Status
Not open for further replies.

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
TFConnect2big.png

Main Thread | Upload Thread | Voting Thread | Results

Voting Deadline: December 15th, 2023, 11:59pm EST (4:59 UTC on Dec. 16).

Please judge these maps according to the following categories:
CategoryPossible PointsDescription
Gameplay20How well does the map play? Is it balanced?
Visuals20Does it look nice? Is the theme creative?
Collaboration5How well did the mappers work together? How even was the workload split? Check out the Upload Thread to see who did what on each map, and judge how well those parts work together.

Maps will have two final scores, each out of 25; one for Gameplay and one for Visuals. Collaboration will be factored into both scores; the Final Gameplay score will be an average of each judge's Gameplay + Collaboration scores, and the Final Visuals score will be an average of each judge's Visuals + Collaboration scores. You do not need to do these calculations yourself as the final scoring spreadsheet will take care of it, but you may include them if you wish. All public votes will be averaged into one composite score, and treated as if they were an extra judge for the final calculations.

There will be two winners; one for Final Gameplay, and one for Final Visuals. In the event that one map wins both categories, the next highest scoring map of either category will be declared the second winner.

To submit a ballot, copy the table below and reply to this thread. You may update your scores as much as you would like until the voting deadline. For your ballet to be valid:
  • You must submit scores for at least 10 of the 14 maps
  • You must include notes for any maps you give scores of less than 10 for Gameplay or Visuals, and/or less than 2.5 for Collaboration
Failure to follow those requirements will result in your ballot being thrown out.

MapGameplay (out of 20)Visuals (out of 20)Collaboration (out of 5)Notes (optional)
cp_compost_rc1
pl_gila_a3
pl_doomgoose_b1b
mvm_regression_b1b
2koth_tanglark_a5
plr_slotcars_a1
pdr_espresso_b1a
pdr_cavefall_a3ab
ultitrio_flinders_a3
arena_jiltown_a5_fix
2koth_division_b2b_fix_2
pl_crestfall_a7a
cp_rivolta_a6b
cp_saluzzo_a1_2

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Judgements are final. There's some surprisingly good stuff here.

Map
Gameplay (out of 20)​
Visuals (out of 20)​
Collaboration (out of 5)​
Notes (optional)​
cp_compost_rc1
5/20​
9/20​
5/5​
Here.​
pl_gila_a3
Not Judging
-
-
-
pl_doomgoose_b1b
13/20​
19/20​
4/5​
Here.​
mvm_regression_b1b
Not Judging
-
-
-
boss_waterflow_final
---Disqualified---
-
-
Concept is cool. Rip.
2koth_tanglark_a5
12/20​
10/20​
4/5​
Here.​
plr_slotcars_a1
18/20​
6/20​
3/5​
Here.​
pdr_espresso_b1a
9/20​
11/20​
3/5​
Here.​
pdr_cavefall_a3ab
6/20​
5/20​
5/5​
Here.​
ultitrio_flinders_a3
8/20​
5/20​
5/5​
Here.​
arena_jiltown_a5_fix
11/20​
13/20​
3/5​
N/A​
2koth_division_b2b_fix_2
14/20​
18/20​
4/5​
Here.​
pl_crestfall_a7a
18/20​
19/20​
5/5​
Here.​
cp_rivolta_a6b
11/20​
8/20​
1/5​
Here.​
cp_saluzzo_a1_2
3/20​
1/20​
5/5​
Here.​

Last edited:

Tang

wee snaw
aa
Aug 18, 2018
Will be updating as map testing goes on.

MapGameplay (out of 20)Visuals (out of 20)Collaboration (out of 5)Notes (optional)
cp_compost_rc1
10/20​
7/20​
3/5​
Sightlines on this map are very long and powerful, especially from RED to BLU spawn, and vice versa. The theme is generally haphazard and all over the place, and some routes/spaces are very off.
pl_gila_a3
14/20​
12/20​
3/5​
pl_doomgoose_b1b
15/20​
18/20​
4/5​
mvm_regression_b1b
-​
-​
-​
(Have not played)
2koth_tanglark_a5
Ours​
Ours​
Ours​
plr_slotcars_a1
12/20​
6/20​
3/5​
While rather fun at first, it does get rather dull after the first 15 minute round, and the stark lighting and limited textures have it rather bleak. I cannot tell what the theme is.
pdr_espresso_b1a
12/20​
12/20​
4/5​
This map just feels too busy and cluttered, and while pretty, I was also quite confused where to be and where I was going. Otherwise, had some fun interactions
pdr_cavefall_a3ab
5/20​
5/20​
2/5​
This map simply was not fun to play on, I'm sorry. The geometry and lighting were very disorienting, and the sightlines and vertical spaces in my opinion were also very challenging. It felt like neither maker were in touch with what they wanted the map to be, or with each other.
ultitrio_flinders_a3
-​
-​
-​
(Have not played)
arena_jiltown_a5_fix
14/20​
15/20​
3/5​
2koth_division_b2b_fix_2
14/20​
16/20​
3/5​
pl_crestfall_a7a
12/20​
16/20​
4/5​
I might need to retest, because I didnt have fun at all while we were playing.
cp_rivolta_a6b
8/20​
15/20​
3/5​
While pretty in some spaces, it suffers from being a little cluttered, where it seems to me the detail and propwork was getting in the way of the fights and movements between teams.
cp_saluzzo_a1_2
4/20​
5/20​
1/5​
This map needs work. The logic is broken on Stage 2, the capture times are in general very short, and some of the scaling is off, to name a few. This would've been better off if it were tested on the server at anytime before the contest testing. There is also a clear disconnect between both partners, as if neither communicated between each other both during the map's creation and even when submitting.

Last edited:

DAReaperKid

L1: Registered
Dec 10, 2023
***Visuals that are rated 5 uses majority of it as dev textures, so I can't really grade them.
Map​
Gameplay
(out of 20)​
Visuals
(out of 20)​
Collaboration
(out of 5)​
Notes
(optional)​
cp_compost_rc1
---
---
---
pl_gila_a3​
14​
14​
4​
Good layout, some issues here and there, and the train part is quite easy to do considering BLU starts dominating RED after waiting for the train.​
pl_doomgoose_b1b​
14​
20​
4​
Really interesting and fun map, but the layout is confusing for newer players and players who have not memorized the layout.​
[SELF-MADE]
mvm_regression_b1b
---
---
---
regression in a valve game real?
(nav does not have nav_analyze, bots were not shooting properly)
[DISQUALIFIED] boss_waterflow_final
Good concept, might need to reinforce the idea more with a second objective, like Arena.
2koth_tanglark_a5​
16​
10​
4​
The concept is really great, but it does feel tryhard-ish where the team needs to defend both points, which is cool because it's all based on skill and cooperation.​
plr_slotcars_a1​
16​
5​
5​
Fun, interesting, and lovely gameplay, hoping to see a detailed version of the map.​
pdr_espresso_b1a​
8​
20​
4​
The map is confusing even when you've played the map a few times, and if the enemy team is very coordinated, there's nothing to help your team fight against them other than lose.​
pdr_cavefall_a3ab​
12​
5​
4​
Slightly confusing map, the map kind of cooperates with the gamemode.​
ultitrio_flinders_a3
---
---
---
arena_jiltown_a5_fix​
14​
14​
4​
Interesting concept, it was fun, but the map is very short, and it could probably be widened slightly.​
2koth_division_b2b_fix_2​
14​
16​
4​
The overtime on the map is my only concern, where it just feels like Ghost Fort. Map is interesting with the overtime and having to capture both control points.​
pl_crestfall_a7a
---
---
---
cp_rivolta_a6b​
10​
18​
4​
Disliking how cramped the map feels like, and how RED can easily defend the last control point because all the flanks are pointed on the front of their spawn.​
cp_saluzzo_a1_2​
10​
5​
5​
The map is uninteresting, but a1 is where the concepts are being reinforced. The only thing I really like is the second stage. It's slightly bigger than the first stage, but we get to move a lot which is good.​

Last edited:

