Oceanside

CP Oceanside a4b

Sir Nick

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2018
Cliffside - A 3cp map made for the Connect 5 Contest.

The tagline says it all really. This is my first map I've actually released. The Connect 5 Contest gave me a direction and a deadline, so I said "Damnit, I'm actually going to release it this time!"

Here's the row I'm using for the contest:

xVdKoSz.png

The Seaside aspect isn't applicable currently, but it will be by contest time. There is also a moving train that patrols a shortcut from Red Last to Blu Last, if you're feeling lucky.

There's currently some z-plane fighting going on with some of the textures, and the train's movement isn't too pretty, but I wanted to get this out and posted before the contest deadline to try and get some feedback on it before it needed to be submitted.

Hopefully the feedback isn't too horrendous, as I think I'd like to see this one to more completion even after the contest has ended.

Sir Nick

Apr 9, 2018
Roof widths? Could you explain it a bit more? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also, did all the textures work out? I'm still not sure if I packed it right...

Sir Nick

Apr 9, 2018
Formerly cp_cliffside. I changed the name because, thanks to this little tool, I found someone had already made a cp_cliffside.

I updated mid's gameplay a bit. The "Objective on a Bridge" section of the map wasn't really very obvious, so I made it more so. I also start a little on the 3D skybox (not finished), and added spectator cameras.

Read the rest of this update entry...

ficool2

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 28, 2017
Could make those high ciffs less flat, also try hide the texture repeating as it doesn't look great

Sir Nick

Apr 9, 2018
Although it's not just dev textures, this map is still completely in alpha. It hasn't even been play tested. All the detail is simply to fit the Connect 5 Contest themes. There's still much work to be done.

The only reason I uploaded it before contest day was to try and MAYBE get some play testing in to improve the layout that little bit before judging.

Sir Nick

Apr 9, 2018
Changelog:
  • Overhauled last for both sides: Last was WAY too open before, as I hadn't made it a focus before I pushed a2. I am pushing updates quick to try and make this map as good as it can be before the Connect 5 Contest is over, so I pushed a2 out just to get some testing for the rest of the map. The new last point are much more dynamic and (hopefully) interesting.
  • Lowered health pack count: A common complaint for the last version was that there were just too many health packs. Enjoy burning to death now.
  • Fixed RED resupply lockers: They were just set to the wrong team...because I'm an idiot.
  • Adjusted the train killbox: I had originally meant it so that you couldn't dodge the train if you were in the tunnel. It was meant to be a risky shortcut between last's. This was complained about, so I adjusted it so it's POSSIBLE, but will still catch you off-guard if you're not paying attention.
  • Added a ramp in the building with the furnace after complaints about having to jump up the ledge being "too hard".
  • Adjusted some minor cipping
  • Changed a few minor details
Hopefully these changes are for the better. Only time will tell.

Sir Nick

Apr 9, 2018
Changelog:

• Reduced overall map size. A recurring complaint was that my map was over-scaled. I hadn't measured it out since it's early development, so after getting these complaints I decided to check again. Wow, was it oversized...

Scaling it down meant:
    -Removing a building from mid, and scaling back the cliff accordingly.

- Adjusting the remaining mid-buildings, including lowering the height of the sniper towers slightly for more ease of jumping into them.

- Reworked Last a bunch to consolidate the area between spawn and the buildings closest to the point.
  • I also reworked the health and ammo pickups to try and make them more cohesive.

Sir Nick

Apr 9, 2018
Changelog:
  • Fixed various clipping issues found in playtesting
  • Fixed being able to ride the train out of the map (hopefully)
  • Adjusted the train hitbox to stop it from killing you by touching the side
  • Changed one of the train cars to be a flat car (as suggested during playtesting)
  • Changed the train to always come from the side of the team that owns mid. This was suggested by 14bit as a way to alleviate a little stalemating and be an interesting mechanic. The owners of mid can now easily ride the train to the other side of the map.
  • Moved the resupply cabinets closer to the big doors of spawn
This will likely be the last update before submitting to the contest. Hopefully it's received alright. I have absolutely no delusions of it being anywhere close to winning anything, but I've had fun actually releasing something, getting feedback, and learning a lot of new things about mapping.