New Years resolutions 2: episode 20

Did you complete last years resolutions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
...time, (//insert username here)? Is it really that time again? It seems as if the year had only just arrived. You've done a great deal this year. You've done so much, in fact, that I've heard some interesting resolutions for next year. Ordinarily, I wouldn't pay attention to them. But these are extraordinary times. Rather than offer you the illusion of some far fetched completed resolutions, I will give the liberty of choosing for yourself... if and when your resolutions comes around again. I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary assortment of questions, (%userid%) I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of...well...

..Never

Anyways, it’s that time of year again where we promise to ourselves and others goals and wishes for the following year! Wether it be health related, financial, or some random thing you’ve always wanted to kick off your bucket list it’s time for your New Year resolutions of 2020! Feel free to share your resolutions and how well you did on them last year (Assuming you did for more than 3 days).

I hope you all a happy new year! Thanks for being an amazing community. See y’all next year.

In the meantime...
This is where I gets off.

-Tango

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
I did not make any resolutions last year, but two years ago I made this resolution:
Get a map to RC.
I unfortunately did not wholly complete that resolution in 2018, or even in 2019. However, I could say I came close with Cathedral B1, which was fully detailed upon release. It was rushed though; the layout definitely needed more testing, and the detailing around the second CP is medicore and could be improved. But by the end of B1's development, I was growing tired of the project, and once it was published, I moved on. In 2019, I posted my Dusk Till Dawn entry, which I currently regard as my best work in the Source engine. It wasn't a gameplay map, but it was extensively detailed and I think it turned out excellent. Neither of these are Release Candidate maps per se, but they both did take a lot of work and I think are pretty neat.

In 2020, I'm setting myself a similar resolution. Get another map to RC or late beta, one with a layout and detailing I can truly be proud of. I currently expect this to be Cargoship, a map which was one of my earliest projects on the site and I just started revisiting this year. It too reached B1 during its life, but... it was awful and we shall never speak of it again past this decade, which is why I started over with V2. This time, I really don't want to rush it to beta. Cargoship especially suffers from some notable limitations due to its core concept, limitations which still show in its current form, so I really need to be careful and iterate plentifully to get this one right. Regardless, I think I'm on the right track, and the folks over at Potato MvM have been super helpful. Here's hoping all goes well, and I'll see you all in 2020 with V2A5.

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
I did not make any resolutions last year, but two years ago I made this resolution:

I unfortunately did not wholly complete that resolution in 2018, or even in 2019. However, I could say I came close with Cathedral B1, which was fully detailed upon release. It was rushed though; the layout definitely needed more testing, and the detailing around the second CP is medicore and could be improved. But by the end of B1's development, I was growing tired of the project, and once it was published, I moved on. In 2019, I posted my Dusk Till Dawn entry, which I currently regard as my best work in the Source engine. It wasn't a gameplay map, but it was extensively detailed and I think it turned out excellent. Neither of these are Release Candidate maps per se, but they both did take a lot of work and I think are pretty neat.

In 2020, I'm setting myself a similar resolution. Get another map to RC or late beta, one with a layout and detailing I can truly be proud of. I currently expect this to be Cargoship, a map which was one of my earliest projects on the site and I just started revisiting this year. It too reached B1 during its life, but... it was awful and we shall never speak of it again past this decade, which is why I started over with V2. This time, I really don't want to rush it to beta. Cargoship especially suffers from some notable limitations due to its core concept, limitations which still show in its current form, so I really need to be careful and iterate plentifully to get this one right. Regardless, I think I'm on the right track, and the folks over at Potato MvM have been super helpful. Here's hoping all goes well, and I'll see you all in 2020 with V2A5.

How’s the process on making an MVM map? I’m curious.

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
I've got some resolutions I'd love to finally try to nail down,

Finally in the wake of getting a drawing tablet I can get cracking on my first "serious" youtube video, hoping that follows through

Also I'd love to challenge myself and get my pd map Hell Well "Finished" before halloween, I've been working on and off since september and am gaining some legitimate progress, but I'm lazy and I procrastinate so we'll see

Coding Ethan

L2: Junior Member
Oct 12, 2014
Finish more projects
Upload more videos
Release Portal 2: Get Good Demo 2

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
How’s the process on making an MVM map? I’m curious.
While a lot of the map design is different, there's more logic involved, and you also have to design missions, the basic process of "design, test, gather feedback, iterate, repeat until good" is basically unchanged.