Ismaciodismorphus

I just made you up to hurt myself
aa
Oct 5, 2020
cp_compost_rc1 7/207/203/5Very long sight lines, Players can shoot into blu spawn and the the artpass is pretty barren
pl_gila_a315/205/205/5Point 2 of stage 1 was very difficult for red to defend, otherwise i felt like the other points played very well in-spite of some nasty sight lines, The map is in dev textures so i cant say much about the visuals.
pl_doomgoose_b1b12/2016/204/5The design of the map meant that players can freely wander around to both teams, I rarely saw the dock area be used by the defenders, I did like attacking last though. The artpass is good! The foundry theme combined with the lighting makes for good contrast
mvm_regression_b1bHave not playedHave not playedHave not playedHave not played
2koth_tanglark_a510/2010/203/5Very wide map which led to attackers being able to freely sneak to my spawn area, i felt that A? the outside point was too flat and it enabled players to stand on the roof and shoot down on unsuspecting players, The indoor point felt better with its supply of cover but it being so low meant that a team capturing the outside point would get to spam down on the other team at B. As for the artpass it looks good in the apartment blocks outside but unfortunately the rest of the map is pretty barren, i would like to see what the map looks like fully art passed in the future.
plr_slotcars_a17/206/205/5I love the concept of playing slotcars on a tiny table but i felt that the map was prone to steam rolling due to the open spawn area that led directly to the cart path, this would lead to one team snowballing ahead of the other forcing them to wait out their loss, Personally i would reduce the number of caps down from ten this way if steamrolls do happen another round can happen faster. I like the theme however currently there isn't much here.
pdr_espresso_b1a15/2014/205/5I liked this map but i think it needs to address some issues, Firstly there should be some kind of rollback zone at last that requires a certain number of points to get past as otherwise going there to try and stop it as the losing team just means you feed the winning team harder, The art pass is pretty nice in some areas like the docks and the train depot? or the last building looks nice! but the underground tunnels around mid could use some more detail and
pdr_cavefall_a3ab7/206/204/5The amount of height difference at mid made it a meat grinder with explosive classes spamming down the central path, other routes let classes like scout run around the map freely, Art pass was bare
ultitrio_flinders_a310/205/203/5Very large map, bottom control point meant that scouts would rush down there and then pop up randomly during a team fight at mid, medics can negate the bottom control points effects. and mid was too flat. In dev textures so i cant say much about visuals
arena_jiltown_a5_fix5/2012/203/5Spawns being so close led to teams barreling into one corridor at the start of a match to get first blood to then instakill half of the other team, the two control points rarely ever came into play, the art pass is OK but the roofs are too blocky.
2koth_division_b2b_fix_2N/AN/AN/AN/A
pl_crestfall_a7a17/2014/204/5Very fun stage 2 payload map! my main issues was with the last point on stage 2 which seems to be very tough to push and the inclusion of the window near the u turn choke means i have to constantly worry about the enemy team pushing through it, otherwise the art pass albeit simple and a bit lacking in places conveys the theme good enough.
cp_rivolta_a6b10/2010/201/5I liked the first point and its artpass but after that the map starts to feel unfinished and the entrances to last feel limiting, as a defender sometimes i even had to fight from my spawn door speaking of which are far too close to the point.
cp_saluzzo_a1_23/201/205/5Unfortunately broken in that players can access stage 2 from stage 1 and freely walk around stage 2 during setup time, the control point triggers seemed to only be on the props and not the hazard taped areas and last on stage 2 was void of them, Stage 2 featured massive sight lines and super bright lights. Capture times were lightning fast making back capping a constant annoyance.

