Maelstrom

MVM Maelstrom rc1

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
25507DB2A6A497C09B48ED25822536D5568ED620

Also, the forward upgrade station seems to be nonfunctional.

EDIT: A couple more observations:

The little Christmas-gnome Heavies in wave 2 were a cute idea, but they seem overpowered, particularly against players trying to collect money. They tend to swarm, so in the rare occurrence getting stunned by one isn't an instant death sentence, you're liable to get hit by another immediately afterward. If your dedicated money collector is a pyro, he might be able to fend them off, but I suspect scouts would have a harder time. We were stuck replaying that wave probably more than ten times before the map time limit ended and crashed the server.

The sound that's supposed to be coming from the idling truck seems to be centered over the hatch instead.

It's not just that one window that can be walked through; it's all of the ones that use that prop.

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Gameplay: 10
Layout is pretty solid. No scale issues, no sightline issues, and the players have an opportunity to get height over the robots in a number of spots. It wouldn't hurt to have even more obvious high ground, but this map certainly has the best layout in the contest.

Waves: 8
Bots were fun to fight against, but not without some issues. First, your heavies that set people on fire were an absolute nightmare, and should just be flat out removed. This also goes for guillotine scouts, as you can't very easily see what you're being hit with. From a player perspective, anything that hurts you in a non-obvious way is going to be irritating. However, aside from these gripes (and a few others I mention in my notes), your waves are pretty solid and fun to play against.

Aesthetics: 8
Maelstrom has a nice feel to it, with birds chirping in the background and nice trees. However, there were some weird narrative issues (shipping containers in a garage), as well as some noticeably bare spots. Lastly, your alpha painting is really random and doesn't seem to follow any pattern. However, aside from these things, the detailing was good.

Technical: 8
-No cubemaps
-Bots didn't always follow the right path (could be wrong)
-Bots spawned in world sometimes (generated console errors)
-Death pit doesn't work properly? Won't count this against you since I never saw it happen
Not many points were taken off because none of this really affected the gameplay.

Full Judgement PDF

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
So I'm going to be updating to RC2 within the next few weeks.
ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK is requested here. I'm most likely not going to make another version after this one for a long time! I'm going to me making absolute sure that it's well made!
(I've already corrected everything brought about in the Aesthetics and Technical side of the judge reviews so far. I'll get the wave issues to Turbo ASAP so that's that.)

Dry Paratroopa

L1: Registered
Jun 6, 2013
Giant Robots (or at least the Giant Pyros) can get stuck in their spawn if they're going to jump down on the middle entrance.

sitebender

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2012
I just got done playing this with a group of 5 that occasionally had a 6th. It is a good map, mostly because of the enemy variety. Huo Long, Guillotines, phlogs and tickle gnomes. Without those, the map would be less memorable. It feels very rampy without a gradual increase in height. The paths are good, because they are very different paths, one takes you low through water, and the other takes you over a bridge. Very nice as opposed to the 'left or right' method. The routes also feel long enough without being long or short.

While not my favorite map, its still good and memorable.

sitebender

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2012
Tried playing it again. We made it up to the guillotine scouts. It glitched with 2 giant soldiers left. They never dropped. That sort of thing happens in the official maps too, so its probably a game issue. Also a wide consensus was that we didn't need a scout, because we had more than enough money by the end. We went through waves 3 and 4 with only 4 people easy enough with soldier, pyro, engi and heavy.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Small update: apparently after porting this to the new forums I had a broken rc3 download linked instead of the proper rc1 download. I don't actually remember or recall where the rc3 file came from, or why it's in my dropbox, but hopefully everything's sorted now. Sorry to anyone who has had confusion caused because of this.

island55

Nov 14, 2011
where are the pop files for the most recent version? the only thing in the download file i found is the map and nothing else. thanks

Addictedgamer

Sep 25, 2017
Pit does not reset bomb correctly, bomb warps back to the surface near the pit.

Could it be the props?