Mapping; where doth lie the root for interest?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MangyCarface, Apr 7, 2009.

?

Did you play with Legos or a comparable building set when younger?

1. Yes, I played with a building toy set

111 vote(s)
    94.9%
  2. No, I did not

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    I'd like to test the correlation between those who played with Legos, or another building set as a child, and those who map. Humor me?

2. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    I played with Legos and played lots of Sims 1 and 2, along with their expansions.

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Never played with legos, but I loved playing with my lego bricks.

I had a mahooosive collection (still do) I even had two of the original mindstorms kits, I made little "robomice" that could talk to each other :D

But actually my interest in games came from blitz basic my dad bought it when I was around 8 or 9 and we wrote a version of arkanoid together using it. fantastic times :D

EDIT: Fun fact: The very original of Worms was written with Blitz basic before being ported over to another language for its commerical release.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. Fireman

Fireman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Legos, K'nex , erector sets, I used to have heaps and heaps of all of them.

5. uma plata

uma plata L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Link'n logs ftw

6. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I have a tub of around 14,000 lego pieces sitting six feet away, and about 4000 k'nex pieces yonder further in the closest. I also had a few Capsela sets. edit: oh yes, link'n logs too!

Now for the weird one. My mother had a whole bunch of stencils for various kinds of design work, one of which was a bunch of road map symbols (lane merge, speed bump, highway signs, etc). I used to take said stencil and connect various symbols on a piece of paper in an intricate system to create, as I called them, "poop plants" (mature person translation: sewage treatment facility). I had all the different parts of the system named and what they did.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I used to have lots of LEGO bricks and other variants (some larger, more child friendly ones called Duplo, but I don't know if those were sold internatially). I never built anything complex, I just played around with them. A friend of mine used to build LEGO robots and stuff, though. :)

8. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had legos and this:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    i´ve build transformers out of my vast lego collection, still have it somewhere back home :)

10. AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000 I am inactive and make horrible maps

Positive Ratings:
    Yep, I played with lego when I was younger.

11. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Legos mostly, though some old school erector set sutff, when they were colored metal, not the rubber coated stuff now (those were actually my dad's). Never did anything quite so grad as what I'm seeing here, though I did go out and actually build things, like my own tree house, and generally explore a lot of stuff. I live in the country, so this is expected :-D

12. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think theres any boys who haven't played with legos when they where young

13. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, man. I was a massive Lego avid when I was a kid. I began playing with them as early as I can remember (or at least as early as I could without choking on them). My dad would buy me sets for my birthday, Christmas, etc.

Skip forward a few years. I had all the games, I was part of the Lego Club - I got their newsletter. I had an account on their website.

In my later years (of my earlier years), I mostly moved on to Mindstorms (the original ones) and Technic sets. I don't play with Legos anymore, but I still have all of my bricks and still enjoy looking through the catalog from time to time. :)

Other creative sets I used to have included Knex and some Erector Sets (don't laugh)

14. BagOfChips

BagOfChips L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had thousands of legos and knex and a knex roller coaster but my dad made me sell them all b/c I never touch them.

15. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Heh, looks like my initial suspicion has been confirmed. Quite the ratio!

16. BagOfChips

BagOfChips L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Explain this sentence please... :confused:

17. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    The 'correct' answer to the lego vs legos debate is it's neither, it's lego bricks
    If you still don't understand theres fierce debate about it being like sheep, multiple sheep are still called sheep, you never add an s on the end. This is actually how I learnt to say lego, never add an s because it's like sheep. it makes me rage when people say legos, so lego bricks ftw

18. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I got their mags for a long time. I always wanted to build some of the star wars ones. You know, the ones with 2k or so pieces that each cost ~$300.

I actually still have some of the stuff I built in my room, just because I only spend a max of 8 hours there when I visit home.

He's English. That should be more than enough of an explanation.

19. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    When I was young my brother and I used to make 'bases' out of megablocks (oversized legos for babies... easier to make layouts with) and try to besiege each other with soldiers/catapaults

Usually concludes with both bases violently 'exploding'

fun fun

20. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    Not everyone's British. :rolleyes: