New Rocks Pack

Model New Rocks Pack 1.0

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
New Rock Models!

Release: Nov 04, 2009
Author: Meshes, LOD models, And Collision Meshes by Alex Kreeger. Textures modified from Valve Software's Textures.
E-mail: Kreeger242@live.missouristate.edu
Version: 1.0.1

Changelog 12/30/09:

*Updated all rock models to use correct illumination positions. No more inaccurately rendered models.

This pack includes 10 brand new desert theme rocks for Team Fortress 2. To make sure they fit both the style of desert

maps, and with the previously existing rock models, great effort has been taken to ensure consistency and quality.

Each model includes the following:

*4 Textures
*1 Mesh
*1 Collision Mesh
*2 LOD models (for optimum performance)

Model specifications:

*rock_01 - 161 Triangles @ LOD 0, 80 @ LOD 1
*rock_02 - 333 Triangles @ LOD 0, 165 @ LOD 1
*rock_03 - 276 Triangles @ LOD 0, 138 @ LOD 1
*rock_04 - 276 Triangles @ LOD 0, 138 @ LOD 1
*rock_05 - 769 Triangles @ LOD 0, 384 @ LOD 1
*rock_06 - 376 Triangles @ LOD 0, 182 @ LOD 1
*rock_07 - 343 Triangles @ LOD 0, 170 @ LOD 1
*rock_08 - 407 Triangles @ LOD 0, 202 @ LOD 1
*rock_09 - 554 Triangles @ LOD 0, 272 @ LOD 1
*rock_10 - 337 Triangles @ LOD 0, 168 @ LOD 1

Zip contains:

*This fantastic readme file!
*80 texture files (26.6 mb)
*70 model files (613 kb)

Extract to: "SteamApps\[username]\team fortress 2\tf" directory to install.

You are free to use these models as long as you credit me in your map release.

**YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO MODIFY ANY OF THE FILES FOUND WITHIN THE ARCHIVE, OR REDISTRIBUTE.

Check back again later for more models!

I'm going make some new ones. Because frankly, I was playing a lot of maps yesterday, and I noticed how many of those rocks people use and OVERUSE...the shapes become very familiar and predictable, no matter how you rotate them and stick em in. Not that there's anything wrong with them...but we could really use some new ones.

So look forward to some unique rock models.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Sounds great, It's something I've been thinking too but couldnt do much about it.

Looking forward to it.

EDIT: (after release) Amazing work dude, they all look useful and different.
I'm sure these will be seen in many custom maps from now on!

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
If you guys have any specific sizes or shapes you have in mind, just give the dimensions here, or sketch up a shape to share, I'd be happy to include those.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Would some sort of "modular" method word? like having split models with missing faces, but their edges line up so you can mix and match? Not sure how the lighting would be, but I'm thinking it would work ok when you use the static prop parameters.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
That's definitely something worth looking into...especially for blocking off large areas with 'rock walls'...but it might be easier just to end up overlapping props in hammer. I'll have to experiment.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Well, why do we have info_lighting then? :D
(Not sure if that was the name)

But i guess it might be hard for rocks to make them modular. For pipes for example, you can easily put them on a grid, but for rocks that might be more difficult.

However, if you also make small rocks, i could really use some in my actual map for my new second cp, cant wait for it :)

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Here's some really QUICK tests...just to see if I can imitate the rock shapes...I still need to work on the process for this. Here's the result:

testrock1.jpg

testrock2.jpg

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Can I have some rocks that fit in a 128x256x256 space?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Not sure if its just the shading in your modeling software or the ambient occlusion it made, but that looks far too pointed

Aug 19, 2008
i like what i see :D
it always takes ages to make something unique from the given rocks

i´m also for the suggestion to make some modular pieces, that way it´s easier to fit stones into your level, than building some geometry around the rocks

i know, i know, the next 2 words are completely stupid...

Rock On!

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Lol...and yeah, much too pointed right now. I compromised with 50 deg smoothing groups, I may crank it up a little. Let's see:
testrock3.jpg

I like that better. 148 polycount just for this model. I don't even like this one, I think future ones would be a lot better.

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
This is good, possibly have different sizes of the same rocks (ie, have one 128 x 128 x 256; and a smaller version at 64 x 64 x 128) So you can have the same rocks, but are able to be used more with more flexibility than the Valve standard ones.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
In my opinion, especially for desert themes, there's not enough "Small" rocks. Like, 100x100 units or smaller. Also, the game could do with some more large rocks as well, I don't like the current alpine large rocks, they seem to...plastic.
But anyway, you're making them, so. Looking forward to it!

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
I would like to see some modular rocks, just release them as individual rocks instead of clusters, but fit the origins together. That way it would be easy to re-construct the clusters, while it would also be possible to design your own, more original versions. Also, I would like to see some rocks specifically designed to be used as stairs. You know, with height differences no more than 96, or 45 degree slopes where that isn't possibly. That would provide a height advantage to almost any class, while still being hard to get on top of.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
This would really make my day :3

I've used every different rock type at least two ways in Spillway and for the sake of either future maps or my final visuals, having more rock designs would be AWESOME. I'd like to have some dimensions to give to you, but anything would help.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Go ahead and spill out some dimensions...I'd rather make something useful and stuff that anyone can use. Just make sure you designate orientation, you know, so I don't build it wrong.

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Lol, hopefully they will get a much more realistic texture thrown on it. Not real like HL2, but right now whatever your using almost makes it look like a crumpled up brown paper bag. Lol. I'm interested to see what you can come up with. Maybe getting both Desert, Alpine and Jungle themed rocks? Same shapes just different skins.