Seacat08

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 7, 2022
cp_compost_rc1NANANAHaven't played
pl_gila_a3NANANAHaven't played
pl_doomgoose_b1b9/2010/202.5/5Not gonna lie this layout was quite confusing even after multiple playthroughs. Routes felt cramped with a lot of props I got caught on, and they tended to lead me to dead ends or away from the objective. Last was not fun to defend and was painful to attack and the artpass while nice tends to be distracting to me and doesn't feel too original compared to the other contest maps. overall the map just felt a bit overrated
mvm_regression_b1b7/205/202.5/5(Played single player) Map was quite broken and had many broken bots and features. Still I had fun. Bots not attacking you most times almost made it like a tower defense map. Which is honestly pretty fun as an engie using disposable sentries. Still the map was confusing and the layout was quite overscaled and most sentry spots are really awkward. The detailing is very basic. Not bad though. Just a couple textures that's all. The little holograms showing where the bot path were also very confusing and honestly did more harm than good at getting me prepared. Still map was quite fun and can't wait to see what MVM maps you make in the future!
2koth_tanglark_a516/2015/202.5/5This map was pretty fun honestly. The geometry seemed really cool and B was quite fun to play around. Although I didn't really get to see A due to the other team having to big of a hold on it. May have just been team balancing though. Detailing was quite nice and was really good especially for the alpha style. I feel you did the soho theme really well. Nice job Tang and Skylark!
plr_slotcars_a112/205/202.5/5This map had a great idea it just had some problems that just really weighed it down in my opinion. The mode while cool on paper just felt a bit campy. Players kind of had no reason not to defend the cart and just lead to players camping it from their spawn. The carts also moved too fast for players to keep up. Even as a scout! The layout also felt a bit too cramped and led to it being dominated by soldiers, demos and heavys. There was a lack of med kits and the detailing left a lot to imagination. Wasn't sure if this was a rats style map with us on an actual slotcar track or if we were supposed to be normal sized. Still I like the mode on paper and with a bit of tuning it may be really good! keep working on it!
pdr_espresso_b1a10/2012/202/5Only played a little bit to be fair but I thought the map was pretty decent. Layout seemed pretty good for plr and the geo looked nice. Although the amount of lights, cubemaps and detail distracts me a bit too much. Other than that seemed like a good map! Oh yeah and the map crashed most players too :(
pdr_cavefall_a3ab7/203/201.5/5This map has a cool idea and was interesting. Just was kind of ruined by the scale of the map splitting teams up too much leading a lot of walking around searching for players. The map also broke shortly in to the point where the carts wouldn't move at all. I also found the detailing to have a cool idea behind it but just felt kind of bad if I'm being honest. a lot of textures clashed with each other and most rooms were really empty and I didn't know what purpose in world they served. Still the layout was quite good when you did find an enemy to fight and I really do like the idea. Map was just really unpolished.
ultitrio_flinders_a3NANANA
Haven't played
arena_jiltown_a5_fix11.5/2010/203/5I know this map should be scored a bit lower but I actually found this pretty fun. Especially for arena! The layout feels pretty good for being open but the lack of a walk does feel odd and ends up leading to less down time before points. I feel it actually works for this map though, leads to more players in one area instead of everywhere. The detailing does feel unpolished but I feel that's fine for a contest with a deadline like this and I also felt that the theme of an abandoned town was done quite well! Nice job!
2koth_division_b2b_fix_213/2013/203/5This map was overall pretty decent. I felt the layout was a bit small leading to very quick rotation times as well as practically no walk from spawn to point and low respawn timers leading to not much down time to cap either point. The detailing was quite nice although I feel it looked a bit odd to me. Almost like the textures used just clashed with each other. May just be me though. Was still quite fun though.
pl_crestfall_a7a15/2014/205/5This map was pretty fun! I loved the outside detailing. The caves felt a bit too open but were still pretty decent. I had fun defending and didn't really get to play a whole lot on attacking due to pc troubles causing me too alt tab a lot. I also feel the collaboration is really good on this map since both did a lot of work while not sticking to one thing
cp_rivolta_a6bInfiniteInfiniteinfiniteThe best map ever made :3
cp_saluzzo_a1_28/209/203.5/5The gameplay had some areas I felt were quite nice but overall the layout felt a tad confusing and had some hard to attack angles. Detailing was fine. I liked the displacements! I just felt lighting was distracting with super bright lights and blinding HDR. Still seemed pretty good and is a good start for an A1! Keep it up!
(May update some of these later on if I play the maps I didn't get to test)

