Map Compiling Problems

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Gravidea, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Gravidea

Gravidea L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So I recently started working on pkmn_sootopoliscity_a1 (which I mentioned in another thread) but I soon noticed I was having trouble compiling the map to test in Hammer. I even tried messing around with the Expert Settings and changing the RAD to Fast but to no avail. It says not respond when I try to compile, and for those of you who may think it just takes a while, I went and made food and came back (about 30 minutes) and it still wasn't responding. The only option was to close it. Regardless of if it finished or not, I still wouldn't be able to stand for it. I don't want to wait an hour every time I just want to compile and test my map, especially if it's for something small. I then found a video tutorial that would be about Valve Batch Compile Tool. It didn't explain it in too much detail but I tried it out. This seems like the solution to my compiling problem, but I just can't seem to get it to work properly. I can't seem to find any solutions online. I would like to find the quickest way to compile my map to test it, so any help would be appreciated, whether that be a way to get my compile program to work or find a way to compile with just the hammer editor. Screenshots of the problems will be shown below. Thanks in advance! Compile Program.png Compile Issue.png

2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    You likely have not done any func_detailing.

It's a long and lengthy explination, but essentially, your compile is not broken. It's just taking a REALLY long time, maybe hours upon hours. And the hammer compiler appears to freeze mid-way (while it's still compiling later).

Try watching this

or if you prefer reading, read this http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=func_detail

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    VBCT is only a wrapper for Hammer's compile processes, so it won't necessarily make your compile faster. From your second screenshot, I can see that your compile is stuck at PortalFlow, which means your vis optimization needs work. See this guide http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php or the video posted by Freyja who ninja'd me while I was typing this

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    Ah yes, a UEAKcrash video. I saw this video at some point but forgot it existed.

Thanks for the quick response Freyja. Big fan by the way. I'll take a look into that video.

5. Gravidea

Positive Ratings:
    After reading a little bit more into optimization and visleafs, I've been adding some func_details to my map and compiling seems to be running a lot quicker normally. It still takes a while, so I'll check into that if the compiling process still takes a long time.

Though, thank you both for the quick and helpful responses! I will keep you posted on if any more issues pop up. I hope you know how much I appreciate the help. This is helping me complete my dream map.

Edit: My map has a tonne of slopes in it. The part of the game that I am recreating with this map has a lot of inclines, so I had to replicate that part too. It may be one of the bigger reasons on why there are so many vizleafs.