Judge Applications for Ye Olde Conteste (Unofficial Minor Contest)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Hello. I thought about holding off on posting this for a while, but I figure I may as well get started on now so more people have time to consider if they're willing to participate or not.

Put simply, this is the thread for saying if you want to be a judge for the upcoming "Ye Olde Conteste" contest starting in September. (CLICK ME for more information!) I'm aiming for either three or five judges total.

Expectations
1. You are expected to actively participate in tests. There will be weekly planned tests, from me, over the contest period at fluctuating times on Tuesdays. If you cannot attend these, I will not hesitate to cut you from your role if you are under-attending. If you can only attend imps, that is okay, but make sure you communicate this. If you want to host tests, please also talk to me so I can get you situated with either getting trained to host tests or (should you need it) help you with planning tests.
2. You are expected to help in delineations with contest rules. You are a judge, therefore you're expected to help guide people if they're confused on the rules. If you yourself are confused on the rules, TALK TO ME. I'll have a clarifications post under the main post of the contest page, when it's up.
3. I expect you to understand that, if you apply to be a judge in the event, any map you work on will not be allowed to place officially. We will still allow you to make a map for the contest, and to get voting for it, but you cannot place nor be a finalist.

If you feel you are not well-equipped to handle at least one of these things, I'd recommend not making an application.

Formatting
It's encouraged, but not required, that you structure your application something like this:

Judge: Katsu! :3
Previous Experience With Medieval: "I've made 30,000 medieval mode maps before."
Current view on Medieval: [Enjoyer] / [Neutral] / [Unenjoyer]
"Why do you want to be a judge?": I want to be a judge in this contest because I'm literally the host of it you dweeb. Can't you read?

Your application is your comment to this thread. Applications will be allowed up until August 25th, 2024, 12:00AM EST. You will be notified by Robo-Katsu if you've been accepted as a judge.

Last edited:

Malachite Man

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 16, 2015
Judge: Malachite Man
Previous Experience with Medieval: Played hours on Burghausen, DegrootKeep, Siege, (some of) Shanksgiving & other Medieval Maps to list
Current View on Medieval: Enjoyer
Why do I want to be a Judge?: I want to be a more proactive part of the community & giving people GOOD feedback on maps is important to me

robopan

L1: Registered
Sep 9, 2023
Judge: robopan
Previous Experience With Medieval: "I've made cp_siege, I've played multiple medieval maps, and I may or may not engage routinely in medieval fights in real life."
Current view on Medieval: Enthusiastically enjoyer
"Why do you want to be a judge?": I like medieval.

half

aa
Feb 15, 2015
Judge: half
Previous Experience With Medieval: I made the domination map Prithee and the arena respawn map Lollery for past 72hr jams. I've playtested a good amount of medieval maps over time on TF2M and played the casual medieval maps a fair bit.
Current view on Medieval: Neutral
"Why do you want to be a judge?": Medieval mode has always felt like a mode with a ton of potential, but a lot of maps just go the DeGroot Keep route, which, while fun enough, gets stale pretty quickly for me. I would like to promote creativity in this mode and give good feedback from my particular point of view to see maps created that do something unique and fun with the gamemode. I think the inclusion of a "uniqueness" score is a great idea and really lends itself to what I want to see done with medieval.

Last edited:

Gruppy

aa
Jun 22, 2016
Judge: Gruppy
Previous Experience With Medieval: Made ctf_graveshift
Current View on Medieval: Neutral
"Why do you want to be a judge?"
: I think it'd be fun, plus I think there a lot of design space surround Medieval which people haven't really explored; would be interesting to see what gets made.

Jul 15, 2023
Judge: mousejumper
Previous Experience With Medieval: Attempted to create a KotH medieval map, koth_campfire (didn't make it past early alpha.) Plenty of playtime on DeGroot, Shanksgiving, Mudieval, and some other alpha Medieval maps.
Current View on Medieval: Neutral, leaning towards unenjoyer
"Why do you want to be a judge?": While Medieval is fun in concept, it's a gamemode that can get stale quickly. I want to be harsh in finding maps that are not only fun once, but an enjoyable experience time and time again. I also want to see maps where the Huntsman isn't as dominant; DeGroot especially just becomes a sniper fest once C is contestable. While my opinion on the current Medieval maps is negative, I want to use that to channel creativity in solving the quintessential Medieval issues and creating masterpieces in mapping the middle millennium.

ChristmasFlavoredJukebox

Dec 11, 2021
Judge: ChristmasFlavoredJukebox
Previous Experience With Medieval: None, I don't make maps. Edit: i play this mode a LOT
Current View : Enjoyer
Why do you want to be a judge? : Well to start, I LOVE medieval because (as you know) I main spy, and I also very simply think we need more medieval maps and recognition.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
Judge: Fiddleford
Previous Experience With Medieval: "I've completed Jungle Inferno's DeGroot Keep contract / I've playtested a bunch of Medieval maps on TF2M's servers"
Current view on Medieval: [Unenjoyer]
"Why do you want to be a judge?": Currently I find most Medieval maps to be not worth my time due to them feeling repetitive after a few rounds. However, I do believe that this problem can be solved with good level design. I hope this contest would be a perfect stepping stone for Medieval maps to try something interesting and I will gladly help with my expertise in mapping by being a judge.

Yaki

aa
Sep 3, 2018
Judge: Yaki
Previous Experience With Medieval: "Years of trying to remix medieval mode through map logic and vscript. I also made the Renaissance Revival weapons pack in TF2 Classic."
Current view on Medieval: [Enjoyer]
"Why do you want to be a judge?": I want to experience what being a judge means. And I just really like medieval mode for how much of a hot mess it can be sometimes when done right.

Sprinkles The Opossum

Stinky Possum
aa
Jun 24, 2017
Judge: Sprinkles
Previous Experience With Medieval: played a bunch of medieval and make a vscript just to fix the hitreg
"Why do you want to be a judge?": I want to be a judge in this contest because i worked on the melee vscript to hopefully improve medieval, also im a big enjoyer of medieval when most people don't like it.

The Rat MMan

Feb 18, 2024
Judge: The Rat Man
Previous Experience With Medieval: Played a whole lot of medieval maps whether it's the maps currently in casual or the loads more within the community along with also many WIP maps from here as well.
"Why do you want to be a judge?": I'd want to be a judge in this particular contest due part because I absolutely adore the game-mode and without a doubt I'd appreciate divulging into all sorts of content in this contest as said judge as to give a full extent of Medieval as a whole when it's arguably a more underappreciated mode on live tf2.

Status
Not open for further replies.