half

aa
Feb 15, 2015
cp_compost_rc1272Gameplay: Clipping exploits that let you shoot into spawn aside, points cap way too fast and the map is way too compressed to really work as a map. Certain areas like the side flank area near B aren't awful, but the map is largely flat, uninteresting, and unfun to fight on. There is also a flank that goes all the way past A directly to B, letting you completely ignore anything happening where everyone is fighting.
Visuals: Artpass is extremely basic and there's a general disregard for details seen in unaligned textures and blocky staircases among other things. Setting is fairly unique, but not much is done with it.
Collaboration: Collaborator 1 appears to have done a large majority of work on the map. Collaborator 2's roles seem very minor in comparison.
pl_gila_a31455Visuals: I can see the beginnings of a good theme here, but the map being all dev-textured really hurts it. There were also a few visual bugs I noticed (e.g. visible nodraw in a couple spots). I also personally think the cliff texture chosen is ugly as sin.
pl_doomgoose_b1b15204Gameplay: The layout is definitely unique. Routing for RED is very confusing even after multiple plays. Due to the map's nature, random flankers would often pop up out of nowhere, which was not fun to fight against. I think both of these issues could maybe be overcome by dynamic signage/shutter doors that are activated/deactivated as points are captured. As it is, I generally had fun.
Visuals: A beautiful map. I genuinely think this map looks better than some official maps. Only minor complaints are the bottom of the hero prop at last looks a little jank, and there's a fairly dark area outside of last's choke.
mvm_regression_b1bDidnotplay
2koth_tanglark_a513123
plr_slotcars_a11664Visuals: Lack of artpass really hurts this map. If it had been worked on more, I can definitely see the map looking very appealing with the rats-type theme it's going for (imagine a custom model slotcar payload cart!). Dev textures are inoffensive, but not interesting and the map feels pretty sterile visually as a result.
pdr_espresso_b1a14185
pdr_cavefall_a3ab852Gameplay: Not a huge fan of PDR as a gamemode. Fighting areas are generally very narrow and meat-grinder-y. Map felt pretty labyrinthine and not a lot of areas were memorable, but I did generally like the cave area near the end of the tracks.
Visuals: Dev texture style is very unappealing -- seems very haphazard. Would have greatly benefited from a reduction in amount of textures used or preferably at least a basic artpass. The really thin beams in the cave section also kind of creeped me out (this is half-joking, but they did look quite odd).
Collaboration: Both collaborators having credits for "Layout" on a single-stage map is odd. The map is also not really "detailed" so I can't tell how much work was actually put in by Collaborator 2.
ultitrio_flinders_a3Didnotplay
arena_jiltown_a5_fix6124Gameplay: There's not much to the map -- due to its small size, fights are typically just spamfests in the tiny rooms where the points are. It can be fun at first, but gets old very fast (especially since rounds are so short).
2koth_division_b2b_fix_210175Gameplay: I don't really like this style of 2koth where both points have to be capped for the clock to tick down, though the HUD is better than the other 2koth map. Both point areas feel too similar to one another (as shown by the spec cameras which are at the exact same angle on both sides of the map) and I feel like more could have been done with this. The upper rotate route between the points is extremely strong since it's so fast and provides great safe high ground, especially for explosive classes. Other rotation routes just didn't seem as fast or as good. Sentries can be a major pain due to the enclosed areas nearby the points. I think this map has a lot of potential, though (and it already looks great).
pl_crestfall_a7aHey,coolmap!(mine)
cp_rivolta_a6b9141.5Gameplay: A lot of the map feels like it relies on prop detail and short little walls for micro-gameplay, which often gets in the way. A few staircases around the map were unclipped. Pushing into both points felt relatively disorganized when I played -- no route really felt "highlighted" and a lot of it just kind of blended together. A is relatively fun to defend. B is not well-designed since RED's spawn just dumps them right onto the point -- there's no buffer zone/high ground behind the point (aside from the small balcony) to allow RED to set up well enough to defend. BLU typically just spawncamps and wins. RED spawn is also quite large and there were a few areas/connections on the map that felt unneeded and excessive.
Collaboration: Super unfortunate that stage 2 was scrapped. The screenshots of it looked good, but that isn't what's being judged. Due to Collaborator 1 doing both the layout and detail of a majority of what was submitted, and Collaborator 2 only providing concepts/help, I can't give it a higher score for collaboration.
cp_saluzzo_a1_2482.5Gameplay: First stage has very corridor-y interiors and has a flank that completely circumvents both objectives. Other than that, it's not bad. Second stage is HUGELY overscaled and not at all fun to play on (especially since it is broken and BLU can get out of spawn before setup ends). Points cap way too fast throughout this map.
Visuals: I actually like a lot of the brushwork on the first stage and think that if the theme was carried out to its conclusion, it could look rather nice. However, most of the map is dev textured and the second stage in particular looks really rough, particularly in regards to lighting and displacement work. HDR is also semi-blinding.
Collaboration: Stage 1 hard-carries this map. Though it's not perfect, I can see vision there and it feels like more time and effort was put into it. Stage 2 feels very slapdash and poorly put together (even disregarding its massive size) and it does not feel like the collaborator put as much time or thought into it.

