***Mini Mapping Contest 04 Upload Thread***

Discussion in 'Contest #4: Mapping Prefab' started by Snipergen, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's very impressive! Nice work guys.

2. Fearlezz

Fearlezz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. Gygrazok

Gygrazok L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello all, I'm new to this forum (and to mapping as well). This is the first time I release something I made, and I'm looking forward to listen to your suggestions. Probably there are a lots of mistakes, but I enjoyed a lot making this and I learned a lot too. I focused in adding interesting details more than on the structure of the complex.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=617

4. Ida

aa Ida deer

Positive Ratings:
    Are you sure that's your first map? Reeeally sure? :O

No, but really...that's some of the best work on a first map I've ever seen.

I'm gonna finish up mine today and upload it, since this is my last day with my map files for a few weeks.

5. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like how all these entries look like they are on the side of a cliff because of the no 3D skybox rule :p

6. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Whoever started these contests is a freaking genius! Please tell me all of these entries are available to download?

7. Snipergen

Positive Ratings:
    They should be or they are disqualified.

No download link in your post = no entry people!

3 days left!

8. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    FFFFuck gotta get back to work on this

9. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
  10. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Need more BLU

Whadda ya know. I stopped playing TF2 long enough to whip up a building. Took about 5 hours I think, was a bit rusty, now I'm hungry.

As soon as I eat I'm gonna DL all your entries, some nice stuff there.

$ Shot
    [​IMG]
    The spawn is under the balcony. The buildings are enterable but not fully detailed inside.

Couple of detail shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was hoping to get a red version done but I'll be back to work so this is my only chance at fame and noteriety :D

Good luck to everyone, I don't know who I'm gonna vote for, gonna be a tough choice.

Cool contest Idea, thanks for putting it on.

11. joshman

joshman L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks nice.

12. Tigger

Tigger L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
  13. Snipergen

Positive Ratings:
    Very nice work so far guys, remember, 1 day and 11 hours left :)

14. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    This is so crazy, lol. Really amazing work here. Any of these could easily be used as a main building, or a border for the skybox. We are so gonna do contest 5 asap.

15. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Good to see the entries are picking up speed :) Was worried there for a while.

16. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    It was a cool idea, I had thought about it for awhile. Just never thought of a location and was lacking inspiration until the last minute and just felt like doing it.

I kindof wish it had been either a red or blu contest, the next could've been the other. I'm interested to see what gets thought up next.

Maybe it could be something like 'build the coolest cap point' or something. More fodder to jumble together into a map. I thought the size restriction was great. Not too big or small. Something similar for another contest would be cool.

Maybe coolest alpine setting since that's really fresh right now.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  17. Banni

Banni L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    OK here's my entry. The initial idea was a kind of border checkpoint, but it turned into more of a compound. This was the first time I'd ever done anything in Hammer, so you can kind of see me learning as I go along, starting with the simple wooden garage, and ending up with the main 2-story building. I could spend a lot more time tweaking things, but I guess its now time to call it finished and try something new.
    Cheers for the competition, it has certainly helped focus and give me a target (with a deadline) to aim for. Any comments/feedback gratefully received :)

EDIT: Link to map

The main shot: (It wasn't until I came to try to take the screenshots that I realised how difficult I'd made if for myself in the way it was laid out. Couldn't get all the details I wanted into a single frame)
    [​IMG]

Stood on the garage:
    [​IMG]

Approaching the gate:
    [​IMG]

View from above:
    [​IMG]

Wide angle:
    [​IMG]

View from inside one of the checkpoint rooms:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the cage!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  18. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty cool Banni.

You could probably do a few things to add some detail but my suggestions are minimal. Probably the most noteable things that come to mind would be making the perimeter wall concrete just to break up the blue brick tex some.
    Maybe some roof vents, would just add a little and give players somewhere to hide.
    Open the wood garage for players to hide in.
    Maybe a tall lookout tower to give the whole scene more vertical volume.

I think it's pretty good as is though. I felt the same way as you, I could've spent hours more adding little details and whatnot but it got to the point where I had to say enough's enough :)

19. Banni

Banni L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually did have a lookout tower, but took it out as I just couldn't get it too look right. I agree it could benefit from a little more vertical scale. I've definitely learned a lot, and got ideas for things to try in my next piece of work.

By the way, how does voting work for these contests? Is there a panel I can bribe? ::p:

20. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Here we go! Tried to do something different. Looked for suggestions from my clan, told them I would make the first building anyone said. Well, that was interesting, the first guy said the "strip club from Porky's". So....I used it as inspiration for something aside from the usual industrial/mining/farming/lumber themes.. It's intentionally dark, I mean, who goes to a gentlemen's club when the sun is out!?

Money Shot!
    [​IMG]

Looking at the front entrance.
    [​IMG]

By the way, this sign was my first custom texture. I can improve on it A LOT.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to J_Theory for the car model. Parking lot couldn't have happened without it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.