NODRAW.NET: Advanced tutorials by your favorite mappers!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Use feature props that you recognise, they allow you to gage distances through their size.

For example, when designing the middle area of my CTF contest entry (sabotage), i dropped the 2fort bridge "chasis" down to make sure my area wasn't too big/small.

Additionally, use sentry's like the player models as Midget said. Their sight range is 1100, so set their fade distance to that, when you select them you get a ring around them that shows their firing range. Anyone who plays engineer or finds themselves taking a lot of sentry's out (soldier/demo players in particular) will figure out the defencive dynamics of an area that way as well. Generally areas are slightly larger than the sentry sight range, depending on the map. So 1024 - 2048 are good area sizes.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2009
I was under the impression that a sentry could see 1024 (level 3, if any of the other levels can't).

Also, just on the site, I'm very glad there's a place that's pure compact tutorial resources, so no more sifting though endless pages :D

Fantastic work, this is like the godchild of interlopers and the best of tf2m.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I was under the impression that a sentry could see 1024 (level 3, if any of the other levels can't).

They can see 1024 however if you've set them to fade at 1024 you've probably failed to realise that SGs are never placed exactly in the same spot and that SGs are often placed in groups. Both of these effects lead to the effective area of that SG spot being more like 1100 or even 1200 in radius, so a 1024 fade isn't fairly representative.