Subject to changes/additions if I'm able to join more testing tomorrow before voting closes. Votes finalized.

Altogether, I would encourage all the mapmakers in the contest to keep working on these, since despite my harsh words for some of them, I think all the maps in this contest have potential and all have something unique about them.

Last edited:

GuardianAngel

Jun 17, 2018
i wanna note for Cavefall (not that it matters for the event) the latest version of the map has a lot more work put into than the version that is being entered. Unfortunately we ran into an issue last minute and were forced to submit an earlier, less developed version :(

robopan

Sep 9, 2023
this is the first time i playtested maps for a contest, i think there was some cool stuff made B-)
cp_compost_rc1884Gameplay: i think there are a lot of problems with the layout, but i think it could be a lot worse, i still could have fun in the map and its playable imo. there aren't a lot of good sentry spots for red and the first point is a close to the blu spawn, but i think this could become adecent map.
Visuals: very basic artpass with some very square buildings, but it isn't dev textures and i liked the spy cutouts throughout the map
pl_gila_a31645Gameplay: i had fun overall, the main thing i didnt like was the open-ness of the first blu push on the first stage
Visuals: dev textures but still liked the geometry
pl_doomgoose_b1b17195Gameplay: this map reminded a bit of how cp_steel plays with how blu players spawn an go around (this is a good thing, even if i got a bit confused on my first playthrough). I couldn't get to see a proper red defense until the last push.
Visuals: i really love the detailing and color palette on this map. i especially liked the looks of the pier area.
mvm_regression_b1bN/AN/AN/ADid not play.
2koth_tanglark_a514135Gameplay: Most of my problems come with the gamemode rather than the layout, especially how it seems an uphill battle for the losing team. Also players seem prone to spawncamp when they cap both points.
Visuals: Partial artpass with some dev textures on spawn, but i like soho props and rain.
plr_slotcars_a11555Gameplay: the first round was a blast! then some players switched to engineer and it started to stagnate in ways that reminded me a bit of CTF. overall had fun.
Visuals: dev textures but i think i still understood we are supposed to be shrunk and inside a bedroom (right?)
pdr_espresso_b1a13184Gameplay: sightlines are pretty much blocked red-to-blu-wise but really strong side-to-side-wise (which works decent). if i sometimes didn't have fun, it was mainly because of the gamemode and not because of the layout.
Visuals: i loved the props, the setting, and the detailing. the part i felt the most iffy about was the geometry of the buildings and ramps, which didn't seem reasonable as actual living spaces.
pdr_cavefall_a3ab1244Gameplay: the map sometimes felt too big for player destruction and im also not a big fan of the gamemode.
Visuals: dev textures and weird lighting (i think you used light instead of light_spot), but i liked the nighttime setting.
ultitrio_flinders_a31454Gameplay: the map felt pretty good for what it was trying to do. i felt a bit iffy about the secondary cap point, it is a bit too open and i think it takes too long to get there.
Visuals: dev textures with a fine geometry
arena_jiltown_a5_fix13134Gameplay: the map felt a bit small but i still had fun
Visuals: decent art pass while still a bit simple
2koth_division_b2b_fix_2N/AN/AN/ADidn't get to play this one, which sucks because i playtested the previous versions and thought it played pretty cool.
pl_crestfall_a7a14165Gameplay: i got some really bad luck with this one because all the rounds i played felt pretty unfun. i am not a big fan of the experience of defending the last point of the first stage. nevertheless, i still think most of the map plays pretty well.
Visuals: maybe the theme was a bit too basic, but i like rain and would hang out on this map.
cp_rivolta_a6b16175Pretty sad that stage 2 wasn't included.
Gameplay: I'd say this map plays pretty well, although i thought the layout from A to B was filled with small rooms and maybe should be simplified (even if it means getting rid of the precious interiors.
Visuals: i really liked the setting and the geometry. the detailing looked pretty well, although some textures of the buildings were a bit weird.
cp_saluzzo_a1_21015Gameplay: a big part of the map is pretty whack with the scale, but i thought this still played pretty decent, even if blu can get outside spawn while in preparation time (a/d is my favourite gamemode)
Visuals: dev textures and some cool structures here and there, but please fix the HDR or the brightness or whatever is causing my eyes to hurt.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Due to lack of any real insight into each entry's collaboration, everyone has been scored 5/5 because getting something together for a contest deadline is a notable achievement in and of itself

