Mapping; where doth lie the root for interest?

Did you play with Legos or a comparable building set when younger?

• Yes, I played with a building toy set

Votes: 111 94.9%
  • No, I did not

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Starcraft all the way!

And a sequel this year, probably:woot:

Come to think of it, the first maps I ever did were for SC, followed by WC3

I will have to agree with you on that! And actually I have my maps still hosted on my weak ass geocities site from highschool when I took web programming!

My Lame Ass Site

Don't hate, this was when I was first introduced to PS 7.0 six years ago! :p

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
I really enjoyed the construction of buildings, entire cities or whatever just came to my mind with lego bricks when I was a kid. I had more fun building stuff than actually playing with it. Lego technics was great too because of its additional features like hydraulics and electronics that allowed to create something more interactive.

My mapping experience started back in the days of Duke3D and Shadow Warrior. After that I got used to Worldcraft and did some maps for Half-Life, CS, Day of Defeat and of course Team Fortress Classic. Then there's a huge gap for a couple of years when I didn't create any maps at all until Team Fortress 2 had been released.

@Youme: My favourite RTS at the moment is Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance. Sure - it's not AoE but it's a very good game. You might take a look at it. In my eyes it's a lot better than any of the Command & Conquer titles I've played.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I'd like to get back into RTS games but all the current generation seem to have lost the good things that made AOE so unbelievably brilliant.
My favourite RTS at the moment is Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance. Sure - it's not AoE but it's a very good game. You might take a look at it. In my eyes it's a lot better than any of the Command & Conquer titles I've played.

I agree kinda, But i felt AoE 3 was garbage and i really couldn't stand supreme commander.

I LOVE DoW, CoH, then new Men of War is pretty good, AoM is great etc etc

Apr 19, 2009
*bump*
I have Legos:
001ifa.jpg

002jsg.jpg

003cyd.jpg

004ktx.jpg

005vil.jpg

006p.jpg

007fzy.jpg

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
this thread is giving me temptation to use the replace phrase feature on vbulletin for lego => legos

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I loved Legos a lot as a kid, I can't lie, but I think it's just my general enjoyment of video games and TF2 that lead me to try mapping.

I'm...not very good at it yet, but I'll keep at it. Yyyyyknow.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Valid point. Around here, you get sent to the guillotine if you don't know who Mickey Mouse is. :)