my lights keep leaking a sealed map

PuzzlePuddles

L1: Registered
Aug 19, 2023
i've had this scenario on multiple occasions and i have researched tons of sites and lost countless hours troubleshooting it. basically, if i place a light entity it will almost certainly leak if exposed to the skybox. the thing that drives me insane is the fact the pointfile red line draws a line THROUGH the skybox brush which doesn't help at all. this isn't a point origin leak, isn't an areaportal leak nor is it an unsealed map leak, although i have a hunch this might be connected to areaportals in some way (since i don't use them)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running command: cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin"

Running command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\enclosed_rooms.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jan 4 2023)
12 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\enclosed_rooms.vmf
Patching WVT material: maps/enclosed_rooms/dev/dev_blendmeasure2_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
** leaked **
Entity light (-1856.00 16.00 192.00) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (128.0 1024.0 480.0)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Leaf 1 contents:
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (264.0 1024.0 480.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (648.0 1024.0 480.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (0.0 1536.0 -40.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (0.0 1536.0 504.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (0.0 1536.0 1024.0)
Leaf 1 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1024.0 1536.0 480.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (512.0 2048.0 480.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

* Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors.... *
Processing areas...
Brush 10504: areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas

Brush 10365: areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas

Brush 10471: areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas

Brush 10471: areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas
done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_borealis01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_borealis01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (39501 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 18 texinfos to 9
Reduced 6 texdatas to 5 (155 bytes to 133)
Writing C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\enclosed_rooms.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 261387, actual size 260503
1 second elapsed

Running command: cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin"

Running command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\enclosed_rooms"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jan 4 2023)
12 threads
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\tf\maps\enclosed_rooms.bsp
reading c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\tf\maps\enclosed_rooms.prt
LoadPortals: couldn't read c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\team fortress 2\tf\maps\enclosed_rooms.prt

Finished. Press a key to close.

T

The Asylum

I have had a lot of trouble with entities leaking right through opaque brushes with Pipeball Ultra, and the solution always was to reduce the size of a trigger brush. The pointfile would never show me which one, so I had to play a very tedious and annoying guessing game.

That's just my experience, though.

PuzzlePuddles

L1: Registered
Aug 19, 2023
Is it possible that the lights are inside a solid brush? (eg. a trigger that accidentally hasn't been made an entity)
1693406762811.png

1693406777591.png