cp_compost_rc1
4​
6​
5​
The detailing is quite basic, gameplay spaces are mostly broken up only really by scattered props without much coherence, some shipping containers are even awkwardly half-embedded into a wall. The very even lighting works well for player recognition during testing but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of aesthetics. As a base there's potential but it needs work to turn it into a map that's fun and interesting to play
pl_gila_a3
13​
10​
5​
There's some interesting shapes going on in the blockout, enough to imagine the final thing. One stage is definitely bit bolder than the other though, both in terms of implied detail in the blockout and in terms of gameplay spaces. Not sure about putting "stage 1/2" on all the signs
pl_doomgoose_b1b
15​
18​
5​
The moody lighting and atmosphere are nice, particularly in the vista midway through for attackers when they arrive at the dock. The opaque shadows from chain link fances, lack of lights outside the gameplay area and use of bright white brick inside the gameplay area creates too strong a contrast for my taste. Taking the payload through the same area twice in two different parts of the payload path is a nice way to condense the space and create focus
mvm_regression_b1b
N/A​
N/A​
N/A​
N/A
2koth_tanglark_a5
13​
15​
5​
Using two different themed areas is a good way to differentiate the control points and warehouse/facade is classic TF2 fare. Unfortunately I don't feel like this version of the 2koth gamemode is psychologically very fun to play compared to other implementations
plr_slotcars_a1
11​
9​
5​
The layout is quite basic, there's just enough in visuals to imply what's coming. Unfortunately I feel like the appeal for slotcars is heavily tied to the artpass, which it didn't get. Sad there wasn't more progress made on this beyond _a1
pdr_espresso_b1a
18​
14​
5​
Always had fun playing this, the layout feels quite strong. Not convinced on the direction detailing is going yet, the layout geometry feels quite abstract and doesn't lend itself to feeling like a real place. I'm also disappointed in the size of the central tower, it's shorter than every single building in the skybox
pdr_cavefall_a3ab
14​
8​
5​
In terms of detail, there's not a lot to go on, only the barest hints at the direction things would go once artpassed. Gameplay though is alright, I think it would work better if there payload were moving through more open arenas as I often times found that I couldn't locate any enemy players
ultitrio_flinders_a3
N/A​
N/A​
N/A​
N/A
arena_jiltown_a5_fix
11​
12​
5​
There's not much to write home about here. The layout is about as small and minimal as you could get which resulted in incredibly quick rounds without many interesting plays. Even though it's lit, the map feels fullbight due to the extremely bright ambient colour which virtually eliminates any hint of shadow. It's disappointing to see lighting completely sidelined as a way to push interest in visuals
2koth_division_b2b_fix_2
17​
16​
5​
There was good progress on this one over the contest, ended up on a good mode and layout after struggling initially. The artpass is also coming together nicely, what's been submitted is a good solid base, I hope work continues and pushes some unique points of interest to help the map stand out from a crowd
pl_crestfall_a7a
14​
15​
5​
A solid start for detailing, can certainly see the direction it's going and it has promise. There is a little disjointed use of wood and brick walls inside the cave in stage 1 though that feels like it could use a bit of refinement, refocusing detailing in this area to one style
cp_rivolta_a6b
8​
5​
4​
I haven't had much fun playing this properly, only really by using cheese strategies possible because of shortcomings in the layout. There are too many twisty turny tight rooms and a lack of interesting arenas for players to fight in. I am also not a fan of the intensely noisy detailing, because the map is quite small, all the different elements are very close together leaving no areas of visual rest. The colours of the buildings are also at odds with TF2's palette, strong saturated blues and yellows, one building even seems to be a glowing lilac. Lost a point on collaboration because the second stage was scrapped
cp_saluzzo_a1_2
3​
7​
5​
There's some implied detail in the first stage that seems interesting but I'm not sure what to make of the implied building shapes in the second stage, it feels less grounded. There also seems to be a big disparity in scale between the two stages, stage 2 seems to be about 4 times larger than stage 1. Stage 1 felt a touch cramped to play in and stage 2 is sniper and wrangler heaven due to its size. These are basic issues that could have been worked out if time in the contest was used for testing

Aug 26, 2016
cp_compost_rc1555Visuals are absent. Looks not too much different from a dev map, just with textures applied.

Gameplay, very lacking as well. Point A is awkwardly to one side in a courtyard immediately outside Blue Spawn, and has a flank that leads Blue to Red Spawn.

Point B is lacking in any variety for Red holds and is plagued by omnipresent sightlines
pl_gila_a315105Visuals have decent shapes, but overall undetailed.

Gameplay, on stage 1 isn't great. Stage 2 plays a lot better though.
pl_doomgoose_b1b17185Visuals are impressive, though I'm personally not a fan of Foundry style.

Gameplay, the basic geometry is very good, but I think the map suffers from omnipresent flanks that are open at all times.
mvm_regression_b1bN/AN/AN/AN/A
2koth_tanglark_a514145
plr_slotcars_a1555The "rats" aesthetic is hardly developed and the map layout is very claustrophobic.
pdr_espresso_b1a13165
pdr_cavefall_a3ab1355The visuals, like many other maps, doesn't go beyond somewhat-textured dev map. The shapes are all very basic and boxy too.
ultitrio_flinders_a3N/AN/AN/AN/A
arena_jiltown_a5_fix13135
2koth_division_b2b_fix_2N/AN/AN/A
pl_crestfall_a7a20205The visuals and gameplay of the first stage's first point are spot on. really looking forward to seeing it get developed further.

The rest of the points aren't terrible either.
cp_rivolta_a6b13135
cp_saluzzo_a1_210105

Lawenda

Oct 7, 2017
cp_compost_rc1874Not fun too look and not that fun to play, obnoxious sightlines and rudimentary looks
pl_gila_a312104
Harsh lookin', the 2nd stage is better but there are small issues like no roll back
pl_doomgoose_b1b15174Not the clearest layout but it's pretty fun
mvm_regression_b1bHaven't playedHaven't playedHaven't played
2koth_tanglark_a510175Gameplaywise the worse implementation of 2koth and not as fun, it feels like whenever your team starts losing it's very hard to come back, nice to look at though!
plr_slotcars_a11174Dev textures and a goofy looking cart
pdr_espresso_b1a9165Not a very fun gamemode, due to a lackluster gameloop, the map layout is pretty cool though, and you can airblast people to death
pdr_cavefall_a3ab774Not much to look at and not a very fun implementation of the gamemode, due to a lackluster gameloop, also not that fun over all
ultitrio_flinders_a3Haven't playedHaven't playedHaven't played
arena_jiltown_a5_fix14113,5Pretty fun. Could be a little bigger
2koth_division_b2b_fix_219154Great gameplay, would love to play it more. Rounds can get a bit stale but overall it was not that much of an issue for me
pl_crestfall_a7a12154
cp_rivolta_a6b11172Well the 2nd stage got trashed
cp_saluzzo_a1_25105Broken spawns and not so fun of a map, obnoxious sightlines and too much space

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.