up for the SDK, seeing how they're having to build most of the tools from scratch and have plenty of opportunities to tweak and improve stuff.

Delusibeta

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
You know what else this means, right? All their Mac games will be running on the latest version of Source. (You know, like how they planned for Source to work in the first place but changed their minds when it turned out to be too much work.) So things like multicore support and the new VPK file system will probably be available in Half-Life 2 and stuff. And I can't even imagine what they're cooking up for the SDK, seeing how they're having to build most of the tools from scratch and have plenty of opportunities to tweak and improve stuff.

They better port (or at least make the OpenGL renderers available) back to the Windows version, otherwise there will be uproar (again).

Jan 20, 2010
005_professor.png

I'm sure you all just heard his voice.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
How so? They have separate teams for everything.

TF2 Team =/= Portal 2 Team =/= Left 4 Dead Team =/= Steam Team

Apart from the occasional reshuffle.
its widely known that the tf2 team was greatly involved with l4d. hence the delays in class updates last year.

Feb 14, 2008
its widely known that the tf2 team was greatly involved with l4d. hence the delays in class updates last year.

Actually, I read somewhere that Valve have the Mac code up and running at the same time as Windows one, all that changes is the rendering method AFAIK.

And the TF2 team, as did everyone in Valve, gets involved with polishing a game close to its release, to iron out bugs, fix any major issues, that kind of thing.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
It's just another platform like the 360 so it won't have that much of an affect on development times. Clearly they have a codebase which can be compiled and run under Windows, Mac, and the 360 without them having to fiddle around with anything. It's the same with a lot of engines nowadays. Sometimes it's a simple as hitting a button and letting the compiler do all the leg work for you.

Anyway, I couldn't care for Macs but this is some pretty big news that will surely bring other big games to non-Windows platforms. Maybe the OpenGL render path could lead to a Linux port as well. That would be fantastic. :D