Mapping; where doth lie the root for interest?

Did you play with Legos or a comparable building set when younger?

• Yes, I played with a building toy set

Votes: 111 94.9%
  • No, I did not

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
I had legos and this:

knex.jpg

That's photoshopped. You can see the pixels and the shadows don't match.

Also, I had so many capsela, but my weather capsela was the best.

kwagner

L2: Junior Member
Feb 28, 2009
I didn't have lego bricks and such**, but I would build things out of whatever junk/broken toys/scrap wood I could get my hands on. I also had Hot Wheels, and liked building complex tracks out of basic track components.

** Partially due to economics, partially because, since I expect I am older than the average around here, having huge collections of legos or a full erector set or such things was rarer at the time I was a kid.

So I think we should consider cause/effect here. Did playing with Legos create people who would later become mappers? Or did our mapping oriented brains find playing with Legos attractive?

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
It's not shooped. Also this pic is a modded version of the original structure, the original is very similar.
K%27Nex%20Ball%20Factory%20(large).jpg

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
clearly it means there's a danish god of legs, its quite plausable

Yeah, that would be Thor or one of those guys...

Anyway, how many of you have visited Legoland, the lego theme parks? :)

Walliard

L1: Registered
Jan 5, 2009
I dabbled, but got frustrated easily due to my poor manual dexterity. Had I been more patient, I'd probably have been more interested.

Connect_Four

Jan 28, 2009
Lego's rocked my younger years. My only problem was that I could never achieve perfect symmetry on things like space ships and the like :|

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS.
(waits for Youme's top to blow :p ) lol

Anyway, I think it's kindof a generations thing (the toys brought up).

My older cousins had the erector sets and some lego brix, I had lego... erectors weren't as popular, then lego started doing star wars...

But I never played runescape (we had D&D which is only cool if you are the nerdy dungeon master killing everyone off with some 'secret trap'. So much for that lvl 80 druid eh?)
Pokemon is like five generations younger than me.

But I think it is more of mappers just being a creative type, and toys like legos being a creative toy. I always liked the 'mature lego' sets with engines and they had plastic rods to tie stuff together (less brix) but unfortunately my parents were out of touch and always bought the kiddie ones they liked.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
It's a... "new age" thing to call them Legos.

It's sort of how lots of members of this forum have their names shortened when someone is talking to or about them. Boojum is Booj/Snark/etc, Nineaxis is Nine, The Magic Potato is Potato...

... You get the idea.

/me waits for youme to call everyone that says "legos" a whippersnapper.

kwagner

Feb 28, 2009
But I never played runescape (we had D&D which is only cool if you are the nerdy dungeon master killing everyone off with some 'secret trap'. So much for that lvl 80 druid eh?)

Ah, that brings up another poll subject.

If you played D&D, were you a player, or a DM?

(Much DMing on my part.)

no means nomad

L1: Registered
Dec 23, 2008
I never even touched my Lego set until I was older. And even then it became more of a customizable block dildo set rather than a Lego set.